[Definitive] Will My WP Phone Get Updated Thread

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I only wish MS would adopt the Apple update model and cut the carriers from the process completely, but so far actions speak for themselves and Microsoft seems to be on the side of carriers rather than consumers.

This thread is not meant to be a thread to whinge at MS, it was to suppress this idea that WP8 wouldn't be upgradeable to WP8.1.

To address your points however.

1. MS wanted to adopt the same system, however, being a distant third doesn't give them much power.
2. Without being on the carriers side, people wouldn't get those contract deals for cheap phones.
3. I have very little doubt that if carriers get the chance they'll do the exact same to Apple in the future.

Keep in mind one thing and trust me I'm not backing the carriers, I hate the idea that they have any say in whether your phone gets updated or not, the carrier just wants you to get a new phone on a new contract. That's all they want from you. They could care less about you in general. They just want your cash. That's their business model. That's every company's business model.

Reality sucks doesn't it?

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
This thread is not meant to be a thread to whinge at MS, it was to suppress this idea that WP8 wouldn't be upgradeable to WP8.1.

To address your points however.

1. MS wanted to adopt the same system, however, being a distant third doesn't give them much power.
2. Without being on the carriers side, people wouldn't get those contract deals for cheap phones.
3. I have very little doubt that if carriers get the chance they'll do the exact same to Apple in the future.

Keep in mind one thing and trust me I'm not backing the carriers, I hate the idea that they have any say in whether your phone gets updated or not, the carrier just wants you to get a new phone on a new contract. That's all they want from you. They could care less about you in general. They just want your cash. That's their business model. That's every company's business model.

Reality sucks doesn't it?
The carriers have nothing to do with the updates here, only the OEM. WP is so small rthat our carriers ignore the update process. Still, updates are slow as hell due to Nokia waiting as long as effin possible.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The carriers have nothing to do with the updates here, only the OEM. WP is so small rthat our carriers ignore the update process. Still, updates are slow as hell due to Nokia waiting as long as effin possible.

Again, this is not a beat up on MS and Nokia thread. It's about whether your phone will get updated, in which case it will. That's all. No point arguing over how long updates takes, there's nothing you can do about it. Also my statement about carriers was a general statement. I can't know every possible scenario.

Ankmeyester

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'll be pushing my 720 as far as it can go. Even if in the future, i may need to buy a phone with more advanced hardware to keep up with the industry, I can't bear to let my 720 go. Here's hoping that 512mb devices get a lot of feature upgrades and go on to the next few major revisions (till 9 at least) :D a man can dream :p

P.S. I didn't find it too hard to let go from my year old 610 :p

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I think this will be only for the 1GB ram devices, not sure of the 520 can be upgradeable to 8.1

Please don't mislead information. It has been told several time that "All the devices running Windows Phone 8 will be able to get Windows Phone 8.1".
Now why are you saying that only 1GB RAM devices would get that.. OS has really nothing to do with apps..

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
When it was originally stated that all 'current' WP8 phones would get 8.1 the 625 didn't exist, I believe. Technically that could mean that the 625 may not get the upgrade, but I very much doubt it. Certainly having a low memory, basic device is no bar in itself as the 520, 620 & 720 will all be upgraded.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The answer to the question in the title is, "Yes, if you have a WP8 device." But the correct question to be asking is, "When will my phone get updated?" For many of us, that answer remains elusive.

anandkumar44

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
The answer to the question in the title is, "Yes, if you have a WP8 device." But the correct question to be asking is, "When will my phone get updated?" For many of us, that answer remains elusive.

I think may be all queries will be answered in the coming BUILD 2014 in April..............

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
All Windows Phone 8 phones are eligible for update to WP8.1 barring any hardware limitations, which means you may not get the full update but the majority of it.

The main question is whether or not your carrier will release it for your specific device if it's a contract device. For example, my phone is unlocked but still tied to EE update cycle. I am currently without the Black update because of this. It's possible EE may not even bother releasing WP8.1 for my two year old phone. This is the 'real' issue with carrier approved updates. They have the option to 'not bother'.

Hopefully there will be something from MS to bypass carrier blocks. I'm not holding my breath but it would be nice.

anandkumar44

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Ya MS already stated that all Windows Phone 8 devices will be upgraded to 8.1 but we may have to consider few things like not all features gonna work on all devices alike. As for how and exaclty when we will get the 8.1 version that should only be cleared at BUILD 2014.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077