GDR3 - Updating large apps, resetting your phone and Data Sense

plasmid_uk

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a HTC 8X with GDR3 on Virgin Mobile (UK) though it is actually unbranded. My phone space has been gradually decreasing for a while, I'll break it down as follows...

Apps & Games - 2.50GB
Maps - 250MB
Pictures - 2.50GB
System - 3.67GB
Temp - 480MB (This will not clear for some reason)
Everything else - Minor or sod all...

Total remaining - 2.46GB

I attempted to update Asphalt 7 Heat (an update came out today taking the download size to over 900MB (700MB previous)). Well that was a flop and it left me with 100MB left with no space left to complete installation. I cancelled the download and then uninstalled Asphalt 7 Heat only to be left with 2.44GB which is the same as when I had the game installed (dafuq). It's as if the game actually never uninstalled completely screwing me over with now not having enough space to re-install the poxy thing.

So I decided to reset my phone since it clearly needed it!

The first thing I take advantage of with GDR3 is connecting to Wi-Fi on setup, this dramatically reduced the time to download all my apps and settings...I have elected at this point to NOT download Asphalt 7 mmmkay?

2) I now have Data Sense (it was never there when I updated to GDR2/3). Supposedly enabled by carriers since GDR2 but if you don't have it then apparently, (as I've just discovered) resetting your phone gives you Data Sense. Meh I have unlimited data any ways but it's a welcome addition and no idea why it wasn't there to begin with.

3) Options for background data which were under Mobile Data have now been shifted or migrated in to Settings > Applications > Data Sense. Furry muff (fair enough).

4) All "Bing" apps are included by default such as Sports, Weather etc.

My storage is now as follows (vs. previous)

Apps & Games - 2.07GB
Maps - 250MB
Pictures - 2.50GB
System - 3.04GB
Temp - 3MB
Everything else - Minor or sod all...

Total remaining - 6.51GB

At this stage I'm too weary of installing a large game in case it fails to uninstall like the first time round and doesn't actually uninstall, has anyone else noticed something similar? Without wasting more time I think I'd rather install Halo and be done with it.

Your thoughts on my summary below please? :wink:

a) Large apps don't update properly
b) Large apps fail to uninstall correctly
c) Data Sense comes to life if you reset your phone
d) Minor point but - Bing apps being included by default (you know like how Google plague Android users with tonnes of apps they don't want but you can actually uninstall the MS ones).

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Having this exact problem with my 8x. I don't want to reset my phone as I've gotten some good progress on some of my other games and I don't want to lose that but If I don't complete the update I won't be able to install anything else. Being a WP fan is hard :cry:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Having this exact problem with my 8x. I don't want to reset my phone as I've gotten some good progress on some of my other games and I don't want to lose that but If I don't complete the update I won't be able to install anything else. Being a WP fan is hard :cry:

Not being able to backup and restore all game and in app data is one of the stupidest things about the WP OS, I wonder how long it will take MS to fix it.

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Here's my stats
Apps & Games - 6.52GB
Music & Videos - 684KB
Pictures - 34.81MB
Maps - 338.14MB
Email & Messaging - 111.70MB
System - 5.35GB!!!!!!!!!!!!
Temporary Files - 1.04GB

I really could use that system space back, considering the norm seems to be around 2-3GB but I really don't want to lose any of the saved data for my apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05