MOTO G (I am scared!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
You gotta wonder what they're sacrificing to make it that cheap. I expect to see alot of warranty returns or repairs.
But aint it happening, look at the marketshare of WP, the FUD is not for the users but for MS/Nokia, to shake'em up.
bottomline, whether or not MotoG or moto h or anything comes in market we need more low & med end phones in market from Nokia.
I think any of the recent articles posted on the front page will prove you wrong on that one.
In the end this will probably hurt other Android OEMs more than it will hurt Windows Phone.

Companies that offer low end phones like ZTE, Huawei, Acer and even HTC will probably have their sales cut if this phone takes off.

Exactly, if anything it's more of a threat within Android than WP.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
You gotta wonder what they're sacrificing to make it that cheap. I expect to see alot of warranty returns or repairs.

I think any of the recent articles posted on the front page will prove you wrong on that one.

Exactly, if anything it's more of a threat within Android than WP.

They are probably just selling it with 0 profit like they sell the Nexus series. This has the same specs as the Nokia Lumia 1320 with a smaller screen size for half the price. Pretty solid! Nokia needs to start bringing 720p down to low end phones asap

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
If this really is that good. it would pretty much mean annihilation for many of the android OEMs like HTC and Sony, and the only way Motorola could afford this is by having Googles advertisement incomes to burn. If the only reason that people choose WP8 is low price, I guess we are doomed anyway if people don't like the OS and the experience. Price competition should be even fiercer within Android.

The truth is that this is far from high end, the 720p display is certainly better than other low end hardware, but remember that this phone uses the exact same GPU as the Lumia 520 and is pushing twice as many pixels. The quad core processor is also marketing talk, as it runs 4 low clocked A7 processors, which BTW is the low power part of Samsung's octa SoC, this is far from high end. The Lumia 520 should use a dual core A9 processor which should have a higher performance if clocked at the same frequency. Unless you actually use all the cores, a quad core is likely to be slower than a dual core where each core is faster. Apple or the Moto X quite clearly show that a good dual core can be competitive, and in Apples case, faster overall than some higher clocked quad core chips. This ad by Qualcomm seems appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdauwqhmsas

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They are probably just selling it with 0 profit like they sell the Nexus series. This has the same specs as the Nokia Lumia 1320 with a smaller screen size for half
the price. Pretty solid! Nokia needs to start bringing 720p down to low end phones asap

Bingo! There is no magic in making a cheap AND good device, if you are willing to sacrifice profits.

I suspect this is one of the main reasons Nokia decided to sell their smartphone division. Not this device in particular, but the fact that Google/Motorola doesn't need to earn anything selling smartphones, while Nokia (and a few others) depended on it.

I see very though times ahead for MS, at least as far as WP profitability is concerned.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
If this really is that good. it would pretty much mean annihilation for many of the android OEMs like HTC and Sony, and the only way Motorola could afford this is by having Googles advertisement incomes to burn. If the only reason that people choose WP8 is low price, I guess we are doomed anyway if people don't like the OS and the experience. Price competition should be even fiercer within Android.

The truth is that this is far from high end, the 720p display is certainly better than other low end hardware, but remember that this phone uses the exact same GPU as the Lumia 520 and is pushing twice as many pixels. The quad core processor is also marketing talk, as it runs 4 low clocked A7 processors, which BTW is the low power part of Samsung's octa SoC, this is far from high end. The Lumia 520 should use a dual core A9 processor which should have a higher performance if clocked at the same frequency. Unless you actually use all the cores, a quad core is likely to be slower than a dual core where each core is faster. Apple or the Moto X quite clearly show that a good dual core can be competitive, and in Apples case, faster overall than some higher clocked quad core chips. This ad by Qualcomm seems appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdauwqhmsas

Nice video.. But this is a Snapdragon 400 (quadcore) vs a dual core S4 .. I think it should be comparable performance.. We'll see.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nice video.. But this is a Snapdragon 400 (quadcore) vs a dual core S4 .. I think it should be comparable performance.. We'll see.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to say without specifically considering the software running on it. As far as apps are concerned, in most cases, based on the fact that smartphone apps almost never use more than two cores, the dual core S4 will (occasionally) be noticeably (not hugely) faster. The A7 cores used in this particular Snapdragon 400 (Qualcomm needs names that mean something; a Snapdragon 400 can be almost anything) are poor. The GPU is comparable to last year's high-end smartphones however, just as powerful as the GPU in the L920, which these days is more important than the number of cores in the CPU.

Doctor Pork is right.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It offers no microSD, the SoC is probably similar to what the 525 will carry, and it has not LTE (we'll see if the 525 does). $200 to get a usable amount of storage isn't the best deal around. Oh, and it launched with 4.3, so that "4.4 is for low-end" doesn't apply until January, they said.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
in my comparison girls=android. And a certain girl would be a particular android phone(evo in your case). I know the evo left a bad taste in your mouth, but saying Android sucks overall because your experience with the evo was bad is not fair to android. I owned a Samsung focus for awhile and had a number of issues. But that doesn't mean WP OS is bad. It's just that the manufacturer did a bad job with the hardware. Also Android OS has matured a lot in the past few years. You cannot compare older versions to newer versions.

Evo was just the model of phone. It could have been any other. I just did not care for the experience with that OS. Maybe the new version is better. And good for those that like it. But I am more than happy with WP and have no desire to go somewhere else. If I did, I would be on another MN forum.

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that the Moto G is a winner. For that price $179 (8GB) and $199 (16GB), I consider it a "flagship" phone. I am scared that it will WP users really quickly. I am buying one for instance!

I would be scared for all those cheap people who refuse to support the economy and spend money on a decent phone on a real carrier. I am looking at all of you who have a 520/1 or 720, and anyone who is on Tmobile

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Yet another Android vs. WP thread.

Did anyone bother to read that the US version is only going to have CDMA 3G Rev. A? Verizon prepaid is going to be the first to carry it here and cheap or not, people want 4G LTE. At least the Lumias have HSDPA 21. Don't tell me people don't care about speed. If not, we'd all be on Treo 650s.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I want one I need something to prop up my dining room table. My table has one short leg. That looks like its just about the right thickness.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Yet another Android vs. WP thread.

Did anyone bother to read that the US version is only going to have CDMA 3G Rev. A? Verizon prepaid is going to be the first to carry it here and cheap or not, people want 4G LTE. At least the Lumias have HSDPA 21. Don't tell me people don't care about speed. If not, we'd all be on Treo 650s.

IMO this device is meant to be bought unlocked no other way.. I mean if you have enough to pay for VZW, you have enough to get a contract.. Even their prepaid plans are expensive.. (Coverage is the best though)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I would be scared for all those cheap people who refuse to support the economy and spend money on a decent phone on a real carrier. I am looking at all of you who have a 520/1 or 720, and anyone who is on Tmobile

Those MILLIONS of people will be buying phones from someone. If a manufacturer/carrier looks down it's nose, that's fine, a few tens of millions worth sales just went away. No biggie.

I mean, who needs another 15-20 million sales, or contracts, or 15-20 million folks willing to pay an extra $3-4 a month for some "fees" on the bill? It's only money.

But, if there is a device (who cares what it runs, or who makes it?) for that market segment, someone will enjoy a tidy profit from those "cheap people".

Besides, it's more competition, and we all get a win out of that.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think this is great. Anything that pushed the envelope is great for us (the consumer). Look at what the iPhone did in 2007. It not only pushed the envelope, it tore it apart.

Sent from my LG-G2 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
This thread is so stupid it doesn't burn, it cauterizes. Half the time OP is acting as if Nokia will never update their line and only sell a low cost phone with specs like the 520, or as if Nokia will just give up, stop making phones, shut down factories and send everyone home because of the Moto G. The other half of the time it feels like OP is trying to sell the Moto G to everyone lol.

News flash, new phones are released all the time, and they're getting cheaper with beefier specs. All this does is spur more competition in price and specs and innovation from all the other OEM's, so I see little to be worried about.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Arrogant?

More like not ****ting my pants anytime Google or Apple releases a new product.

We've seen these threads over and over...

Nexus 4 is gonna kill Windows Phone

BB10 is gonna kill Windows Phone

Moto X is gonna kill Windows Phone

GS4/Note 3 is gonna kill Windows Phone

iPhone 5C is gonna kill Windows Phone

Nexus 5 is gonna kill Windows Phone

and so on and so forth

This, so much this! It's the same crap we've been hearing since WP was released lol. Some new phone is released, and it's always supposed to spell the imminent death of the WP platform :p It's been more than abundantly clear that MS and Nokia are in it for the long-term when it comes to WP. It'll be interesting to see the direction they head in now that MS is trying to get all their ducks in a row internally to speed up the quality and speed of development. I'm still skeptical of Kit Kat's performance on lower end hardware, simply due to the fact that I've heard the same song and dance from google with every major release of Android, and the fact that you still see complaints from reviewers about lag and inconsistent battery life even on beefy hardware such as the Nexus 5.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is in the position to respond with a similarly priced phone with similar specs. I expect a compelling upgrade to the Lumia72x and 82x line.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Which economy are you referring to? Care to name any phone designed and built in the US? Carriers are multi-national conglomerates that send their profits, God knows where. At least most of the prepaids are based here. The 7-11 or Wal-Mart where you buy the refill cards are local. The salaried clerk who takes your money is local. The sales taxes are local.

Do I go on or have you had enough? Here endeth the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss