11-17-2013 02:22 PM
147 ... 456
tools
    Few here understand the concepts of software optimization, and what that can realistically achieve.
    Very true.

Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.
    Can you explain what it is about Android's nature that means it can never be as 'efficient' as WP? The more open nature of Android means manufacturers have more freedom to do things badly (or well), but I don't know of any fundamental technical factor which prevents Android from being as efficient as WP. Would be great if you can explain!
    11-15-2013 05:06 AM
    Nokia could easily compete with it. They could release an update version of the 520. I know the 525 has been leaked, which is basically the 520 with 1 GB RAM and a better IPS display panel, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nokia to release a better rival for this.
    Looking at the spec, I suspect the Moto G is being sold with lower margins than normal (maybe even at cost or less). It might be that Nokia/Microsoft have to take a financial hit if they want to match the spec at the same price.
    11-15-2013 05:29 AM
    Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.
    That is changing. Android Run Time is going to replace the Dalvik VM.
    11-15-2013 06:34 AM
    Android is android. It has slim chances of improvement at the rate its going. It doesn't seem that google cares much about improving it, well not as much as other people do ( meaning custom roms ).
    11-15-2013 10:16 AM
    ^^ kitkat has performance enhancements and lesser memory consumption out of the box. Also its made available to 512mb devices which is a good thing. Android run time as the previous user pointed out will be replacing dalvik. Android is only going to be efficient from now. What kind of performance do we have from win8 to win8 gddr3? It still lacks features.
    11-15-2013 11:26 AM
    We shall see if real performance holds true. Every update for android boasted improved enhancements for fluidity, and for me that only held true in ice cream (consistently) and up.

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk
    pankaj981 likes this.
    11-15-2013 01:26 PM
    Performance is good. It lacks features but that's not really the top concern. If an OS lags and makes you want to fling the device against the wall there is a problem.
    11-15-2013 10:54 PM
    Performance is good. It lacks features but that's not really the top concern. If an OS lags and makes you want to fling the device against the wall there is a problem.
    I thing that we're underestimating Android completely and that's not good at all. Lagging or not they win on the market share. While we're here praising our "stability" they are improving their OS launching this kind of devices that can easily displace the 520 (not completely of course) but the point is that the competitors are doing something at least whereas we're not.
    11-15-2013 11:12 PM
    Two things you're missing is that nobody is skipping over the biggest elephant in the room which was Android's sales this past quarter, nor is anyone trying to say Windows Phone is neck and neck in sales. What we are discussing is that in previous Android devices, their low end phones NEVER performed as well as their high end, which explains the optimism about Kit Kat and the stabilization it brings to low end phones coming next year, and even then we'll see how fast each device gets it. So....
    11-16-2013 12:13 AM
    Well let's wait and see :)
    11-16-2013 08:02 AM
    11-16-2013 11:49 AM
    ^
    "The problem with Nokias plan is that (their low-end devices) wont reach the next billion because not enough people out there are accepting Windows Phone over Android or iOS."

This. And now, there's even more reason not to accept WP. Be very afraid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-16-2013 02:50 PM
    LMAO oh ok

11-16-2013 03:25 PM
    LMAO oh ok

There's no reason to laugh. Just think about it... There's an actual reason to be afraid of. Consider the refunding rate of the 520 for lacking essential features that the Moto G has.
    I predict that the price given by Motorola is strategic since if they are subsiding already some devices they could have given the Moto G for less than the 520 but no they chose some dollars above the Lumia. Hence, people will say "Oh for 20 dollars more (maybe a little more) I can get a quad core phone, let's do it". If Nokia doesn't do something this is a lost war.
    11-16-2013 03:38 PM
    Consider the refunding rate of the 520 for lacking essential features that the Moto G has.
    Citation needed. First time I've ever heard of large amounts of returns on the 520.

Too many people in this thread are far too emotionally invested in the financials of a company and others spreading FUD. Nokia will be fine, they know how to compete and they've been doing it for decades. After getting caught with their pants down during the iPhone release, and BlackBerry's near death state, I doubt Nokia or any other company for that matter would sit idly by while competitors release new phones. It's called competition! New more advanced products are released all the time, at lower and cheaper prices as the tech matures. Stop panicking lol. It's starting to sound like fair-weather sports fans
    cckgz4 likes this.
    11-16-2013 03:56 PM
    You keep revolving around the price of $200. Why can't Nokia / MS price the Lumia 820 at $200 or a bit more than that on their website. That way people will think, I can get the quad core or I can get the Lumia and get an 8 mp camera and a stable OS. Because all the hardware manufacturers throw into an android phone is to make it run more smooth. Maybe the phone that is to compete ( Lumia 820 for example) can say " smooth experience " on the box.
    11-16-2013 06:34 PM
    Citation needed. First time I've ever heard of large amounts of returns on the 520.

Too many people in this thread are far too emotionally invested in the financials of a company and others spreading FUD. Nokia will be fine, they know how to compete and they've been doing it for decades. After getting caught with their pants down during the iPhone release, and BlackBerry's near death state, I doubt Nokia or any other company for that matter would sit idly by while competitors release new phones. It's called competition! New more advanced products are released all the time, at lower and cheaper prices as the tech matures. Stop panicking lol. It's starting to sound like fair-weather sports fans
    I thought black berry was already dead.
    11-16-2013 06:36 PM
    I thought black berry was already dead.
    I don't consider a product or a company dead until they close up shop :P
    11-16-2013 08:20 PM
    I think the suggestion was that this might happen once the Moto G is released. I'm also sceptical though. The features in the Moto G are already available in other Android phones at the price (even if the phone is not as good), and I also didn't hear of unusual return rates for the 520.

Too many people in this thread are far too emotionally invested in the financials of a company
    That's what makes this forum so much fun! :-)
    11-17-2013 08:49 AM
    You keep revolving around the price of $200. Why can't Nokia / MS price the Lumia 820 at $200 or a bit more than that on their website.
    Because they would lose money on each Lumia 820 they sold at $200?
    Microsoft do have the money to do this - but are they prepared to lose (even more) from their phone business?
    11-17-2013 08:52 AM
    But it is already about that price, So I what would they lose?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1O15C6...pUvbUpU2223190
    11-17-2013 12:25 PM
    This thread has run its course.
    wapoz and fatclue_98 like this.
    11-17-2013 02:22 PM
147 ... 456