Netflx and Microsoft partnership to challenge Youtube

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft had given any thought to talking with Netflix to come up with a free video uploading service. Netflix could offer its services to those not yet streaming video and to cord cutters while Microsoft offers a method for this community and others to upload video.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
At this point i'd be willing to move to any new video sharing platform if it can draw in the content. It was bad enough with Google ramming google+ down everyone's throats, and I got pissed when it basically removed my privacy and let people I used to know but have no desire to associate with start looking me up and adding me based on that auto created google+ account.

But now that I unlinked the google+ account..... it won't even let me add a video to my favorites, unless I create a google+ account. WTF? I have ZERO desire to comment on a video, or tell everyone what the **** im watching. I usually just watch a video on a gaming channel or something, or add funny stuff to my favorites. I shouldn't be forced to use their crappy facebook clone just to do that.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
At this point i'd be willing to move to any new video sharing platform if it can draw in the content. It was bad enough with Google ramming google+ down everyone's throats, and I got pissed when it basically removed my privacy and let people I used to know but have no desire to associate with start looking me up and adding me based on that auto created google+ account.

But now that I unlinked the google+ account..... it won't even let me add a video to my favorites, unless I create a google+ account. WTF? I have ZERO desire to comment on a video, or tell everyone what the **** im watching. I usually just watch a video on a gaming channel or something, or add funny stuff to my favorites. I shouldn't be forced to use their crappy facebook clone just to do that.

A good way around the 'favourites' issue is to add the URL to your browser's 'bookmarks'.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
A good way around the 'favourites' issue is to add the URL to your browser's 'bookmarks'.

I shouldn't have to do that for an account that I access from multiple devices, especially when that has been a basic function of youtube from the day it was created =.=
Google has really managed to turn me off from all their products and services over the last year with the way they treat windows 8 and WP8 customers.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if Microsoft had given any thought to talking with Netflix to come up with a free video uploading service. Netflix could offer its services to those not yet streaming video and to cord cutters while Microsoft offers a method for this community and others to upload video.

There is a huge difference between royalty free video upload and a paid (licensed) media consumption service. I honestly do not know how it would work. As far as the relationship does,I think Microsoft already gets a great deal out of Netflix for their past investment and propping up their once fledgling on demand video component. Netflix originally used Silverlight and continues to use some hooks into Microsoft services. Microsoft also, in my experience, has gotten quality apps early that are often superior to some of the apps for competing platforms. The Windows 8 app, for instance, makes the version for Roku look like an afterthought, and even my last experience with the Android version cried out buggy and incomplete.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I really would be unhappy if Netflix got overrun with videos uploaded by anyone. I like Netflix for movies and TV shows (and was a subscriber before Netflix even had streaming). I want professional content on Netflix, not a bunch of cat videos.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I really would be unhappy if Netflix got overrun with videos uploaded by anyone. I like Netflix for movies and TV shows (and was a subscriber before Netflix even had streaming). I want professional content on Netflix, not a bunch of cat videos.

hmm have to agree with Laura on this one. I like Netflix being a movies and TV service, plus I'm liking the look of some of the original content they are coming up with. I think something like vimeo would be better. Some of the HD quality on vimeo looks outstanding. Youtube's HD quality is very inconsistent.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

So would I but my thinking is it would be a branch of Netflix that partners with Microsoft to do this. The video streaming side is the Netflix paid side of the house and those streams shouldn't cross.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Dailymotion would be a HORRIBLE partnership. Netflix will attract a majority of the US. Dailymotion has a ****-ton of p0rn on it

EDIT: Seriously? They censored the world b.u.t.t.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
There is nobody who can replace Youtube, most people aren't like you and don't really care about the google+ thing, because it really doesn't matter. You don't have to use your real email for YouTube, but YouTube will always be the best, and if you really want to add stuff to your favorites, why don't u just let google plus do what it wants, or use UC browser and save the video to watch offline, and then you can watch it over and over again without buffering.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
There is nobody who can replace Youtube, most people aren't like you and don't really care about the google+ thing, because it really doesn't matter. You don't have to use your real email for YouTube, but YouTube will always be the best, and if you really want to add stuff to your favorites, why don't u just let google plus do what it wants, or use UC browser and save the video to watch offline, and then you can watch it over and over again without buffering.

I wouldn't mind google+ if it weren't for the fact that my youtube account is linked to my primary email address. I shouldn't have to create an all new youtube account to restore basic functionality (adding a favorite, not being nagged to join a social network), losing favorites I've tagged or video I've uploaded for private sharing, just to enjoy the same functionality as I had before. Suggesting I download all my favorites is an equally asinine suggestion.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't stand the fact that google ever bought Youtube. It's gone downhill ever since. And now they've got Waze...can't wait to see them screw that up, too. I really wish Microsoft would act faster and buy things before google does. I hate that Google is making money off of my videos on Youtube. And there's really no alternative right now. Vimeo is nice, but you can't get ad revenue on there.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
how about Vimeo? Way better video quality than YT, and already has a solid base of good videos. Who owns Vimeo actually?

I've tried Vimeo, but I haven't been able to find much useful content. I don't see anything coming close to YouTube for a long time. Someday maybe, but not soon. It's the default go to video sharing site for virtually everybody.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Another solution is to write down the URL on some paper, and keep it in your pocket.
Alternatively, play the video on your PC and record it using the camera on your phone (remember not to put your thumb over the camera!). Hey presto! You can watch it again and again and Google won't even know!

Ya just have to respect good sarcasm. Bravo...

coip

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Having user-uploaded vidoes to Netflix would be the end of Netflix. If I were Microsoft I would buy Vimeo and Twitch and then merge it with so.cl but still call it Vimeo (it's a cool name and has the most name recognition of the three, but another option would be Hulu). Then I would go on a massive effor to duplicate as many YouTube (always thought this was a stupid name) videos, without breaking copyright violations, as possible. The only reason YouTube has a monopoly on users is because they have a monopoly on content. The service itself is not that great.

I was also pissed when Google went on their "we're going to force Google+ down your throats" spree. That is the moment I quit Google: no more Gmail, Voice, Docs, YouTube. And it feels great. Don't miss it at all. I think many people want an alternative to YouTube and are frustrated with the lack of alternatives.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05