Putting music from iTunes into Nokia Lumia 920

DS29790bb

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I have a Windows Phone 8, a Nokia Lumia 920. Having a lot of trouble figuring it out. I want to put select songs on it, and my music is very well organized in iTunes on my HP laptop, so it would be 100x easier to do it through iTunes and just syncing a playlist rather than going into my iTunes file and just dragging files over.

Apparently, this is possible with the Windows app for desktop, which I have installed on my laptop which runs Windows 7. The forums and the Windows phone website say it's possible if you go into the general settings and change it to sync with iTunes (Copy my iTunes music to my phone | Windows Phone How-to (United States)).

So I go to "Change general settings" but there is no option to sync with iTunes when everywhere says there should be. All that's there is a spot to change the device name and what to do when the device is connected (which gives the option to sync music with Windows, not iTunes). So I am confused as to what's up and what I do. Any help here?

PS: Really not very technologically savvy either, so I apologize if there is a solution somewhere already. Thanks!

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Under the Settings (upper right corner of the window) menu, and then under APP SETTINGS, there is a sub-section called Sync music, videos, and more from and two radial buttons one labeled as ITunes, and one Windows Libraries.

DS29790bb

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmm. I open the app but I can't get there. It literally only gives me the option of "browse files" or "change general settings." In change general settings, there's nothing to get me to the app settings. Ahhhh this is complicated!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully I can help you here.

First and foremost, make sure your phone is connected by USB.

You should get this first screen. The Settings are in the top corner.

App.png

Once in setting you should have this section. I don't have iTunes so it shows grayed out.

settings.png

Keep in mind you can only transfer files that are DRM free.

DS29790bb

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE: Thanks for your helpful answer. I think I see the issue.....for some reason, my Windows phone app on the desktop is just not the same. Which is weird, because I downloaded the it just this past weekend. I can work on getting screenshots of it later tonight, but it literally does not give me options like it shows, despite the fact that my phone is plugged into my computer. So I believe the app is just different, because I simply do not have the same screen show up when I plug the phone in and open the app.

GMan8200

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to synch music from my iMac to my windows phone (MS 7.5 Nokia Lumia 920), but the message that comes up is DRM protected cannot synch. I have the "windows phone app for mac". The songs (MP3s) had been ripped from my CDs so why the DRM protection message?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to synch music from my iMac to my windows phone (MS 7.5 Nokia Lumia 920), but the message that comes up is DRM protected cannot synch. I have the "windows phone app for mac". The songs (MP3s) had been ripped from my CDs so why the DRM protection message?

How old is the CD? A lot of modern CDs have DRM built in. I'm not familiar with MACs but I do know that in Windows Media Player you can add DRM to your songs if you so choose.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
N_LaRUE: Thanks for your helpful answer. I think I see the issue.....for some reason, my Windows phone app on the desktop is just not the same. Which is weird, because I downloaded the it just this past weekend. I can work on getting screenshots of it later tonight, but it literally does not give me options like it shows, despite the fact that my phone is plugged into my computer. So I believe the app is just different, because I simply do not have the same screen show up when I plug the phone in and open the app.

Did you download the app from here? Get the sync apps | Windows Phone (United Kingdom)

I checked my app to see if there were any updates, I have the latest version so yours should be exactly the same.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm. I open the app but I can't get there. It literally only gives me the option of "browse files" or "change general settings." In change general settings, there's nothing to get me to the app settings. Ahhhh this is complicated!

This might be a silly question but when the app first opens did you click the option to move files between your phone and PC? From your description it sounds like you are on the first screen. The move files is like a rectangular icon to the left of Browse files/change settings. Once you click on that and your phone connects to the pc, you will get the screen that Larue posted. At least that's how it works on my W7 PC.

DS29790bb

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
My apologies for the delay in response. I do have the most updated Windows app for desktop, that I am sure of. I get to the initial screen. On the left, it says "Move things between your phone and PC" and on the right is the option to "Browse files/change general settings."

Now, from my understanding, I need to get to the screen that N_LaRue posted. And this is apparently possible by clicking on the "Move things between your phone and PC." However, that does not open for me. I've double clicked and did "right click->open" multiple times, but no response. Anyone know what's up? I have Windows 7 Home Premium if that matters.

Thanks, much appreciated!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
My apologies for the delay in response. I do have the most updated Windows app for desktop, that I am sure of. I get to the initial screen. On the left, it says "Move things between your phone and PC" and on the right is the option to "Browse files/change general settings."

Now, from my understanding, I need to get to the screen that N_LaRue posted. And this is apparently possible by clicking on the "Move things between your phone and PC." However, that does not open for me. I've double clicked and did "right click->open" multiple times, but no response. Anyone know what's up? I have Windows 7 Home Premium if that matters.

Thanks, much appreciated!

Your app sounds different than what I have on mine. The two screens I have posted are what the app look like. The first screen is the initial start screen, the second is the 'Settings' screen. I'm starting to wonder if you have the correct app.

You mentioned screen shots. Can you post some? Easiest way to do this is when the app is open press the Alt key and the Print Screen key at the same time. This will take a snapshot of the open window only. You can then paste the image into MS Paint or another editor if you have one. Save the image and then upload it here. Make sure that image is under 500kB. Which it should be if you follow my instructions.

The link I provided goes to the correct download for the app. I would suggest maybe uninstalling what you have and installing the one from the link I posted and see if it's different.

To uninstall the program go to Start -> Control Panel -> Programs - you will see Uninstall a program link under Programs, click that. In the next window find the program Right click it then click Uninstall.

DS29790bb

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled and installed the correct one. Still having the same issue. Here is the first screen
windowsphone.jpg

This is the first screen I get. I get no response when clicking on the move things between the phone and PC. Nothing happens. When I go to the Change General Settings option, this is what I get:

windowsphone2.png

There is no option for iTunes at all in there. When I hit the Browse Files button, I can move things back and forth by dragging and dropping, which is how I add music, but that doesn't allow me to sync playlists or anything and can get a little complicated.

Any ideas? Thanks!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes. The answer is that's not the app. That's the Device Settings under W7. I see why you're having difficulty.

If you have downloaded the app make sure you have it installed. You can find it here: Start -> All Programs

phoneapp.png

If you have downloaded the app and you didn't find it there you will have it in your Downloads folder, there will be a .exe sitting there:

downloads.png

Just double click the file and install the app. It will then be in the place I indicated.

If you haven't downloaded the app then use the link I posted above. When you click Download Now, click Run instead of Save.

If you have any problems send me a message and I'll try to help.

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if the device driver is not installing correctly or at all. The reason I say that is I had always had to double click "Move files between my phone and PC" to get to the screen Larue posted. I found I didn't have the most current software installed. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled and plugged my phone it auto connects and goes straight to the main screen Larue posted.

The only thing I can think of is either it's not installed as Larue pointed out or the device driver is not installing when connecting the phone to the PC.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if the device driver is not installing correctly or at all. The reason I say that is I had always had to double click "Move files between my phone and PC" to get to the screen Larue posted. I found I didn't have the most current software installed. Once I uninstalled and reinstalled and plugged my phone it auto connects and goes straight to the main screen Larue posted.

The only thing I can think of is either it's not installed as Larue pointed out or the device driver is not installing when connecting the phone to the PC.

I received a message from them and gave them some instructions. I haven't heard back if they were successful or not. They did have the software installed but for some reason the app sent them to the devices section. I'm guessing you're right that the driver didn't install correctly.

I think a lot of people jump the gun when they install device drivers. WP takes some time to fully install properly and I do recommend a restart even though it shouldn't be necessary. Also make sure to unlock your phone when you attach it the first time as that can sometimes cause issues.

mmp57

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I have also downloaded the Windows Phone App for Desktop to my Windos 8.1 PC. My basicgoal is to sync iTunes playlists containing exclusively radio podcasts to my WP. The transfers are conducted, both podcasts and playlists show up in my Nokia. But I can only play the podcasts individually; there is no way to play the playlists. They are there; but when I open the music app, then go to Music/Playlists, select one of them and tap the PLAY icon, the square hangs at "Opening..." If I go back, tap on the playlist, go to the individual podcasts contained therein and tap one of them, same thing.

The only way to play a podcast is by accessing it individually (i.e., without the sequencing of the playlist) by tapping "Podcasts" in the music app.

This doesn't make sense, and it is absurd that Microsoft gives you the option of syncing playlists when they won't play in the music app.

Ftruck90

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The desktop app is just about the worst piece of software I have ever used. The ditching of Zune was a huuuuge mistake. Mine would just error out everytime I told it I wanted to use an iTunes library and the sync button would be greyed out. I think it had an issue with the size of my iTunes library, 10,000 odd songs and 200 odd playlists. I ended up just exporting all my playlists as .m3u's and adding them into Windows Media Player and just using that.

mmp57

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
If I understand correctly, you are exporting your iTunes playlists to Windows Media Player, and then syncing them to your Windows Phone?

Codemeup

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You may wirelessly transfer/copy music files to your Windows Phone via a web browser using the updated version 1.0.2.0 of Music Drop by Codeceptive Studios. The first version was great but the new one is even better! And what's best about this app: it's fast, efficient and most of all free ;-)

mmp57

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I will have to wait until I am next to a wi-fi'd PC to know if it actually works. But for the time being, it feels like a redundant app, as it syncs songs but not iTunes playlists. Dragging and dropping individual songs to the phone via USB cable is not really much more time-consuming or inconvenient than through this app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99