Is email better with a live account versus gmail?

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched from Gmail to Outlook.com as part of my "switching to Microsoft" experiment.

I like it. It works.

Hi...

Thanks for the link. Interesting info. Can you explain precisely how you switched from Gmail to Outlook? I have been a user of Gmail since 2005 and have about 4-5 GB of mails in my Gmail account. I now also have an Outlook account, which works well with my Surface and Nokia 720. I think I would like to move everything - contacts, mails etc. - to Outlook (I already use the Outlook calendar). So, some pointers would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

gillboyzz

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
You might like to revisit your Gmail configuration on your device. My WP Gmail push works even faster than on my Nexus 4. Setup your Gmail as an exchange account through advanced setup in Email+ Account rather than just setting it up through the regular Gmail option.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You might like to revisit your Gmail configuration on your device. My WP Gmail push works even faster than on my Nexus 4. Setup your Gmail as an exchange account through advanced setup in Email+ Account rather than just setting it up through the regular Gmail option.

EAS isn't an option for Gmail on WP any more, Google removed EAS support a while ago which is why Microsoft had to add support for CalDAV and CardDAV.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Not really, look up those four points online and you'll see they ARE fact, at this point only "fanbois" defend Google!!

I'm not defending Google or MS - I don't really care. However if you note the clarifications I posted inline on that comment, I'm just explaining the context. Removing EAS doesn't mean that Google is screwing WP - it just means that they don't want to keep using a paid protocol for email when there are alternatives.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
These four things are why the majority of WP users hate Google and refuse to use their services, I terminated my Google Account as have many others who use WP.

I doubt the majority of WP users hate Google. It's only a smartphone - most people won't be able to summon up that much emotion about it.
BTW, I'm still waiting for Microsoft to port Office to Android, iOS, Linux, etc.

Last edited:

evilrob

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi...

Thanks for the link. Interesting info. Can you explain precisely how you switched from Gmail to Outlook? I have been a user of Gmail since 2005 and have about 4-5 GB of mails in my Gmail account. I now also have an Outlook account, which works well with my Surface and Nokia 720. I think I would like to move everything - contacts, mails etc. - to Outlook (I already use the Outlook calendar). So, some pointers would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
I just started again from fresh. My Gmail account is a mess.

If I need to look anything up in my Gmail account, I have that set up as well, but only polled manually. Every time I need a contact not on my Windows Phone / Outlook - I set them up. It's quite cathartic.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I doubt the majority of WP users hate Google. It's only a smartphone - most people won't be able to summon up that much emotion about it.
BTW, I'm still waiting for Microsoft to port Office to Android, iOS, Linux, etc.

Maybe you should read some of the articles related to those points I made, most WP owners hate Google for their behaviour towards the platform!!!

Why would they port Office to Android and iOS when you have Office 365 on those devices. Hell will freeze over before they port Office to Linux.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not defending Google or MS - I don't really care. However if you note the clarifications I posted inline on that comment, I'm just explaining the context. Removing EAS doesn't mean that Google is screwing WP - it just means that they don't want to keep using a paid protocol for email when there are alternatives.

Which you edited in recently, nice try though!!!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe you should read some of the articles related to those points I made, most WP owners hate Google for their behaviour towards the platform!!!

Why would they port Office to Android and iOS when you have Office 365 on those devices. Hell will freeze over before they port Office to Linux.

Oh the irony! One the one hand, people here apparently 'hate' about Google not giving them YouTube. On the other hand, hell will freeze over before Microsoft port Office to Linux. :)

BTW, by the logic that Office 365 is all that's needed, I assume Microsoft can safely drop the clients for Windows, Mac, Windows RT and WP?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh the irony! One the one hand, people here apparently 'hate' about Google not giving them YouTube. On the other hand, hell will freeze over before Microsoft port Office to Linux. :)

haha yeah, almost as ironic as someone who has a strong dislike of MS yet hangs around on a Windows Phone forum. :eek:rly:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

BTW, by the logic that Office 365 is all that's needed, I assume Microsoft can safely drop the clients for Windows, Mac, Windows RT and WP?

Reread what I wrote, I said Android and iOS. I didn't say anything about Windows, Mac, Windows RT and WP nor did I say that Office 365 is all that's needed.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Reread what I wrote, I said Android and iOS. I didn't say anything about Windows, Mac, Windows RT and WP nor did I say that Office 365 is all that's needed.

You said "Why would they port Office to Android and iOS when you have Office 365 on those devices." Let's examine the logical steps - please tell me if I get any wrong - preferably with the number of the point where I misunderstand.

If I understand your logic correctly...
1. There's no need for Microsoft to port full Office to iOS and Android, presumably because Office 365 provides everything users of those platforms need, and cannot be improved upon by a full native client. If this wasn't true, there would be a point to porting full Office to iOS and Android.
2. Therefore, Office 365 must be as good as full Office on tablets and smartphones.
3. Therefore, Microsoft can drop full Office on WP and WinRT. Why would these devices need full Office when Office 365 is just as good?
4. OK, I stretched this a bit to say that full Office is also therefore pointless for Windows and Mac. I suppose it might be the case that on PCs and laptops, full Office still offers something above Office 365. So you got me there - I was wrong!

But it's good that we identified that full Office is not needed on WP and WinRT. I assume Microsoft will now stop developing it for those platforms and save some money!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
You said "Why would they port Office to Android and iOS when you have Office 365 on those devices." Let's examine the logical steps - please tell me if I get any wrong - preferably with the number of the point where I misunderstand.

If I understand your logic correctly...
1. There's no need for Microsoft to port full Office to iOS and Android, presumably because Office 365 provides everything users of those platforms need, and cannot be improved upon by a full native client. If this wasn't true, there would be a point to porting full Office to iOS and Android.
2. Therefore, Office 365 must be as good as full Office on tablets and smartphones.
3. Therefore, Microsoft can drop full Office on WP and WinRT. Why would these devices need full Office when Office 365 is just as good?
4. OK, I stretched this a bit to say that full Office is also therefore pointless for Windows and Mac. I suppose it might be the case that on PCs and laptops, full Office still offers something above Office 365. So you got me there - I was wrong!

But it's good that we identified that full Office is not needed on WP and WinRT. I assume Microsoft will now stop developing it for those platforms and save some money!

Where in my comments have I stated that Office 365 is the best option for ALL devices, stop twisting my words to suit yourself and read the comments for once!!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Where in my comments have I stated that Office 365 is the best option for ALL devices, stop twisting my words to suit yourself and read the comments for once!!

Mr/Ms Neo158, please keep calm. I'm merely trying to understand your opinion. I have read your comments and I am none the wiser about it. I'm sure any confusion is entirely my fault, but please could you clarify:
1. Would full MS Office be better than Office 365 on iOS and Android? I assumed not, as you wrote "Why would they port Office to Android and iOS when you have Office 365 on those devices.", but I'm now confused as to your view.
2. Is Windows Phone any different to iOS and Android in its requirements regarding Office? I assume that if Office 365 is good enough for iOS and Android (obviously this depends on your answer to Q1), it would also be good enough for WP. That's logical, yes?
3. You seem to think I believe you think Office 365 is the best option for all devices. I can assure you that is not true! Please read point 4 in my last post!
I hope we can soon resolve this matter, and understand whether indeed full Office has benefits over Office 365 on iOS, Android, WP, etc.
Many thanks for your attention and I wish you a pleasant evening!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett