MOTO G (I am scared!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
This phone is being released with Emerging markets as primary priority and the US and other markets as I've read. Here is why I am not at all bothered in India at least.

Trust me they cannot come anywhere close to Nokia's presence in India. No way Motorola is scaring or even bothering me in the first place.
Donno about the rest of the world. Heck, they can't even beat Micromax and Samsung in India
Micromax Canvas 4 A210 vs. Motorola Moto G - GSMArena.com

The pricing is not correct in the above link .. actual prices are here Micromax Canvas 4 Price in India 2013 14th November valid in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai,Mumbai and Delhi
and MototG cheapest is around 11,385 INR + additional taxes which are a lot (if u dont believe me Nexus 5 sells for 349$ in US which converts to 22,000 INR but it sells for 29,000INR here) . Why would anyone buy a lower spec device of the same OS at the same price?

and Lumia 520 - 625 range is 7000 to 14000 INR ... no way to beat that and with updated devices on the way all I say Good luck MotoG capturing emerging markets like India. They haven't sold any good devices recently and Motorola brand has effectively been relegated in India now, nobody talks about them here anymore.

MMX has a stigma attached that they are chinese phones with their branding just stickered and it was true for their initial set if phones, that is the only reason still ppl shy away from canvas series still. samsung doesnt have a similar specced phone in this range, alll other are lava, mmx, karbonn, xolo,gionni etc, ppl will not be bothered with those but motog can pull off some users from 620-720 range

thomas wojcik

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Help me out with pricing. What did the 520 cost when it was first released? Pretty close to what this moto phone is going to cost. Anyone that thinks this phones pricing won't be brought down if needed may want to rethink that.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Help me out with pricing. What did the 520 cost when it was first released? Pretty close to what this moto phone is going to cost. Anyone that thinks this phones pricing won't be brought down if needed may want to rethink that.

The Lumia 520 is actually still close to the price of the Moto G, IF you get the unlocked version. The $80 520 is AT&T, at least here in the US. Amazon currently sells the unlocked 520 for $149.95. This is the version that would be the equivalent of the Moto G. Again, these are US prices. I don't know what the prices are in other countries.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
MMX has a stigma attached that they are chinese phones with their branding just stickered and it was true for their initial set if phones, that is the only reason still ppl shy away from canvas series still. samsung doesnt have a similar specced phone in this range, alll other are lava, mmx, karbonn, xolo,gionni etc, ppl will not be bothered with those but motog can pull off some users from 620-720 range

Well, a year or so back I has the same impression about Micromax and never even thought people were interested. Then this happened India Smartphone Growth Accelerates as "Phablets" Take Center Stage in the Second Quarter of 2013: IDC - prIN24292613
and it completely changed my perspective of the Indian market and how much price means to the Indian consumer. There are a lot of devices you rightly mentioned which are eating away at the smartphone share of Samsung too.

I don't think India is too exicted about Motorola phones, no news covered on it so far, will have to see the level of excitement on release.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Given the newer Lumias that are coming out(1320 and 1520) as the prices go down on the older models(Samsung Ativ S, Lumia 820, 920 and windows phone 8x and 8s) can't these also potentially compete with the Moto G?

Yes I know processors are different but there are a lot of features on the older WP8 models that still could directly compete with Moto G i think

I mean companies like T-mobile still have phones like the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S blaze(2011 phones) and even the Galaxy S4G....not to mention the other crappy prepaid android phones, so why not start trying to get rid of the stock by offering the older WP model on Prepaid to combat the Moto G.

It has a better processor, yes...but throw an 8X beside it....and I actually would take 8x over it tbh.

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Given the newer Lumias that are coming out(1320 and 1520) as the prices go down on the older models(Samsung Ativ S, Lumia 820, 920 and windows phone 8x and 8s) can't these also potentially compete with the Moto G?

Yes I know processors are different but there are a lot of features on the older WP8 models that still could directly compete with Moto G i think

I mean companies like T-mobile still have phones like the Galaxy S2 and Galaxy S blaze(2011 phones) and even the Galaxy S4G....not to mention the other crappy prepaid android phones, so why not start trying to get rid of the stock by offering the older WP model on Prepaid to combat the Moto G.

It has a better processor, yes...but throw an 8X beside it....and I actually would take 8x over it tbh.

But most people want a NEW device not a last years model.. I know most of us here don't care and will get what's best for us, but sheeps and robots don't act like that

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
But most people want a NEW device not a last years model.. I know most of us here don't care and will get what's best for us, but sheeps and robots don't act like that

That's true but most people who want a new device won't be getting a Moto g either. The target audience for the Moto g is likely a teen or an older adult who wants a decent smartphone at a reasonable price which could also apply to older models of windows phone .

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia invented the quality low cost smartphone with the 520. Before that, the universal inexpensive phone is just the last year's model, sold at discount.

So, why do you think that they are suddenly flatfooted and unwilling or unable to compete in this market?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Nokia invented the quality low cost smartphone with the 520. Before that, the universal inexpensive phone is just the last year's model, sold at discount.

So, why do you think that they are suddenly flatfooted and unwilling or unable to compete in this market?

Never said that.. I believe that Nokia will have a better device coming out on the low end.. But right now there is no one.. I hope the next 72X ,one of the new codenames ;) ,will compete with this phone in features and price

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
In this price range? The Moto G competes directly with the 520.

Moto G competes with the low end/lower medium android phones while infinitely better. 720p screen for just 180$ and it has some decent specs for ordinary usage. WP is on a different side al together, Android doesnt need to compete with WP at all. WP still has poor software support.

I can see many folks in India going for MotoG if it launches and marketed well. While it's no match to Nokia/Samsung's support in the Indian market, It's better than 520/620 and most of the Samsung offerings(below 19K), Motorola is powered by Google so Android 4.4 Kitkat is coming to Moto G in 2014 which makes it a great deal no? I might think about it too ;)

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Moto G competes with the low end/lower medium android phones while infinitely better. 720p screen for just 180$ and it has some decent specs for ordinary usage. WP is on a different side al together, Android doesnt need to compete with WP at all. WP still has poor software support.

I can see many folks in India going for MotoG if it launches and marketed well. While it's no match to Nokia/Samsung's support in the Indian market, It's better than 520/620 and most of the Samsung offerings(below 19K) Motorola is powered by Google so Android 4.4 Kitkat is coming to Moto G in 2014 which makes it a great deal no? I might think about it too ;)

That contradiction makes no sense, and I guarantee you that since Google kind of changed their marketing attention to U.S. and EU

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
That contradiction makes no sense, and I guarantee you that since Google kind of changed their marketing attention to U.S. and EU

I was just reading Moto G is coming first to the Emerging markets and Europe first and then US(Jan '14) so your point is moot.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia could easily compete with it. They could release an update version of the 520. I know the 525 has been leaked, which is basically the 520 with 1 GB RAM and a better IPS display panel, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nokia to release a better rival for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786