Hey MS, want more apps downloaded? Free the SD!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So you see, SD support on WP is terrible and needs to be improved. Then moving apps to the SD card would be icing on the cake.

Yes SD cards on WP are terrible which is why they should never have had them. They've been nothing but a problem since implementation. I still doubt they'll move apps to the SD card. But whatever. I'm not arguing anymore as those with SD cards will continue come up with reasons why you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Hopefully your SD cards will get some improvement with WP8.1 otherwise I suggest you move to Android as I think that's where you'll be happier.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Who said anything about being a power-user or having a low-end device? I have a Lumia 820. At the time when I bought it, the 920 was Nokia's flagship phone and the flagship phone for WP8. The 820's specs are very similar to the 920's. This means that I am using what is supposed to be one of the top-of-the-line WP8 phones. Today the 820 is still far far away from being a low-end phone by any stretch of the imagination.

If I were using the 520 or 620, then I wouldn't be complaining about the storage issue as these are low-end phones. As it stands, I have a top-end phone which was never adequate for storage.

Also, I am by no means an app-junkie. I have a total of 3.3gb for Apps, 2.3gb Media files, 1.9gb System and the rest is "Other". I have all my pictures, videos and songs on SD card. The apps DO take up a lot of space. As an example, my kid wanted the game Where's My Water 2, which ended up taking up over 700mb on day one once it was installed.
I guess that other guy thinks having apps is a bad thing. From everything i read apps are still just about the only thing holding this phone platform back. And on the topic of low end phones, even a 520\521 is a very powerful device for "low end".

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes SD cards on WP are terrible which is why they should never have had them. They've been nothing but a problem since implementation. I still doubt they'll move apps to the SD card. But whatever. I'm not arguing anymore as those with SD cards will continue come up with reasons why you're right and everyone else is wrong.

Hopefully your SD cards will get some improvement with WP8.1 otherwise I suggest you move to Android as I think that's where you'll be happier.

So your position is, "I don't use SD therefore no one ever should need them, WP implemented it poorly so they should just remove it, if you disagree with me go use android"?

Do you troll?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Who said anything about being a power-user or having a low-end device? I have a Lumia 820. At the time when I bought it, the 920 was Nokia's flagship phone and the flagship phone for WP8. The 820's specs are very similar to the 920's. This means that I am using what is supposed to be one of the top-of-the-line WP8 phones. Today the 820 is still far far away from being a low-end phone by any stretch of the imagination.

The 820 is a nice phone. However it was horrible mistake to make it only 8GB with a SD card. Should have been minimum 16GB and maybe an SD card.

If I were using the 520 or 620, then I wouldn't be complaining about the storage issue as these are low-end phones. As it stands, I have a top-end phone which was never adequate for storage.

You'd be rare than. Most people seem to feel that when they buy a phone, regardless of specs they should get the best everything.

Also, I am by no means an app-junkie. I have a total of 3.3gb for Apps, 2.3gb Media files, 1.9gb System and the rest is "Other". I have all my pictures, videos and songs on SD card. The apps DO take up a lot of space. As an example, my kid wanted the game Where's My Water 2, which ended up taking up over 700mb on day one once it was installed.

I keep forgetting that app=games. Yes games are a different thing entirely and yes they do take up space.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
So your position is, "I don't use SD therefore no one ever should need them, WP implemented it poorly so they should just remove it, if you disagree with me go use android"?

Do you troll?

I am not a troll. Second I can point to several threads of people complaining about issues with SD cards. My point was and will be that SD cards are problematic and instead have larger storage in phones. This of course won't satisfy those who believe that SD cards are the greatest things but I personally don't like them as I've seen the issues on these threads and first hand experience. I don't trust them as they can be unreliable. Does that make things clear for you?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I guess that other guy thinks having apps is a bad thing. From everything i read apps are still just about the only thing holding this phone platform back. And on the topic of low end phones, even a 520\521 is a very powerful device for "low end".

Yes and it would appear everyone wants to hold tonnes of apps on their phone all the time. The idea of limits seems to bother people for some reason.

The whole point of this thread is that the OP was claiming devs won't make apps because there's no space on the phones. That makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would a dev care about that?

Please explain that point. Make sense of that. I can't.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree on removing SD Cards altogether, they are useful for storing media on to free up internal space for apps. Could it use improvement, yes it could.

I do agree that just because Android can do something, it doesn't mean that WP should be able to do it.

What WP really needs is a permanent fix for the Other Storage issue, that would free up a huge amount of space.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Everyone keeps talking about other storage like it hasn't been resolved yet... GDR3 is easily obtained by "developers", becoming a "developer" is trivial, and there is no such thing as other storage in gdr3...

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

If all of us with sd cards move to android platform, there will be no windows phone. We will welcome you when you are forced to come over. Until then maybe just humor us.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Everyone keeps talking about other storage like it hasn't been resolved yet... GDR3 is easily obtained by "developers", becoming a "developer" is trivial, and there is no such thing as other storage in gdr3...

Without getting into a discussion about that, it would appear GDR3 doesn't fix things, though I haven't been able to get a clear answer as to what people do with their phones that may cause the large other storage.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Actually "Other Storage" does exist in GDR3, it's renamed "Temporary Files". It also takes time to empty it, a lot longer than it should I might add!!

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Without getting into a discussion about that, it would appear GDR3 doesn't fix things, though I haven't been able to get a clear answer as to what people do with their phones that may cause the large other storage.

By "other" do they mean lots of "temporary files"? As there is no more "other" section. And I can always eliminate the temporary storage in gdr3.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If all of us with sd cards move to android platform, there will be no windows phone. We will welcome you when you are forced to come over. Until then maybe just humor us.

If WP8.1 is a disappointment I will be moving to Android. I'm not going be on here moaning about it. Trust me. Nothing against WP or MS, I just don't believe in loyalty on the scale where I have to fight for everything I want.

There's a saying, actions speak louder than words. I'm sure MS has got the message that people are not 100% happy with WP so if they screw up they have no one to blame but themselves.

That's my point behind all this. What I'm getting at is, be happy with your device of choice. If it's not working for you than start looking at alternatives. If WP8.1 doesn't fix your issues it may be time to move. Simple. I'm not unhappy with WP but it's not 100% for me, probably nothing is.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
By "other" do they mean lots of "temporary files"? As there is no more "other" section. And I can always eliminate the temporary storage in gdr3.

It's not clear what 'Other files' are. They're not temporary files. That's something different. I believe, though I'm not 100% sure, that Other files may be sandboxed files not recognized by WP from apps. Which is why they show up as 'Other'. However I'm not certain that's the 'only' cause.

JustinianIV

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
If WP8.1 is a disappointment I will be moving to Android. I'm not going be on here moaning about it. Trust me. Nothing against WP or MS, I just don't believe in loyalty on the scale where I have to fight for everything I want.

There's a saying, actions speak louder than words. I'm sure MS has got the message that people are not 100% happy with WP so if they screw up they have no one to blame but themselves.

That's my point behind all this. What I'm getting at is, be happy with your device of choice. If it's not working for you than start looking at alternatives. If WP8.1 doesn't fix your issues it may be time to move. Simple. I'm not unhappy with WP but it's not 100% for me, probably nothing is.

I don't understand what your point is. All we are doing is complaining about something that we want MS to fix so we can continue enjoying their product and supporting their business. All of us want to like WP8, and this is why we are complaining. You yourself even seem to be supporting our complaints; SD cards on WP8 are poorly implemented, MS shouldn't have made devices with low storage, etc. So I don't understand why you are upset with us for voicing our opinions.

It's much better than your solution of not complaining and switching to Android. How would MS know what they could do to improve if all of us were to do that?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand what your point is. All we are doing is complaining about something that we want MS to fix so we can continue enjoying their product and supporting their business. All of us want to like WP8, and this is why we are complaining. You yourself even seem to be supporting our complaints; SD cards on WP8 are poorly implemented, MS shouldn't have made devices with low storage, etc. So I don't understand why you are upset with us for voicing our opinions.

It's much better than your solution of not complaining and switching to Android. How would MS know what they could do to improve if all of us were to do that?

MS would know if you moaned on MS forums more than WPCentral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster