What is the difference between a Microsoft account and an Outlook account?

anon(7915365)

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
During the setup of my Lumia 920 I noticed that I logged in with my microsoft account that synchronized my email (I'm on outlook).
But then I noticed that I can log in with my outlook account too, separately.
My question is that is there a difference between the two? should I log in with my outlook account as well? will it synchronize and double the emails? :O
(I'm having a bit of a trouble with the sync of my email too...through the ms account).

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
no need to sing in again with your outlook account. Microsoft account is a term used for all Microsoft services like outlook, skydrive, office, Skype, etc. 1 account can be used on all services. once you have set up your phone with your Microsoft account all services are activated except for Skype were you have to download the app and sign in.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
if you need to receive emails instantly you have to go to email settings on your phone and change sync to 'as items arrive'.
hope this helps you

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering too ...

But there is no option for synching contacts, calendars and tasks, as within an Outlook/@live.de account. Are these automatically synced within the Microsoft account?
How will the Outlook tile icon change?
I think there will be no changes to my connected @live.de account on in my desktop's Outlook, or will I have to /should I change something there?

Thanks for any insights!
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I think your situation is similar to mine. Here's what I did, and maybe someone has an easier solution, but I was wrestling with this for a while and this was what i did finally to make it work:

1) my MS account is under John@myowndomain.com. I created a email icon for this account on my WP8 Lumia 920 and set the email app to synch and get mail every 15 mins., which is the fastest it could do. But I never got any mail on my phone.
2) on my Win8 laptop, I Iog in using my MS account and set up outlook.com for John@myowndomain.com. I had no problems and got all my emails in this outlook.com app. My laptop outlook.com automatically deleted emails from my John@myowndomain.com email server, which I wanted to happen since I have limited space (and probably is why I never got email on my WP).
3) so I created an alias to my MS account, JohnSmith@outlook.com. I added another email account to my WP8 using this alias. In settings, you can specify get email as it arrives and synch contacts, calendar, and tasks.
4) Finally, I went to the email settings in John@myowndomain.com and forwarded all email to JohnSmith@outlook.com.
5) I didn't have to change anything on my Win8 laptop email.
6) Now I get all email as it arrives on both my WP and laptop

HTH

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes