New Simple Phone by Microsoft (concept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about you but my grandparents are only interested in calling and texting and only want a cheap phone but the problem is that all the cheap Nokia phones are quite complicated to use and are definitely not idea for the older person with poor eye sight. As Microsoft would own Nokia's low end feature phones too after the acquisition I thought I would create a concept for a new OS in Windows Phone style for their cheap phone the Nokia 100. It is based around simplicity of being appropriate for someone who just wants a cheap phone to call and text and nothing else. So on the main screen you press either of the two buttons under the screen to get to calling or messaging or you can start typing in a name or phone number and then choose if you want to call and message that person. Here is the concept...

Screenshot.png

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. Since Microsoft is keeping the Nokia name for Asha phones. Make asha devices run WP and Microsoft will sell more than 60 million which is how much Nokia asha phones Sold in Q3 2013

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

they won't be able to shoehorn WP into things that basic and cheap.
but if they skin the UI to follow standard Modern conventions and integrate some MS services, it should work out nicely :)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
they won't be able to shoehorn WP into things that basic and cheap.
but if they skin the UI to follow standard Modern conventions and integrate some MS services, it should work out nicely :)

Unless they make WP8 run on WP7 specs, surely they can achieve that. Or make a WP lite version with the WP app store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Good effort for a simple concept.

I'll try not to come off as insulted being 1 year past 6 decades along.
:wink:
(kidding there)

Simple phones will always have a place in all age markets I believe.
I'm a senior geek and have the time to read and learn about most of these devices and the software that drives them.

I like to follow the reviews on retail websites as a gauge of where the trends of the common core populace are pointing.
Sadly seems evident that a large number of humans across all groups aren't exactly geniuses when it comes to tech.

Just because a 19 year old college student has the best of the newest doesn't mean that person understands the breadth of function hiding in even the most rudimentary smart device.
Generally most folks have difficulty fathoming technology so the "sheep syndrome" rules.

We have to remember the button pushing public has little interest in hanging out on a tech site or reading through a device quick guide.
They'd be simply smarter if they did tho...

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why you would need WP (or any other smart phone OS) on a simple phone. Based on my experience, a basic phone for the elderly would have the following features:
- Large, clearly marked buttons that are easily distinguished by sight and touch, not too close together and following normal design patterns.
- Simple, clear display showing only necessary information and also following common design patterns.
- No touchscreen!
- Clear UI with words rather than pictures (or both).

The Nokia phone pictured above is not bad for this purpose. Unfortunately a lot of cheap Nokias have buttons that are hard to distinguish by touch, and Nokia's UI has some confusing features (what are the numbers in the menus for? they don't work as shortcuts). Some of them seem so poorly designed that I wonder if they ever did any user testing - for example, buttons for opposite functions next to each other so you often press the wrong one (e.g. send next to cancel). I think Sony Ericssons from five years ago were probably the best simple phone UI design I've seen.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Metro on a slow as hell phone at a resolution worse than the original GameBoy will be no different to what's already out there.

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Metro on a slow as hell phone at a resolution worse than the original GameBoy will be no different to what's already out there.

It's not Windows Phone on a cheap phone, it is a separate OS just designed nicely and because it will be a flat UI it will perform faster because there are no gradients to render. All it is is the current Nokia OS on that Nokia phone but ripping out 80% of the unneeded junk features leaving just call and text, this would also make it a lot faster and 100 times easier to use.

Terence John Vidal

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
WTF are you saying, Nokia Asha phones to be exact the 200 series have a dedicated button for Messaging, Contacts or Calls, Facebook and Whatsapp. You even can change the function of the button. And the UI is not complicated when you press the menu you can see the applications such as Messaging, Contacts, Log, FM Radio, Settings etc. Also people doesnt just text or call on a phone, they also use it as an alarm clock, calculator, Flash Light, radio etc so they are not junk features.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
WTF are you saying, Nokia Asha phones to be exact the 200 series have a dedicated button for Messaging, Contacts or Calls, Facebook and Whatsapp. You even can change the function of the button. And the UI is not complicated when you press the menu you can see the applications such as Messaging, Contacts, Log, FM Radio, Settings etc. Also people doesnt just text or call on a phone, they also use it as an alarm clock, calculator, Flash Light, radio etc so they are not junk features.

Live tiles. That's what he's saying. Though, I do agree. You want to keep alarm clock & calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte