In precentages, how much of your computing life is Microsoft products?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw this question on another web and thought it interesting for WPCentral. Mine is hovering near 90 percent

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd say based on how much I use my Microsoft products as opposed to others... About 95%. I go to my android tablet for things that my Surface Pro 2 doesn't have and use google when Bing doesn't give me the right search.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I know where you are going but that is a much harder question to answer than it appears. We use lots of computers and computer systems everyday that we take for granted.

Based on where you are heading with the question I am around 98%.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're talking about products I own and use on a daily basis, including hardware and software, I'm in the very high 90%s. My home computer is a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 and Office 2010, although I do have some non-Microsoft apps on it. I have a Surface RT that I use daily which is all Microsoft, and my smartphone is a Lumia 920 (although I do own an iPhone 4S because I support iPhone at work and I like to keep abreast of iOS updates). I also have an Xbox 360 with a couple of games that I don't ever play, heh, and my car is a Ford which has Microsoft Sync.

At work my desktop is an HP something-or-other running Windows 8.1 and Office 2010. The only non-Microsoft apps I have on this machine are Komodo Edit and Private Shell. We're pretty much an all-Microsoft shop with Windows Servers, Exchange Server 2010 and SharePoint 2010, although I do run a Linux server for our website (thus... Private Shell for SSH access).

Pretty much I think that puts me in the 98-99% range.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Interesting question! Because I work in IT I spend most of my time on a PC. I installed Ubuntu on one of my laptops at home (dual boot) but I don't use it much. My mobile devices are mostly Android. I would say for me it would be around 90% Microsoft.

EDIT: 90% is the amount of time I spend using a Microsoft product. If we're counting devices I use, then it would be 57% (rounded, 4/7).

Microsoft:
3 - PC's
1 - WP

Other:
1 - Android phone
2 - Android tablets

Last edited:

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Right now I'm 100%. Windows phone, surface pro, Lenovo laptop running win8, and my desktop workstation on win7. Quite a change from a few years ago when I only had a ms workstation only because I needed it to run my business software. I didn't like where MS was and they were pissing me off, and was mostly in the Linux world.

But nowadays, MS has the most forward thinking designs in the industry, its too hard to ignore them imo. Apple and google seem to be stuck in the icon/desktop world, which is great for a mouse but lagging behind for a touch based system. We'll see where the industry lies in another 5 years and see where I'll be. I don't have loyalties anywhere, I'll use whatever works best for ME right in the present.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
scarily, 100% at the moment, WP8, windows 8.1 slate, windows 7 desktop, ms office on all.

it used to be ~50% when i had a mac and ipads etc

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
In terms of software/ operating systems, 100%. Wp7.8, Lenovo work laptop running windows 7, home desktop running windows 8. I sold my Surface, hoping to add a Nokia Lumia 929 and 2520 to the mix by the end of the month :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
100% personal usage, though a site I write for uses the data mining corps software so I have to use that, however it will be quarantined to an old Windows 7 laptop and used occasionally so I don't really count it. :)

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I must be around 98% I'd say. I have a Windows 7 Desktop PC, a Windows 8.1 laptop and a Lumia 920 phone. I do have an old HP laptop that I installed Ubuntu on but very rarely take it out the cupboard. I also have a Raspberry Pi, but again don't use it too much, other than messing about with really. Next purchase will probably be a smallish Windows 8.1 tablet like the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It used to be at 100% now using an Android device because T-Mobile had no flagship Windows phones I would say I am 100% invested into MS products. I have a iMac, surface pro, a Nokia Lumia 920 that I just use for Pandora via wifi. A Windows 7 laptop I never use and of course at work we use Windows server. I can't put a % on it as I use all different products.

I use office 365, skydive, all features of Outlook. Com (calendar, email, and contacts)

Sent from my LG-D801 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd say probably about 75%.

I use Windows 8.1, Office 365, Windows Phone; however, I also use Linux. I don't use IE as a desktop browser at all; Firefox is my browser in Windows and in Linux. I also use Thunderbird and LibreOffice in Linux.

I don't use Zune or Xbox Music. I buy my music from Amazon.com and use various streaming apps.

I don't use Xbox Video for movies; Netflix is my movie app.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
well for me it would be 100 percent because since im at school I like things to be synced across my devices and Microsoft seems to cover that for me :cool:

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
In terms of devices: Retina MBP, Nexus 4 primary, iPod Touch 4G for music, Kindle for reading and Win8 gaming desktop. So that's 20%.

With actual time spent? MS, more than 40% of my time working is spent with Excel and a large part of my leisure time gaming on Windows.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmm .. Mine is Microsoft - 70% - Windows 8.1 PC, Lumai 920, Lumia 625 ... 29% iPhone for games mostly ... and 1% for Android just so that the phone doesn't die on me :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos