New Simple Phone by Microsoft (concept)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
"It's a dying market. Sorry if that is not appropriate."

Woah! That was some dark but clever humor.

There is a market for feature phones and there will be for a very long time. I myself carry one along with my HTC Trophy. I love the reliability of my feature phone's battery. My Trophy will get me 24-30 hours of moderate use max. My feature phone is great for all other times when I'm on the road or otherwise unable to charge my device.

Not only that, but I believe it's telling to look at mobile web browsing market share. Android is the most popular mobile operating system in the world, yet accounts for only 28% of mobile web browsing while IOS is somewhere near 70%. Most of these individuals who have Android smartphones use them as feature phones. I'm not saying that feature phone's market share is going to grow or cease to diminish. But there's a market for it, and as the new owner of Nokia's mobile device division, Microsoft should capitalize.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
As long as expensive data plans are requires with smartphones, there will be a market for feature phones.

This is across all age groups.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Just remembered something (doesn't happen too often)

Texting...
...on a basic phone is a pain.
What could be easier than voice texting on WP?

I know some people want hardware buttons over that mysterious and delicate glass digitizer.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Texting...

I know some people want hardware buttons over that mysterious and delicate glass digitizer.

The advantage of texting with a regular cheap phone is that you can feel the hardware buttons. Back in the day I could type out long winded texts without ever looking at my phone.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The advantage of texting with a regular cheap phone is that you can feel the hardware buttons. Back in the day I could type out long winded texts without ever looking at my phone.

I'll agree ^
Used to pound out storybook texts with my BB curve.
When the BB was stolen I bought a Nokia X2 for the interim.
I never did figure out how to type on that phone even though it looked pretty much like the BB.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
The amount of cleaning this thread has demanded is incredible. Keep directly to the topic of this thread and refrain from posting anything insulting or potentially offensive to anyone reading. Any more moderating demanded in this thread and it will be closed.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Texting...

Agreed. T9 can be a real pain if you're not thoroughly familiar with it.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The amount of cleaning this thread has demanded is incredible. Keep directly to the topic of this thread and refrain from posting anything insulting or potentially offensive to anyone reading. Any more moderating demanded in this thread and it will be closed.

It's a fantastic phone, I would love to have one. Keep up the good work.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

"insulting or potentially offensive"?

Why were some of my posts deleted? I'd love to know what I,said that was out of bounds in any way.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Dude, I generally agree with your decisions on closing posts, but "potentially offensive"? That could be as simple as wishing someone Merry Christmas these days.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not Windows Phone on a cheap phone, it is a separate OS just designed nicely and because it will be a flat UI it will perform faster because there are no gradients to render. All it is is the current Nokia OS on that Nokia phone but ripping out 80% of the unneeded junk features leaving just call and text, this would also make it a lot faster and 100 times easier to use.
I didn't say Windows Phone, I said Metro. If you're going to make an argument about gradients, why did you include colour? What's the purpose of the tiles? If you want a barebones interface, it wouldn't look like Windows Phone. It would look something like your home phone.

S30 serves to provide features at a low price point. Your anecdote may be that only two features will ever be used, but clearly others find a use for other features. I fail to see how this will fare well against a competitor that has an alarm, stopwatch, timer, calculator and FM radio. Or are they supposed to spend advertising dollars to market this cheap phone with next to no profit margin?

Live tiles. That's what he's saying. Though, I do agree. You want to keep alarm clock & calculator.
You realise that all feature phones have indicators for the number of calls and messages, right?

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Who would be offended by that?

can only speak for what i have seen here in uk, but some politically correct white people, *thinking* that it causes offence to muslims in particular, ironically i dont think in the UK i have seen any muslims state this is of offence themselves, but its our councils and governement departments, and some employers that *think* they should say it can be of offence, to pre-empt any issues in the PC/claim culture era

*sigh*

but i agree, with your point, who the hell should be offended!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
can only speak for what i have seen here in uk, but some politically correct white people, *thinking* that it causes offence to muslims in particular, ironically i dont think in the UK i have seen any muslims state this is of offence themselves, but its our councils and governement departments, and some employers that *think* they should say it can be of offence, to pre-empt any issues in the PC/claim culture era

*sigh*

but i agree, with your point, who the hell should be offended!

You realise that this is largely nonsense, right? The stories you read in the nastier UK papers about some local council 'banning' Christmas are grossly exaggerated, misrepresented or made up. Don't you think it's unlikely the current UK government would 'ban' Christmas?
This is quite a good article: Oliver Burkeman on the PC campaign against Christmas | World news | The Guardian

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
this is off topic now, but just to say, i disagree that all of these stories are made up, what are you talking about!, i am not just talking exclusively about the christmas thing, and nor do i think they will ban it no, quite rightly, but several similar issues have gone to court tribunal, its not made up, sure some of the gutter press like to emphasize them, but i am afraid it happens, and if you believe that the dozens of reported cases of employees taking their employers to task is fiction then you are wrong. i mean just look at the numerous examples of airline crews/NHS staff being told they cant wear a crucifix item of jewellery, or face dismissal, where the same organization allowed staff to wear their religiously important attire when it wasn't christian etc. but ultimately its about perception, that these goings on are abundant, even if they aren't quite as much so in reality, peoples perceptions are that there is indeed a war on christian beliefs, perception is reality in the masses conscience, real or not.

You realise that this is largely nonsense, right? The stories you read in the nastier UK papers about some local council 'banning' Christmas are grossly exaggerated, misrepresented or made up. Don't you think it's unlikely the current UK government would 'ban' Christmas?
This is quite a good article: Oliver Burkeman on the PC campaign against Christmas | World news | The Guardian

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
this is off topic now, but just to say, i disagree that all of these stories are made up, what are you talking about!

Strange question. I am talking about the alleged 'banning' of Christmas. Did you read my post?
I wasn't writing about employment tribunals, but I don't believe there are 'dozens' of cases of the kind you describe.

perception is reality in the masses conscience, real or not.

Do you think facts are important? Or even relevant?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Before typing this, did you say to yourself, "I wonder how many different people can I **** off with one post?"

I have history on my side. When Constantine was in the process of converting Rome to Christianity, many of the existing pagan rituals were incorporated to bring in converts. If facts and history are offensive and **** people off, too bad I guess.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have history on my side. When Constantine was in the process of converting Rome to Christianity, many of the existing pagan rituals were incorporated to bring in converts. If facts and history are offensive and **** people off, too bad I guess.

The part I was talking about was all the derogatory names about all the groups you spoke about.

Not cool at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)