MOTO G (I am scared!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe that Nokia (Microsoft) will respond with a 520 type phone with a few enhancements that will compete with this phone head to head. And at a better price. This phone can present a problem; but its a problem that can be fixed. I think its a nice phone; but I wouldn't trade my 820 for it. Plus Google has not done a very good job with distribution. Look at the Nexus series. Now if suddenly these Moto G's appear by the thousands in every carriers stores it could get troublesome. But guest what; it aint gona happen. No the sky is not falling.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
But most people want a NEW device not a last years model.. I know most of us here don't care and will get what's best for us, but sheeps and robots don't act like that

That is the android mentality. There is a new android phone every month. Iphone user don't care much about this as they know that not much has changed from their 4s to the 5s. It is the same smooth OS. Same goes for WP. The WP OS smooth, owning a L521 I know that the experience is the same throughout each handset. Buying an HTC 8x for a lower price than what it was and getting a smooth experience makes more sense than getting a new android or a new set of problems. The Samsung s4 still lags and its assumed to be a top of the line android.

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Well LTE has only been deployed in the U.S (at a large scale) and is not as reliable (at least in my ?rea and with T-mo), so yes it is a big feature.. But not as huge as it seems

It just seems like people go into convulsions when a new phone is released without LTE support these days. Personally, I don't have access to LTE because of my device and I actually find my speeds getting better since I guess everyone else in my area is switching to LTE.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of any person who owns a Motorola phone at where I am, considering I and some close friends are huge Motorola fans. I probably had every Micro-TAC, StarTAC (I still have one), and my last was the V3688 I bought in Hannover. In my circle, Motorola is dead.

If they've released a good product, won't it now recover?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Few here understand the concepts of software optimization, and what that can realistically achieve.

Very true.

Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.

Can you explain what it is about Android's nature that means it can never be as 'efficient' as WP? The more open nature of Android means manufacturers have more freedom to do things badly (or well), but I don't know of any fundamental technical factor which prevents Android from being as efficient as WP. Would be great if you can explain!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia could easily compete with it. They could release an update version of the 520. I know the 525 has been leaked, which is basically the 520 with 1 GB RAM and a better IPS display panel, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nokia to release a better rival for this.

Looking at the spec, I suspect the Moto G is being sold with lower margins than normal (maybe even at cost or less). It might be that Nokia/Microsoft have to take a financial hit if they want to match the spec at the same price.

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Android can't, by the very nature of how it was designed, ever be as efficient as WP, but the days when that mattered are coming (at least around the $150 mark) to an end. Software optimization is quickly becoming irrelevant, because the faster hardware can brute force the software to a point where the user won't notice the difference between what is and what isn't well optimized.
That is changing. Android Run Time is going to replace the Dalvik VM.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Android is android. It has slim chances of improvement at the rate its going. It doesn't seem that google cares much about improving it, well not as much as other people do ( meaning custom roms ).

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^ kitkat has performance enhancements and lesser memory consumption out of the box. Also its made available to 512mb devices which is a good thing. Android run time as the previous user pointed out will be replacing dalvik. Android is only going to be efficient from now. What kind of performance do we have from win8 to win8 gddr3? It still lacks features.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
We shall see if real performance holds true. Every update for android boasted improved enhancements for fluidity, and for me that only held true in ice cream (consistently) and up.

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Performance is good. It lacks features but that's not really the top concern. If an OS lags and makes you want to fling the device against the wall there is a problem.

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Performance is good. It lacks features but that's not really the top concern. If an OS lags and makes you want to fling the device against the wall there is a problem.
I thing that we're underestimating Android completely and that's not good at all. Lagging or not they win on the market share. While we're here praising our "stability" they are improving their OS launching this kind of devices that can easily displace the 520 (not completely of course) but the point is that the competitors are doing something at least whereas we're not.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Two things you're missing is that nobody is skipping over the biggest elephant in the room which was Android's sales this past quarter, nor is anyone trying to say Windows Phone is neck and neck in sales. What we are discussing is that in previous Android devices, their low end phones NEVER performed as well as their high end, which explains the optimism about Kit Kat and the stabilization it brings to low end phones coming next year, and even then we'll see how fast each device gets it. So....

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
^
"The problem with Nokia?s plan is that (their low-end devices) won?t reach the ?next billion? because not enough people out there are accepting Windows Phone over Android or iOS."

This. And now, there's even more reason not to accept WP. Be very afraid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site
LMAO oh ok

Sent from my temporary device using Tapatalk

There's no reason to laugh. Just think about it... There's an actual reason to be afraid of. Consider the refunding rate of the 520 for lacking essential features that the Moto G has.
I predict that the price given by Motorola is strategic since if they are subsiding already some devices they could have given the Moto G for less than the 520 but no they chose some dollars above the Lumia. Hence, people will say "Oh for 20 dollars more (maybe a little more) I can get a quad core phone, let's do it". If Nokia doesn't do something this is a lost war.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Consider the refunding rate of the 520 for lacking essential features that the Moto G has.

Citation needed. First time I've ever heard of large amounts of returns on the 520.

Too many people in this thread are far too emotionally invested in the financials of a company and others spreading FUD. Nokia will be fine, they know how to compete and they've been doing it for decades. After getting caught with their pants down during the iPhone release, and BlackBerry's near death state, I doubt Nokia or any other company for that matter would sit idly by while competitors release new phones. It's called competition! New more advanced products are released all the time, at lower and cheaper prices as the tech matures. Stop panicking lol. It's starting to sound like fair-weather sports fans :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos