11-17-2013 03:22 PM
147 12345 ...
tools
    Since Motorola is bleeding oodles of money every quarter I wonder what it will mean for them/Google if this phone doesn't take off. I'm sure the profit margins aren't high on this phone and there is hardly any demand for Moto phones anymore so it could just be another dud like the Moto X.

With all the hype that the Moto X got it has apparently only sold 500,000 since it was released (according to Strategy Analytics). I don't see this phone selling like hotcakes either.
    cckgz4 and Sumanth Daggubati1 like this.
    11-13-2013 01:59 PM
    I think its Apple that has more of an uncertain future than Microsoft/Nokia at the moment. The phone market is ultra competitive and it's only Apple and Samsung that are making any money from premium priced products. Apple don't have anything in the low price range but this is what is selling now. As others have said it is only the 520/620 that has grown the Windows Phone market recently. There's not so much money to be made selling cheap phones so you can see why Apple want to avoid this to prevent their profits and share price from collapsing.
    Motorola only sold 500K of the Moto X last quarter, but this phone looks like it will be successful - similar specs to an iPhone 5C but a third of the price. This is what Google needs to take the dominance away from Samsung although they still have a problem with China where they are not allowed to include their services.
    11-13-2013 02:05 PM
    Not even a valid comparison. Because I could just date another girl, just like I can just choose another phone. Now if you had said because you dated a girl name Mary, and said I wouldn't date another Mary and not girls in general, it might make sense. But even then it's reaching. A bad experience with an OS can keep you from using that OS again, but not phones in general. Unless that's the only phone OS in existence, fortunately it's not.

Besides, how many android users have said they would never use WP again because of the experience? It goes both ways.
    in my comparison girls=android. And a certain girl would be a particular android phone(evo in your case). I know the evo left a bad taste in your mouth, but saying Android sucks overall because your experience with the evo was bad is not fair to android. I owned a Samsung focus for awhile and had a number of issues. But that doesn't mean WP OS is bad. It's just that the manufacturer did a bad job with the hardware. Also Android OS has matured a lot in the past few years. You cannot compare older versions to newer versions.
    11-13-2013 02:11 PM
    I might get one too. A very good price, by a very good company. Probably the best lowed Android phone at this rate.

The problem comes when people sign a contract, and then they break their phone midway. That's what happened to me. So I was stuck getting a GoPhone. Well, Google released a Play Store update that rendered it useless, and that's why I have a 520 now. Naturally, if you break your Android phone, you're going to look for another one cheap to last you until your contract is up.

Most of the people who had my last GoPhone were all guys who had broke their iPhones, Galaxy Notes, and other flagships on contract. It was kinda weird, because they got 4.3 running before the HTC One and the rest did. I even sold mine to a guy who wanted to mess with a phone while he waited for the One to get rooted properly.

My only problem with the 520 is that there's not enough space in it. And I'm probably getting the 1320 which might suffer the same issue by then. Not really cool to have a 6" screen, but then little to no storage to use in it. I could put a 64GB MicroSD card and then link it together to make it not only run crazy smooth, but hold lots and lots of stuff.
    11-13-2013 02:16 PM
    You break your phone mid contract so you can get to the end of your contract to get tied up in one again?
    11-13-2013 02:18 PM
    You break your phone mid contract so you can get to the end of your contract to get tied up in one again?
    Yep. :P. Stupid, but I'm too happy with my AT&T service to care.
    thomas wojcik likes this.
    11-13-2013 02:33 PM
    Samsung ought to be scared too if this Moto G is all that. Why would anyone pay 3x more for a Galaxy? If Android is truly optimized for low end then higher / faster specs will be pointless.
    11-13-2013 03:05 PM
    In the end this will probably hurt other Android OEMs more than it will hurt Windows Phone.

Companies that offer low end phones like ZTE, Huawei, Acer and even HTC will probably have their sales cut if this phone takes off.
    11-13-2013 03:11 PM
    this is NOT a low spec phone!
    Exactly! This ships with last years high-end hardware. This is not a low-end device.

Where I disagree is that Android is anywhere close to being well optimized. It's not. Few here understand the concepts of software optimization, and what that can realistically achieve. Many have unrealistic expectations for KitKat as a result, but it really doesn't matter. What was just recently very high-end hardware is now filtering down to low mid-range devices, and that will solve ALL of Androids performance issues all by itself, just as it did for high-end Android devices a bit more than a year ago.

Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.
    11-13-2013 03:19 PM
    Samsung ought to be scared too if this Moto G is all that. Why would anyone pay 3x more for a Galaxy? If Android is truly optimized for low end then higher / faster specs will be pointless.
    Samsung IS Scared already this + Nexus 5 will crush them
    11-13-2013 03:23 PM
    You gotta wonder what they're sacrificing to make it that cheap. I expect to see alot of warranty returns or repairs.
    But aint it happening, look at the marketshare of WP, the FUD is not for the users but for MS/Nokia, to shake'em up.
    bottomline, whether or not MotoG or moto h or anything comes in market we need more low & med end phones in market from Nokia.
    I think any of the recent articles posted on the front page will prove you wrong on that one.
    In the end this will probably hurt other Android OEMs more than it will hurt Windows Phone.

Companies that offer low end phones like ZTE, Huawei, Acer and even HTC will probably have their sales cut if this phone takes off.
    Exactly, if anything it's more of a threat within Android than WP.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-13-2013 03:23 PM

True..
    11-13-2013 03:24 PM
    You gotta wonder what they're sacrificing to make it that cheap. I expect to see alot of warranty returns or repairs.

I think any of the recent articles posted on the front page will prove you wrong on that one.

Exactly, if anything it's more of a threat within Android than WP.
    They are probably just selling it with 0 profit like they sell the Nexus series. This has the same specs as the Nokia Lumia 1320 with a smaller screen size for half the price. Pretty solid! Nokia needs to start bringing 720p down to low end phones asap
    11-13-2013 03:37 PM
    If this really is that good. it would pretty much mean annihilation for many of the android OEMs like HTC and Sony, and the only way Motorola could afford this is by having Googles advertisement incomes to burn. If the only reason that people choose WP8 is low price, I guess we are doomed anyway if people don't like the OS and the experience. Price competition should be even fiercer within Android.

The truth is that this is far from high end, the 720p display is certainly better than other low end hardware, but remember that this phone uses the exact same GPU as the Lumia 520 and is pushing twice as many pixels. The quad core processor is also marketing talk, as it runs 4 low clocked A7 processors, which BTW is the low power part of Samsung's octa SoC, this is far from high end. The Lumia 520 should use a dual core A9 processor which should have a higher performance if clocked at the same frequency. Unless you actually use all the cores, a quad core is likely to be slower than a dual core where each core is faster. Apple or the Moto X quite clearly show that a good dual core can be competitive, and in Apples case, faster overall than some higher clocked quad core chips. This ad by Qualcomm seems appropriate.

eric12341 likes this.
    11-13-2013 03:48 PM
    They are probably just selling it with 0 profit like they sell the Nexus series. This has the same specs as the Nokia Lumia 1320 with a smaller screen size for half
    the price. Pretty solid! Nokia needs to start bringing 720p down to low end phones asap
    Bingo! There is no magic in making a cheap AND good device, if you are willing to sacrifice profits.

I suspect this is one of the main reasons Nokia decided to sell their smartphone division. Not this device in particular, but the fact that Google/Motorola doesn't need to earn anything selling smartphones, while Nokia (and a few others) depended on it.

I see very though times ahead for MS, at least as far as WP profitability is concerned.
    11-13-2013 04:19 PM
    If this really is that good. it would pretty much mean annihilation for many of the android OEMs like HTC and Sony, and the only way Motorola could afford this is by having Googles advertisement incomes to burn. If the only reason that people choose WP8 is low price, I guess we are doomed anyway if people don't like the OS and the experience. Price competition should be even fiercer within Android.

The truth is that this is far from high end, the 720p display is certainly better than other low end hardware, but remember that this phone uses the exact same GPU as the Lumia 520 and is pushing twice as many pixels. The quad core processor is also marketing talk, as it runs 4 low clocked A7 processors, which BTW is the low power part of Samsung's octa SoC, this is far from high end. The Lumia 520 should use a dual core A9 processor which should have a higher performance if clocked at the same frequency. Unless you actually use all the cores, a quad core is likely to be slower than a dual core where each core is faster. Apple or the Moto X quite clearly show that a good dual core can be competitive, and in Apples case, faster overall than some higher clocked quad core chips. This ad by Qualcomm seems appropriate.

Nice video.. But this is a Snapdragon 400 (quadcore) vs a dual core S4 .. I think it should be comparable performance.. We'll see.
    11-13-2013 04:32 PM
    Nice video.. But this is a Snapdragon 400 (quadcore) vs a dual core S4 .. I think it should be comparable performance.. We'll see.
    It is IMPOSSIBLE to say without specifically considering the software running on it. As far as apps are concerned, in most cases, based on the fact that smartphone apps almost never use more than two cores, the dual core S4 will (occasionally) be noticeably (not hugely) faster. The A7 cores used in this particular Snapdragon 400 (Qualcomm needs names that mean something; a Snapdragon 400 can be almost anything) are poor. The GPU is comparable to last year's high-end smartphones however, just as powerful as the GPU in the L920, which these days is more important than the number of cores in the CPU.

Doctor Pork is right.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-14-2013 at 10:17 AM. Reason: everything in brackets
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-13-2013 04:42 PM
    It offers no microSD, the SoC is probably similar to what the 525 will carry, and it has not LTE (we'll see if the 525 does). $200 to get a usable amount of storage isn't the best deal around. Oh, and it launched with 4.3, so that "4.4 is for low-end" doesn't apply until January, they said.
    jmshub likes this.
    11-13-2013 04:58 PM
    in my comparison girls=android. And a certain girl would be a particular android phone(evo in your case). I know the evo left a bad taste in your mouth, but saying Android sucks overall because your experience with the evo was bad is not fair to android. I owned a Samsung focus for awhile and had a number of issues. But that doesn't mean WP OS is bad. It's just that the manufacturer did a bad job with the hardware. Also Android OS has matured a lot in the past few years. You cannot compare older versions to newer versions.
    Evo was just the model of phone. It could have been any other. I just did not care for the experience with that OS. Maybe the new version is better. And good for those that like it. But I am more than happy with WP and have no desire to go somewhere else. If I did, I would be on another MN forum.
    eric12341 likes this.
    11-13-2013 05:09 PM
    I think that the Moto G is a winner. For that price $179 (8GB) and $199 (16GB), I consider it a "flagship" phone. I am scared that it will WP users really quickly. I am buying one for instance!
    I would be scared for all those cheap people who refuse to support the economy and spend money on a decent phone on a real carrier. I am looking at all of you who have a 520/1 or 720, and anyone who is on Tmobile
    11-13-2013 05:17 PM
    Yet another Android vs. WP thread.

Did anyone bother to read that the US version is only going to have CDMA 3G Rev. A? Verizon prepaid is going to be the first to carry it here and cheap or not, people want 4G LTE. At least the Lumias have HSDPA 21. Don't tell me people don't care about speed. If not, we'd all be on Treo 650s.
    cckgz4 and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-13-2013 06:43 PM
    I want one I need something to prop up my dining room table. My table has one short leg. That looks like its just about the right thickness.
    hcrick, Jazmac, a5cent and 3 others like this.
    11-13-2013 06:55 PM
    I want one I need something to prop up my dining room table. My table has one short leg. That looks like its just about the right thickness.
    Lol good one..
    11-13-2013 06:58 PM
    Yet another Android vs. WP thread.

Did anyone bother to read that the US version is only going to have CDMA 3G Rev. A? Verizon prepaid is going to be the first to carry it here and cheap or not, people want 4G LTE. At least the Lumias have HSDPA 21. Don't tell me people don't care about speed. If not, we'd all be on Treo 650s.
    IMO this device is meant to be bought unlocked no other way.. I mean if you have enough to pay for VZW, you have enough to get a contract.. Even their prepaid plans are expensive.. (Coverage is the best though)
    FinancialP likes this.
    11-13-2013 07:02 PM
    I would be scared for all those cheap people who refuse to support the economy and spend money on a decent phone on a real carrier. I am looking at all of you who have a 520/1 or 720, and anyone who is on Tmobile
    Those MILLIONS of people will be buying phones from someone. If a manufacturer/carrier looks down it's nose, that's fine, a few tens of millions worth sales just went away. No biggie.

I mean, who needs another 15-20 million sales, or contracts, or 15-20 million folks willing to pay an extra $3-4 a month for some "fees" on the bill? It's only money.

But, if there is a device (who cares what it runs, or who makes it?) for that market segment, someone will enjoy a tidy profit from those "cheap people".

Besides, it's more competition, and we all get a win out of that.
    11-13-2013 07:14 PM
147 12345 ...