MOTO G (I am scared!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
WP is not in a position to be arrogant like this. never underestimate your foe, specially when the foe is powerful as android.

Arrogant?

More like not ****ting my pants anytime Google or Apple releases a new product.

We've seen these threads over and over...

Nexus 4 is gonna kill Windows Phone

BB10 is gonna kill Windows Phone

Moto X is gonna kill Windows Phone

GS4/Note 3 is gonna kill Windows Phone

iPhone 5C is gonna kill Windows Phone

Nexus 5 is gonna kill Windows Phone

and so on and so forth

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think many people will be deciding between these two. Ppl will buy this because its cheap and runs android. Ppl will buy the 520 because its less than $100 and no doubt will run better than the "G".

I can get 2 NL 520 for 1 G. For most, that's a no brainer.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
WP's marketshare is majorly due to 520's sales, Android doesn't need to prove Kitkat's performance etc, it may be still crappy but good enough to pull back some of the WP8 adopters and ppl considering 520/525. WP needs more phones in low end, we only hv 520/620 for now and 525 is coming, compare this with high end, 920,925,1020,1320,1520. Time for Nokia to concentrate on low/med end. 625 wasn't able generate much buzz, 820 as well, only 720 became popular. we need more phone at competitive prices.

I don't think this would steal hardly any WP users. At least no more than the 525 would steal back. I don't even get why the price is a big deal. What's the appeal? The low price? Well, whooptie freaking do, there are thousands of androids that are cheaper and thousands that are more expensive, its just another phone.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Well that's like saying "after dating *insert name*, girls will never be an option for me no matter what". Just because you had a bad date with a girl doesn't mean you should give up dating girls.

That said, WP is not in any danger. MS will adjust prices accordingly.

Not even a valid comparison. Because I could just date another girl, just like I can just choose another phone. Now if you had said because you dated a girl name Mary, and said I wouldn't date another Mary and not girls in general, it might make sense. But even then it's reaching. A bad experience with an OS can keep you from using that OS again, but not phones in general. Unless that's the only phone OS in existence, fortunately it's not.

Besides, how many android users have said they would never use WP again because of the experience? It goes both ways.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't think many people will be deciding between these two. Ppl will buy this because its cheap and runs android. Ppl will buy the 520 because its less than $100 and no doubt will run better than the "G".

I can get 2 NL 520 for 1 G. For most, that's a no brainer.

Well we can't know if it will run better.. Maybe yes maybe no.. The L520 is awesome though..

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Arrogant?

More like not ****ting my pants anytime Google or Apple releases a new product.

We've seen these threads over and over...

Nexus 4 is gonna kill Windows Phone

BB10 is gonna kill Windows Phone

Moto X is gonna kill Windows Phone

GS4/Note 3 is gonna kill Windows Phone

iPhone 5C is gonna kill Windows Phone

Nexus 5 is gonna kill Windows Phone

and so on and so forth

But aint it happening, look at the marketshare of WP, the FUD is not for the users but for MS/Nokia, to shake'em up.
bottomline, whether or not MotoG or moto h or anything comes in market we need more low & med end phones in market from Nokia.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Since Motorola is bleeding oodles of money every quarter I wonder what it will mean for them/Google if this phone doesn't take off. I'm sure the profit margins aren't high on this phone and there is hardly any demand for Moto phones anymore so it could just be another dud like the Moto X.

With all the hype that the Moto X got it has apparently only sold 500,000 since it was released (according to Strategy Analytics). I don't see this phone selling like hotcakes either.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I think its Apple that has more of an uncertain future than Microsoft/Nokia at the moment. The phone market is ultra competitive and it's only Apple and Samsung that are making any money from premium priced products. Apple don't have anything in the low price range but this is what is selling now. As others have said it is only the 520/620 that has grown the Windows Phone market recently. There's not so much money to be made selling cheap phones so you can see why Apple want to avoid this to prevent their profits and share price from collapsing.
Motorola only sold 500K of the Moto X last quarter, but this phone looks like it will be successful - similar specs to an iPhone 5C but a third of the price. This is what Google needs to take the dominance away from Samsung although they still have a problem with China where they are not allowed to include their services.

propeller10

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Not even a valid comparison. Because I could just date another girl, just like I can just choose another phone. Now if you had said because you dated a girl name Mary, and said I wouldn't date another Mary and not girls in general, it might make sense. But even then it's reaching. A bad experience with an OS can keep you from using that OS again, but not phones in general. Unless that's the only phone OS in existence, fortunately it's not.

Besides, how many android users have said they would never use WP again because of the experience? It goes both ways.

in my comparison girls=android. And a certain girl would be a particular android phone(evo in your case). I know the evo left a bad taste in your mouth, but saying Android sucks overall because your experience with the evo was bad is not fair to android. I owned a Samsung focus for awhile and had a number of issues. But that doesn't mean WP OS is bad. It's just that the manufacturer did a bad job with the hardware. Also Android OS has matured a lot in the past few years. You cannot compare older versions to newer versions.

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I might get one too. A very good price, by a very good company. Probably the best lowed Android phone at this rate.

The problem comes when people sign a contract, and then they break their phone midway. That's what happened to me. So I was stuck getting a GoPhone. Well, Google released a Play Store update that rendered it useless, and that's why I have a 520 now. Naturally, if you break your Android phone, you're going to look for another one cheap to last you until your contract is up.

Most of the people who had my last GoPhone were all guys who had broke their iPhones, Galaxy Notes, and other flagships on contract. It was kinda weird, because they got 4.3 running before the HTC One and the rest did. I even sold mine to a guy who wanted to mess with a phone while he waited for the One to get rooted properly.

My only problem with the 520 is that there's not enough space in it. And I'm probably getting the 1320 which might suffer the same issue by then. Not really cool to have a 6" screen, but then little to no storage to use in it. I could put a 64GB MicroSD card and then link it together to make it not only run crazy smooth, but hold lots and lots of stuff.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Samsung ought to be scared too if this Moto G is all that. Why would anyone pay 3x more for a Galaxy? If Android is truly optimized for low end then higher / faster specs will be pointless.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
In the end this will probably hurt other Android OEMs more than it will hurt Windows Phone.

Companies that offer low end phones like ZTE, Huawei, Acer and even HTC will probably have their sales cut if this phone takes off.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
this is NOT a low spec phone!

Exactly! This ships with last years high-end hardware. This is not a low-end device.

Where I disagree is that Android is anywhere close to being well optimized. It's not. Few here understand the concepts of software optimization, and what that can realistically achieve. Many have unrealistic expectations for KitKat as a result, but it really doesn't matter. What was just recently very high-end hardware is now filtering down to low mid-range devices, and that will solve ALL of Androids performance issues all by itself, just as it did for high-end Android devices a bit more than a year ago.

Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Samsung ought to be scared too if this Moto G is all that. Why would anyone pay 3x more for a Galaxy? If Android is truly optimized for low end then higher / faster specs will be pointless.

Samsung IS Scared already this + Nexus 5 will crush them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99