Restore backup functionality is a joke

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I had to do a hard reset and reconfigured my phone, I configured my MS account and it gives me an option of restoring backup, since I was on a mobile network so I choose to restore later.
Then once MS account is configured I no longer see an option to do a restore.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably have to reset your phone again to get the option for backup restore during initial setup.

Same as iPhone.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably have to reset your phone again to get the option for backup restore during initial setup.

Same as iPhone.

Since anyways I can find my app history in windowsphone.com I reinstalled from there, but my point is, its just crap the way its designed.
It was way better on WP7.5 with zune desktop software.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
point is not what I can do as workaround but the process is crappy, it needs a lot of improvement
Its not a work around, it has been the "official way" if you even care to read the manual, the one came with your phone or online directory.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It works very well. You have to enter your MS account information when the phone restarts after a reset. Don't skip this and try to do it latter. You have to have a good phone data connection for restore, not WiFi.
Part of GDR3 is going to change the phone restore process because some users have to enter APN information to establish a phone data connection. You don't have a chance to do that now.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
You have to have a good phone data connection for restore, not WiFi.
And how retarded is that??

Part of GDR3 is going to change the phone restore process because some users have to enter APN information to establish a phone data connection. You don't have a chance to do that now.

And how retarded is that??

Perhaps you should just accept the OPs point that this restore process is a bit of a joke - because it actually is. I've just gone through the same rigmarole myself, and if you don't want to incur data charges when you've got a perfectly good wifi connection handy you're out of luck. Sure there are workarounds and hoops you can jump through to get stuff set back up again, but it ain't pretty. And it's not really acceptable from a so called 'smart' phone operating system.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yep, got my warranty 1020 back and had to cut Sim to nano to use backup phone, which I'm on now, while it was away. Now I can't restore 1020 without a Sim card in it, total pain!!

Sent from my XT1058 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yep, got my warranty 1020 back and had to cut Sim to nano to use backup phone, which I'm on now, while it was away. Now I can't restore 1020 without a Sim card in it, total pain!!

Sent from my XT1058 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

I feel for you. You may want to buy a sim tray.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Its not a work around, it has been the "official way" if you even care to read the manual, the one came with your phone or online directory.

It is the official way, doesnt mean that it is the smart way, its pretty dumb, and if the designers could'nt get around this atleast they should just force the user to restore at the start why give a "LATER" option and then not show restore option anywhere.

these things need to be refined if MS wants to be considered as a serious player in 'smart'phone OS field.
and to add WP7.5 had backup & restore from zune desktop app, you could select the version which you wanted to restore at any point of time.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I miss the simple restore process that was on my old Windows Mobile 2003SE iPaq. You could easily create a full system image and restore from it to the exact same state as before.
With WP certain key features like restore have just been decimated.

blegs38552

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I miss the simple restore process that was on my old Windows Mobile 2003SE iPaq. You could easily create a full system image and restore from it to the exact same state as before.
With WP certain key features like restore have just been decimated.
I had a Windows Mobile phone and my recollection is that I needed to use a third party app to create and restore backups. The one I used did work well, but of course, the system architecture ofr WP8 is totally different.

Having said this, it would be nice if Microsoft could provide this functionality. Of course, it isn't even present in Windows 8.1 except as an option to use Windows 7 backup tools.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
point is not what I can do as workaround but the process is crappy, it needs a lot of improvement

I do not see the issue. You were provided a prompt to restore and YOU CHOSE to ignore it. Someone even provided a suggestion and you ignored that as well. Issue here isn't the phone or the backup process.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I do not see the issue. You were provided a prompt to restore and YOU CHOSE to ignore it. Someone even provided a suggestion and you ignored that as well. Issue here isn't the phone or the backup process.

yes a prompt was provided with now or later, I chose later, but there's no way I could do it later, it is "AN ISSUE",
if there is a backup associated with my live account why cant the phone show it under backups in settings and allow me to restore whenever I want.

ofcourse there are other missing things such as what you can backup or what you cannot, I'm not even mentioning them here, but this forcing the user to either restore at the very start or not at all is an ISSUE.

are you expected to have highspeed net in your pocket always everywhere? I was at Nokia care, got my phone repaired, they asked me to configure my live id, I did it asked me if i wanted to restore now, I chose later, then I come back home and see no option, it is stupid and not expected from a smartphone OS.

And stop being a blind ****** man.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Finally took the nano sim out of my Droid and taped it into the cutout of my mini sim after some razor blade modification. You can't use a sim adaptor in Nokia phones as they get stuck and can void warranty or bend/break sim pins inside phone. Now I will have to reset phone and brave spinning gears in order to restore from backup, this after spending some time setting phone up manually.

I love playing with my phone but this is pretty weak and could/will be avoided when you can connect to WiFi after GDR3. Don't know what time frame that will be on at&t 1020 or 920;)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
For what it's worth, even after you get it restored, it's still a huge joke. App data doesn't get backed up, so while yes it's great that a lot of the system stuff is saved, any game saves, app content, and app settings are gone.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Finally took the nano sim out of my Droid and taped it into the cutout of my mini sim after some razor blade modification. You can't use a sim adaptor in Nokia phones as they get stuck and can void warranty or bend/break sim pins inside phone. Now I will have to reset phone and brave spinning gears in order to restore from backup, this after spending some time setting phone up manually.

I love playing with my phone but this is pretty weak and could/will be avoided when you can connect to WiFi after GDR3. Don't know what time frame that will be on at&t 1020 or 920;)

did u try getting developer preview version of gdr3?, I think u can get that on carrier locked phones as well.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
For what it's worth, even after you get it restored, it's still a huge joke. App data doesn't get backed up, so while yes it's great that a lot of the system stuff is saved, any game saves, app content, and app settings are gone.
This. To make it worse, Windows 8 seems to have achieved this already. At this stage, WP8.1 pretty much needs to be monumental if it wants to be taken seriously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs