10gb OF OTHER STORAGE!!!!

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
On my 8X the numbers add up properly in the phone storage area and my temp files are in the 1GB range. That said, I did perform a hard reset a week prior. I don't think your 10GB of other storage will rise higher than it is provided that you use the clear tool in the phone storage area. If you want to clear it further then you will have to perform a hard reset, after that your other storage will be under control just like mine is.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
hard resets bricks phones I've heard

hard reset doesn't brick phones, but phones that are faulty may not be able to complete the hard reset process. If this happens (unlikely), I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process of flashing the stock rom to your phone, which will work no matter what.

undisputed n00b

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My mom's Lumia 920 has 25gb of Other Storage and it is running GDR2. What fills up the Other Storage for me is if you watch YouTube videos through an app like MetroTube and Microsoft's YouTube app(back when it was working). If you use IE it doesn't fill up Other Storage. Also using Nokia music fills it up. My mom only uses her phone for web browsing and email. I used it for YouTube and Nokia music(its faster than my Lumia 900) and the Other Storage started filling up. Even with YouTube videos that are downloaded, when playing them back it would still fill up the Other Storage.

This should be the top priority for the WP team to fix. This Other Storage problem is making phones unusable. With how slow they are fixing things and adding features it seems like the WP team consists of the kids in school that sit in the back of the classroom and eat paste.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Dev gdr3 has been good for my 810. 32gb sandisk keeps things in check. Phone has been rock solid ever since the dev release.:smile:
Still stuck in the tmob contract till may, as much as I like the 929 I just may stick with the mighty 810 it's really been good to me. Until they start releasing phones with extra storage I'm in no hurry to update. Transferring info and backing up is still important to me and i leave nothing on the phone if possible but the limitations of what can be stored still sucks. Sky Drive aint the answer either I want to be able to back up to the PC. Why won't they let us do that?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
My mom's Lumia 920 has 25gb of Other Storage and it is running GDR2. What fills up the Other Storage for me is if you watch YouTube videos through an app like MetroTube and Microsoft's YouTube app(back when it was working). If you use IE it doesn't fill up Other Storage. Also using Nokia music fills it up. My mom only uses her phone for web browsing and email. I used it for YouTube and Nokia music(its faster than my Lumia 900) and the Other Storage started filling up. Even with YouTube videos that are downloaded, when playing them back it would still fill up the Other Storage.

This should be the top priority for the WP team to fix. This Other Storage problem is making phones unusable. With how slow they are fixing things and adding features it seems like the WP team consists of the kids in school that sit in the back of the classroom and eat paste.

Only GDR3 supposedly addresses this- we already know GDR2 has a problem with it. If OP here would do a HR and report back in a few weeks, then we can confirm that it's no longer an issue. Like I and others suspect- it no longer accumulates with GDR3, and his 10GB is leftover GDR1, GDR2 gunk.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Try this if you already have not:

1. Delete IE history
2. Delete WPCentral App history (if you have it installed)
3. Manually change date year on phone to 2014, go to phone storage under settings and then delete temporary files, it will take a minute or 2 to do that. Now check your other storage size again. Make sure to revert the date back to current.

THIS! I thought i'd try this and my temporary files (GDR3) went from 1.4GB down to 75mb.
Now if only I could shrink my System folder down from 5.5GB....

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what causing this. I habe AtivS with final gdr3. System 2.7gb and temp files 600mb. Never managed or deleted any of these... I dont have upload to SkyDrive enabled.

It must be some program or something causing it.

Oh yes, Ive been runnin the Ativ without hard reset since May.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Omg I can't believe I'm still dealing with this bs. Still no real fix for this? Really? What on earth is going on! There should be no need for ANYONE to have 10whole GB of other storage. I only have maybe 5gb worth of apps and games. If the OS requires this much other storage then ok maybe this is not for me but that suck because a side of me eventually losing all of my memory mostly due to other I love my phone but if this is Ms way of say " time for a new phone" then this is not for me!

Right here with you bro, I've already had to hard reset my 920 twice because of that damn other storage!

If this isn't ACTUALLY fixed in wp8.1 then I'm afraid I will lose all of my faith in MS

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
When you get updated to GDR3 (didn't read the entire thread to see if you already are) look at the Phone Storage are that is there by default with Windows Phone (not any of the OEM tools for this) and see how much of that is related to AppData if you see it starting to fill up again.

I was seeing a lot of 'other storage' usage and realized it was related to my photos and Audible.com content.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It has to be some app thats cousing this problem to some of you, investigate. Like I said earlier, I have had Ativ S now about 8 months without ever having to manage the other storage, or of course hard reset. Ive had GDR1,GDR2, GDR3 developer preview, GDR3 final and yesterday updated to another version of developer preview. Biggest other I think was about 2 gig at some point, but out of the internal 16gb I had probably 8gb free at that time. Now my system is 2,8gb and temp 671mb.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It has to be some app thats cousing this problem to some of you, investigate. Like I said earlier, I have had Ativ S now about 8 months without ever having to manage the other storage, or of course hard reset. Ive had GDR1,GDR2, GDR3 developer preview, GDR3 final and yesterday updated to another version of developer preview. Biggest other I think was about 2 gig at some point, but out of the internal 16gb I had probably 8gb free at that time. Now my system is 2,8gb and temp 671mb.
I think its my metro radio when on the mp3 player section I search a song .play it then close it out. It seems to save that data In other.....wierd

Ixia

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
My other is now at 8gb. Has increased by roughly 0.6gb in 7 days. Changing the year to 2014 shaved off 0.2gb.
But my system is 2.01gb. I've got a 1020, but not got gdr3.

ScanIAm

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is specifically linked to apps that download lots of media content. Read the comments on every podcast application in the store and you'll see. The devs of these apps claim that they are using the api correctly, and given that this happens for all of them, I tend to believe them. I've also proven it to myself by using GDR3 to track the other storage before and after an uninstall of, in this case, iPodcast.
Podcast apps (and probably Pandora-like) apps will have the same issue for the same reasons: something in the downloading and storage process is not recognizing that the application storage is no longer needed.
My only solution was to stop using those apps until 8.1 in hopes that they figure out, but this is NOT a case of users doing something wrong, it is a problem with the OS.

Shubhendu Singh

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
I have only 2.2GB worth of apps/Games installed and just 9MB space free on my phone storage.
The other occupies around 1.36GB and climbing.
Where the hell is the automatic removal ? And the bs manual delete takes AAAGES and still does nothing.
9MB...i cant even uninstall any app bcoz I know eventually that free space will be taken by OTHER sooner or later.
please help. Does Win8.1 has anything regarding this.
I am through with windows phones byw..just waiting for myLunia 620 to crash and burn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99