Anyone know off any applock apps

Uwais Akhtar

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Apps that you can lock certain apps with a password.

You can get on android and blackberry and was wandering if there is any for windows

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, there arent any. There may be apps that have their own passkeys, but none that can control other apps.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Just to be more clear, this is not doable on windows phone.
Microsoft locked their environment too much to allow developers do that.

Ftruck90

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This is definitely a big factor in using my iPhone 5 as a daily driver over my Lumia 920. My Jailbroken iPhone has plenty of tweaks that allow locking individual apps. I'm really hoping that as the market share of WP increases that it starts getting a bit of a homebrew community to fill in the gaps in the OS.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
As Marcomura said, this isn't possible with Windows Phone the way that the apps are sandboxed and can't even be aware of each others' existence on the phone. But if you give us a little more information as to what your needs are, there may be a solution. For example, if you are wanting to let your kids use the phone to play games, but not be able to send a text message, you can use Kids' Corner. But even if that isn't your need, Kids' Corner can be used for other things with a little creativity. For example, I've seen posts where people use it to keep their games separate from other apps. You could use it to put apps in that you want someone else to use, but not have access to the rest of the phone.

There are limitations, though. While I no longer have Kids' Corner (and yes, you can rename it) set up, I did for a while for the grandkids, and IIRC you have to use the same PIN to unlock the phone in KC as you do normally, so you'd have to unlock KC and hand your phone to someone if you don't want that someone to have access to your whole phone.

If this sounds like it might meet your needs, I'd suggest first doing a search of the forums for Kids Corner and see if those posts help you, and if not, start a new thread with Kids Corner in the title to get appropriate responses. I'm sure that there are as many ways to use Kids' Corner out there as there are people without kids. :smile:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There are fundamental security and performance issues with jailbraking phones. In doing so, you're installing apps that have had no formal checking for malicious content, and there's always a risk that a rogue app may crash your phone.

Yes, there's many people who do jailbreak their iPhones and are happy with the results, accepting the risks.

Ftruck90

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Basically at the moment my iPhone has a pattern lock, a passcode lock and then selected individual apps (messaging, social networks etc) all have different passcodes. This way if someone saw me enter one code they can still only access one thing. The issue with kids corner is that you still only have the one passcode. Maybe a normal person would call me paranoid but hey, that's me.

I'm aware of the inherent risks of jailbreaking a phone be it homebrew apps going bad or external malicious code running amok due to the root access permissions of a jailbroken device. I've been jailbreaking my iPhones since 2008 with my iPhone 3G and rooting Android devices since 2009 with my G1. There have been several cases of potentially malicious code slipping through the curated official appstores as well, so I feel just as comfortable using software from trusted homebrew devs. All I was saying was that it would be nice to have a community of devs similar to the iPhone jailbreak scene for Windows Phone to allow adventurous users to tinker with their phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon