Would you recommend WP8?

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Come on if you won't recommend WP8 what OS will you recommend ?? I have had all three major OS's my experience is : regarding IOS well actually its is a bad copy of WP more locked in terms of security , no personalization just stupid still icons , compared to WP kind of lagy , but they just have apps and to be honest a wonderful app store but I would take WP over it any day , as for android they are great actually but to much freedom excessive freedom actually which gave the opportunity to an average user to root his mobile which some may find cool but it defiantly destroys the mobile in every aspect also they have apps like apple actually has better customization than WP (widgets, lock screen shortcuts, wallpapers , live wallpapers , etc) but the lag is unbearable, another bad thing is of I bought an xperia sola (midrange smartphone) it is preloaded with gingerbread OS but planed to be upgraded to ICS OS once I do the update (official update planed by google) the mobile lags in opening the lock screen lags even when I am playing with the settings or even small games (solitaire) but compared to WP when I updated my Lumia the the unofficial GDR3 update (early access for developers). The mobile became more stable never laged unlike Google's android btw the sola OS more expensive than a Lumia 720 which in terms of hardware and software is more superior than the sola to cut it short WP is the more rational choice not as open as android and not as locked as IOS also it has customization not as android but it is more fluid and beautiful and DOES NOT LAG unlike Android of course if we just have apps and a bit more customization and a notification center I assure you we will be the best

Ahmed Hassan7

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Nope. Not at all. I was misled to believe microsoft can change. WP8 fails to deliver even small useful features like separate audio toggles and tries to match up Android & iOS?? It lacks the apps so there's that. There's no jailbreaking! There's tons of bugs which MS is known for. Last but not the least, you don't get update like Apple does and also each update is a teaspoon worth of features. Why can't the company give major update already? I'm so leaving WP8 as soon as I get the chance!

First of all jailbreak is slowly destroying the mobile and regarding updates (GDR2,GDR3) these are SMALL updates the major update will be 8.1 Blue , and just so you know no jailbreak is something positive this means we are the only platform that is not hacked

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Always loved my windows phones, HTC Touch, HTC HD2, HTC HD7, HTC Titan and Nokia 920. Yesterday friends were asking “would I recommend Windows 8” Being honest NO. It may look great but, tiles frequently don’t update, late notifications, MS servers constantly overwhelmed and terrible battery drain. When Windows phone 7 came out it was innovating, unfortunately now, what was once the future is now plagued with issues.

Yes I do actually I do it every day. Why?

[INFO]There is nothing that Android or iPhone can do that makes it worth giving up what Windows Phone does BETTER.
[/INFO]
I don't know what WP you are using but you need a factory replacement. The battery drain issues with the 920 can't be denied it happens to two many people. It never happened to me on my 920 but people experience things differently. Live tiles not updating FREQUINTLY? Are you embellishing a bit here? Live tiles not updating is bad code from the App developer lets point the finger the right direction here. "MS servers constantly overwhelmed" What? Lets move on nothing to see here. "When Windows phone 7 came out it was innovating, unfortunately now, what was once the future is now plagued with issues." SAYS YOU. Look around WP is the fastest growing OS for a reason. This OS and the hardware used is in a monthly no daily state of transition. Watch the blog page we get new updated apps every day. The rate of software development going on right now is staggering. Look at the hardware that is hitting the market in just a few days. WOW! I am so proud of this I want to shout it from a mountain somewhere. What do you call compelling? The ho hum business as usual 10+ year old IOS software and hardware? Maybe its Android you would recommend? Then watch as your friends reset their devices 2-3 times a day just to make a phone call. I guess your not the only one who can embellish a bit,

Back to the question do I recommend WP? Yes I do.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Always loved my windows phones, HTC Touch, HTC HD2, HTC HD7, HTC Titan and Nokia 920. Yesterday friends were asking ?would I recommend Windows 8? Being honest NO. It may look great but, tiles frequently don?t update, late notifications, MS servers constantly overwhelmed and terrible battery drain. When Windows phone 7 came out it was innovating, unfortunately now, what was once the future is now plagued with issues.
Is this your experience? "MS servers constantly overwhelmed, late notifications, plagued with issues". How so? How do you own so many versions yourself, (if you did own these you listed) say you love these phones, but tell your friends to go with anything but Windows Phone 8? For the record, I'd recommend WP8 in a NY minute.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Well as most people said here it depends on what they want to use it for.
Android is more advanced and have more apps and games,but you need a good phone to run smoothly.
WP8 is more simple than other Mobile OS',it have less apps and games,but i like the design + it runs really smoothly on my lumia 520.
iOS,well i wouldn't really recommend that.
Conclusion,it depends on everyone's taste and what he wants to use his mobile,and honestly i would recommend WP8 to other people.

lexinoo

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Android is not the laggy experience it used to be with modern high spec devices though is it.My son and wife both have nexus 4s and they don't suffer from lag,crashes etc.The nexus 5 is even faster and kitkat is supposed to be another step up and improve things on lower spec devices.
I really want to love wp8 but apart from the camera i honestly can't find anything better about my 920 than the nexus's.(including the price)
wp8 is nice,smooth and simple and my 920 has a great screen but as a smartphone android and ios blow it out the water in my opinion.
I really hope Microsoft step upto the mark and quickly.

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I would never recommend it to anyone starting a 2 year contract. What i would recommend though is to purchase one used or a 520\521, swap it on to their line and try it for a while. If they don't like it, sell the phone for minimal loss or maybe they will find WP8 isn't too bad.

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Lately i found something interesting:
Since mid-2011, Microsoft has had the ability to detect exactly what software is installed on your phone, whether added through the Marketplace or sideloaded. As a result, installation of any illegally acquired software will be listed on Microsoft’s servers against your Windows Live account. You wouldn’t want that to happen, now would you?
That means that is almost impossible for someone to pirate apps on WP8.
Not sure if this is good or not.

Nemanja Pavlovic

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I generally tell people that if you don't want or can't afford a high end android (or Iphone) get a WP8. Low and midrange Lumias beat everything else in their price zones, especially for people who aren't too tech savvy. High end Lumias are awesome as well, but if you really want to tinker with your phone a lot and be able to modify anything, then WP8 isn't for you. I'd usually fit in that group of people, but since I've lost lots of respect for Google, love Nokia and don't mind Microsoft - i went with the 920. Fingers crossed that the Lumia line will prevail in it's full glory after the takeover, otherwise I don't know what my next phone will be...

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Obviously. If I believed there were a better OS, I wouldn't be using WP. I've recommended it to dozens of people already.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Obviously. If I believed there were a better OS, I wouldn't be using WP. I've recommended it to dozens of people already.

I don't think it's about being better or worse. Not everyone is able to appreciate what WP does better, and most of those advantages aren't in-your-face obvious, whereas the negatives are. I consider WP to be an acquired taste. Like music that grows on you, or a fine wine that still requires aging.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Is this your experience? "MS servers constantly overwhelmed, late notifications, plagued with issues". How so? How do you own so many versions yourself, (if you did own these you listed) say you love these phones, but tell your friends to go with anything but Windows Phone 8? For the record, I'd recommend WP8 in a NY minute.

it would seem to be your experience too:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-gdr3-preview/248888-gdr-3-fixes-long-time-bugs.html

Divair

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think it's about being better or worse. Not everyone is able to appreciate what WP does better, and most of those advantages aren't in-your-face obvious, whereas the negatives are. I consider WP to be an acquired taste. Like music that grows on you, or a fine wine that still requires aging.
Hm, perhaps. I'll be looking forward to WP8.1 If they include enough new features, we might see the image of the OS among the general population change dramatically.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do actually I do it every day. Why?

There is nothing that Android or iPhone can do that makes it worth giving up what Windows Phone does BETTER.

I don't know what WP you are using but you need a factory replacement. The battery drain issues with the 920 can't be denied it happens to two many people. It never happened to me on my 920 but people experience things differently. Live tiles not updating FREQUINTLY? Are you embellishing a bit here? Live tiles not updating is bad code from the App developer lets point the finger the right direction here. "MS servers constantly overwhelmed" What? Lets move on nothing to see here.

Back to the question do I recommend WP? Yes I do.

First, your use cases must be very limited to make such an overarching statement. Forget what WP does better, there are too many things it is flat-out incapable of doing. Granted, maybe a small minority actually need that functionality. But even common tasks, like email attachments, are annoying or impossible to do.

Next, so-called "Live Tiles" are hard-limited at updating every 30 mins. That's broken, right there. Many reports of no or unreliable updates leads me to believe that coding properly for this is difficult, OR the live tile system is flawed. Regardless, consumers don't care. Those same developers do it well on other platforms. I don't care. MS, fix it.

What do I call compelling? The 5S' fingerprint lock, the first time biometrics has been implemented usefully, in a reliable manner, for authentication on a mobile device. Google Now, which monitors my appointments, flights, location, public transit, telling me when I leave my home that the Piccadilly Line is not in service today and I should instead to to Euston and take the Northern line, getting off at Tottenham Court Road instead of Covent Garden. Voice search, recognising the context and adapting accordingly. Now these are compelling things that I can actually do with my phone and go beyond simple aesthetic flourishes which mean little.

Now I appreciate the engineering needed to get a good 41 MP snapper in to a phone chassis, but that's not really changing the game - it's evolutionary, a case of "get a bigger effing hammer".

WP would be better served if we had people capable of recognising the platform's flaws and acknowledging them, which may see some improvement in the platform, rather than camouflaging them as "smoothness!" and "fluidity!" and "security!". Bright colours are nice for some tween out to impress the birds and a good camera helps when you want to post pics of whatever your baby just did, but I want to get work done.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

This is what friends from Scotland tell me about haggis :)

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As the resident "expert" in mobile- in other words, "the only one who reads about it", The answer has been repeted over and over-

How do you use your device?

If you love apps and tinkering with your phone or have a hardware requirement you have to have (keyboard, ECT)- Android is most likely your thing.

If you love apps and hate tinkering and do not mind paying a little more, Apple might fit your bill.

If you do not care that much about apps, do not want to tinker, and maybe want something a little different, WP is right up your alley.

Are they worried about stability? Steer away from Android.

Are you interested in keeping your device a full two years and maybe beyond? Both Apple and WP are solid choices.

It all goes on and on. Ask me why I use WP, I can sell you on it. Tell me how you want to use your smartphone, and I can recommend what should work for you.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I used Windows OS on a Lumia 1020 for a couple of months. I didn't mind it at first, but after a while you start to realize how ancient it seems. It feels as if certain things were implemented and never finished.

The best way for me to describe it is that it felt very much like a beta test. You'll have to try it out for yourself to judge it fairly, but I got a Note 3 and couldn't believe how many features and settings I had at my finger tips.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa