Would you recommend WP8?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
First, your use cases must be very limited to make such an overarching statement. Forget what WP does better, there are too many things it is flat-out incapable of doing. Granted, maybe a small minority actually need that functionality. But even common tasks, like email attachments, are annoying or impossible to do.

Next, so-called "Live Tiles" are hard-limited at updating every 30 mins. That's broken, right there. Many reports of no or unreliable updates leads me to believe that coding properly for this is difficult, OR the live tile system is flawed. Regardless, consumers don't care. Those same developers do it well on other platforms. I don't care. MS, fix it.

What do I call compelling? The 5S' fingerprint lock, the first time biometrics has been implemented usefully, in a reliable manner, for authentication on a mobile device. Google Now, which monitors my appointments, flights, location, public transit, telling me when I leave my home that the Piccadilly Line is not in service today and I should instead to to Euston and take the Northern line, getting off at Tottenham Court Road instead of Covent Garden. Voice search, recognising the context and adapting accordingly. Now these are compelling things that I can actually do with my phone and go beyond simple aesthetic flourishes which mean little.

Now I appreciate the engineering needed to get a good 41 MP snapper in to a phone chassis, but that's not really changing the game - it's evolutionary, a case of "get a bigger effing hammer".

WP would be better served if we had people capable of recognising the platform's flaws and acknowledging them, which may see some improvement in the platform, rather than camouflaging them as "smoothness!" and "fluidity!" and "security!". Bright colours are nice for some tween out to impress the birds and a good camera helps when you want to post pics of whatever your baby just did, but I want to get work done.

First I will speek to my use case. Over the last month I started with a Note 3 got it on launch day. Got it with a GG Watch I like to check out the competition to see what is so great. The next big thins is not so big. It is buggy and at time rendered useless by buggy flat lines that cause the system to crash needing to be reset. This makes the whole system useless to me. I need a device that works as described. I need a reliable device that I can count on to work. If my customer needs an answer money is lost if I have to reset my phone before I can respond. Next I traded the Note 3 for a iPhone 5s Gold 16gb. Here is my experience with the finger print scanner. Finger one no read, try again, no read try again, finger two read. Next time I start the phone finger one no read try again, no read try again enter code. Reprogram finger one works for a day then, no read try again enter code. That is my experience with the iPhone 5S finger print scanner. Its a waist of time just enter the code its faster.

On screen live tile INRIX traffic double tap the screen eyes open look at live tile, lock screen question asked and answered. If I see a red line on the map that is in my path I open the hub and check. Tap places, go to work get the map and make an informed decision on the best rout to my destination. Android Voice command is flawed it does not work. Samsung's version is even worse. That is my experience with the highest end Samsung Android device the Note 3. Apple has the advantage with VC SIRI is a great program. That said Windows Phone VC is just as usable and gets the job done. Though lacks the personal touch you get with SIRI.

What WP needs to improve will come. What Windows Phone has now, what it can do now makes it a good choice for most consumers. I recommend it over Android Note 3 and iPhone 5s and I can do this confidently having recently spend weeks with both devices. How about you have you owned a iPhone 5s, Note 3 and Windows Phone Lumia 1020? I have and I can tell you I will stick with my Lumia and I will recommend Windows Phone over any other OS on the market today.

There is nothing that Android or iPhone can do that makes it worth giving up what Windows Phone does BETTER.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys realise the OP has not posted even once after his first post and the only post on WPCentral?

Even so, it's a good topic.

My answer - like so many of the other knowledgeable, level-headed answers we've seen in this thread - depends on several factors. Primarily, "to whom am I making this recommendation?" If I'm making it to people who have used Android and/or iOS and are heavily invested in those systems, no way. They'll be better off staying with what they know and like. Unless they're a total tech-head like me who wants to explore alternate solutions, then certainly; I recommended it to one of the other IT guys at work, who was a die-hard Android guy - and he prefers WP to Android (he's also picked up a Surface as well, so he's hooked. Heh.)

Would I recommend it to someone who only wants specific apps? Not yet. But I recently recommended WP to a buddy of mine for his wife who hasn't owned a smartphone and didn't care about the specific apps, but wanted similar functionality to her friends iPhones and Androids. I found apps which do the same things, and she loves it. (Of course, it wasn't a hard sell. He's a pretty die-hard MS guy to begin with and a very talented MS SQL/.NET developer.)

Would I recommend it to my business? No, because we are international and I don't think there are any international Windows Phones (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that WP devices on US carriers are not the international versions). But to a local business that is invested in Microsoft (Exchange, Office, etc.)? Oh, totally. I use my 920 under my company's BYOD policy (I never travel internationally), and it excels... although VPN connectivity is on my list of "want to haves".

What about my brother and girlfriend? No, they're way too enamored of their iPhones. But my dad? Oh yeah, because it would be a good fit for him...

...and that's what it comes down to. Would WP be a good fit for the person to whom you're making the recommendation? If so, yeah, I'll make it. If not, no, they'll be happier elsewhere.

rowlie

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
One or two people have questioned my love of WP and my list of WP phones (see attached) in my first post I omitted my HTC advantage and HTC HD7 pro. I never throw away my old phones as most are running custom roms (my little hobby). Yes this was my first post on WPC, but the issues I raise are well documented here on WPC and other sites. What has my post achieved, open discussion! and maybe MS are reading our posts.
In the past I have always proudly promoted my latest WP phone against the IOS and android phones my friends have. My phones are not full of apps, I have what I need, a good news and sport app, cross OS msg apps (whatsapp and FB) Yet I still have to re-install or soft boot WP8 to get these tiles and notifications to work.
I?m not giving up on WP; I have been onboard since day one and firmly believe that one day it will be the OS that other manufactures? aspire too! WP7 was innovating; WP8 seems to have lost its way.

House.jpg

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I actually don't know what the problem is with recommending wp8 to anyone.
I recommend it to everyone, my 920 is without any problems, livetiles work, batterylife is superb, it looks great, sounds great and it works seamlessly with my windows 8.1 desktop and office 365.
It's a fine machine, and i love it.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
One or two people have questioned my love of WP and my list of WP phones (see attached) in my first post I omitted my HTC advantage and HTC HD7 pro. I never throw away my old phones as most are running custom roms (my little hobby). Yes this was my first post on WPC, but the issues I raise are well documented here on WPC and other sites. What has my post achieved, open discussion! and maybe MS are reading our posts.
In the past I have always proudly promoted my latest WP phone against the IOS and android phones my friends have. My phones are not full of apps, I have what I need, a good news and sport app, cross OS msg apps (whatsapp and FB) Yet I still have to re-install or soft boot WP8 to get these tiles and notifications to work.
I’m not giving up on WP; I have been onboard since day one and firmly believe that one day it will be the OS that other manufactures’ aspire too! WP7 was innovating; WP8 seems to have lost its way.

View attachment 49218

What device are you using now and have you put a custom ROM on it? Posting a blanket statement like WP8 has lost its way is unfair. We can't comment to your issues if you can't qualify your comment. What makes you feel that WP8 has list its way?

rowlie

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
My current phone is a 920. I am one of the unlucky majority who suffer battery drain and notification issues. In addition to this I have had the problems this week with accounts not connecting. Let's just say I'm a frustrated WP fan. (Silent Majority) Phone is running GRD3.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
My current phone is a 920. I am one of the unlucky majority who suffer battery drain and notification issues. In addition to this I have had the problems this week with accounts not connecting. Let's just say I'm a frustrated WP fan. (Silent Majority) Phone is running GRD3.

Hmm... That sucks man I hate that these defective devices exist out in the wild. I had a 920 for almost a year. I went through three devices because of the dust under the glass on the FFC. I cant say I experienced any of the other know issues. They are known issues two many people complaining for it to be software related only. What is the issue here really the hardware, software, maybe the AT&T radio? I don't know but I can tell you I never experienced those issues with my 920. I can also tell you that the 1020 and 925 are solid with GDR3 loaded on them. I am a developer and have both my Lumia's updated.

I guess to what you are saying here, in your situation I wouldn't recommend the L920 not with the experiences you have had. Hopefully you will stick with WP and get you a device of the next generation like the 1020 or 1520.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
same here! The more awful news I here about Ms and what Ms wants to do makes me feel less and less confident about Ms and the future of wp8! Who is wp8 next to Xbox? No one . So if they want get rid of Xbox who's to say wp8 isn't next ! I have a year left on my contract. many ask if WP is the better option i say ...i don't know! To many uncertainty

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
If anyone was looking for top apps/games,then NO,otherwise if they wanted a good OS that doesn't crash ,then definitely YES.Coz I really love my windows phone 8 (Nokia Lumia 620)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Allow me to quote from that link: "Yes. I had a live tile problem for about as long as I've owned my Lumia 920. My live tiles are working again."
I never said technology isn't without its challenges. Doesn't matter the OS or platform as I've used them all extensively. Doesn't mean I toss out the baby with the bathwater. Nor does it mean I won't recommend WP8 to my friends. I will and I do. But did you answer my question or just root the forum for excuses not to answer?

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
same here! The more awful news I here about Ms and what Ms wants to do makes me feel less and less confident about Ms and the future of wp8! Who is wp8 next to Xbox? No one . So if they want get rid of Xbox who's to say wp8 isn't next ! I have a year left on my contract. many ask if WP is the better option i say ...i don't know! To many uncertainty

Did you read the story or just the headlines? Elop is notorious for cutting things that are not profitable that is the point of the story in the "Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox". He hasn't even been named successor yet. Its all just a bunch of rumor based on past history that has no basis in reality. Lets not hijack this thread with conspiracy theories.

The question is would you recommend WP8. Defective hardware is not a good reason to not recommend WP8 it IS a good reason to not recommend a specific device. The OP has already stated that he likes WP but wont recommend it because of his issues with his L920. That's one device not a reason to discount WP. The OP even says he will stich with WP in the future. It sounds to me like he is happy with WP just disappointed with his device experience.

I have a Lumia 925 I am using as my daily driver until I get my L1520. My L925 is a great device it works great looks great. I am not experiencing any battery drain. After reading this thread I wont recommend people get the L920 but I will recommend other WP devices and WP8 to anybody. Will you?

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread I wont recommend people get the L920

I would. My experience is that the first runs of the 920 were horrid. I got one the day it was available at my AT&T store; within 30 days I had cycled from that, to an HTC 8X, to an 820 which was a fine device. Two months ago I got a new 920 - almost a year later - and the device has been flawless. My gut says that the people still experiencing issues probably have 920s from the early runs and that somehow, somewhere Nokia recognized issues with the 920 hardware and silently fixed them for later runs.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
WP8 is still my favorite, but it's lost a lot of its advantage. MS just needs to move faster. WP's only missing trivial features that should be easy to add ("so why haven't they?" is a good question though), except for a response to Siri and Google Now. Now that Android and iOS have mostly upgraded their designs to Metro, WP only has live tiles, smart app/service integration for streamlined workflows for common tasks, and Nokia features setting it apart now. And a native Metro interface of course, instead of the Frankeninterfaces of iOS and Android that oscillate from Metro's content first design and 15-year old Palm OS icon grids.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Did you read the story or just the headlines? Elop is notorious for cutting things that are not profitable that is the point of the story in the "Elop could kill Bing and sell Xbox". He hasn't even been named successor yet. Its all just a bunch of rumor based on past history that has no basis in reality. Lets not hijack this thread with conspiracy theories.

The question is would you recommend WP8. Defective hardware is not a good reason to not recommend WP8 it IS a good reason to not recommend a specific device. The OP has already stated that he likes WP but wont recommend it because of his issues with his L920. That's one device not a reason to discount WP. The OP even says he will stich with WP in the future. It sounds to me like he is happy with WP just disappointed with his device experience.

I have a Lumia 925 I am using as my daily driver until I get my L1520. My L925 is a great device it works great looks great. I am not experiencing any battery drain. After reading this thread I wont recommend people get the L920 but I will recommend other WP devices and WP8 to anybody. Will you?

I would recommend the 920 all day. I have owned a 920 for about 9 months and its been great. Durable, smooth, fast, and it still looks brand new. And it has built in wireless charging. �� you go on forums you get people who have problems. To say that represent the majority is short sided. Also, my battery life has always been great aside from the rare increase due to an app running when it shouldn't. When I say great I mean compared to my friends high end phones. The 920 does better.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I would not in good conscience recommend any WP7 devices for any reason but the majority of WP8 devices I would. I am an adult. I suspect my responses are based largely in adulthood. So my needs and interests would differ from those of GenX'ers out there who spend more than 60-70 percent of their day with entertainment. If games are more important than say, raising a family, making ends meet or running a business, that is where you will be.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I would not in good conscience recommend any WP7 devices for any reason but the majority of WP8 devices I would. I am an adult. I suspect my responses are based largely in adulthood. So my needs and interests would differ from those of GenX'ers out there who spend more than 60-70 percent of their day with entertainment. If games are more important than say, raising a family, making ends meet or running a business, that is where you will be.
Exactly.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

believe me I love my 920 but not all the crappy news about Ms and hope wp8 becomes the best but I don't want to here anymore crappy news from Ms or anyone I need more reassuring that Ms is only trying to make things better!

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
It gets harder each day for me to recommend a WP8 device since the changes most people want and have been asking for aren't here yet....although Some exist in gdr3. I've got my HW upgrade coming in 3 months and now iPhone 5s is a candidate along with waiting to see what WP8.1 brings.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
It gets harder each day for me to recommend a WP8 device since the changes most people want and have been asking for aren't here yet....although Some exist in gdr3. I've got my HW upgrade coming in 3 months and now iPhone 5s is a candidate along with waiting to see what WP8.1 brings.
"changes most people want and have been asking for aren't here yet". So your decision to leave and go with IOS is based largely on what other people want? So let me guess, GenXer.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
"changes most people want and have been asking for aren't here yet". So your decision to leave and go with IOS is based largely on what other people want? So let me guess, GenXer.

has nothing to do with caring what others want...there are other reasons, im just giving an example of how MS can start to lose support. I think iPhone does a few things that WP doesn't for my needs.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05