Nokia to fans of smaller screens:Drop dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can take a hint. I know when I am not wanted. We had some good times - the amazing N95; the better-than-a-Blackberry keyboard on the E71; the N8 - still one of the best camera phones; the gorgeous Lumia 800.

Then things started to go downhill. When Windows Phone 8 came out, the best device I could get with a less than 4.5" screen was the 620. Not a bad little phone; a little squat; no Pureview. No wireless charging. I should have seen the signs.

But the past few months, the message has been clear: fans of small, easy to hold and pocket iPhone sized devices are dead to Nokia. Especially if they prefer premium features. Big is the new black. Small is only for third-world budget customers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see phablets in the Nokia lineup. They are great media devices and perfect for some people. But not for me. I have an 8" tablet. Why would I want a 6" phone? I can't be the only person that is noticing this big hole in the current Windows Phone lineup. Even the successor to the 620 is huge!

I love Windows Phone. It is easy to use and setup and the graphic design is classy. I would much prefer to with WP8 than go back to the competition.

But I only keep a phone for about 6 months. You've got to have something sparkly on the shelf to keep me around. I have in my hand a Moto X. And it feels damn good. Yes, it has a 4.7" screen. But the phone is hardly bigger than a Lumia 521. I know this for a fact because I have a 521 laying on top of it right now.

So, I guess this thing we had is over. But I just want to make this clear: you left me; I didn't leave you.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
And you don't see hints of this being a sort of general trend with the industry....?

It is. Also Nokia makes very big and heavy phones when looking at the 920 or 1020.
If another phone fits his needs better, he has every reason to switch.

I even understand to some extent him writing down his frustration, even though it doesn't help much.

nishant786

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It is. Also Nokia makes very big and heavy phones when looking at the 920 or 1020.
If another phone fits his needs better, he has every reason to switch.

I even understand to some extent him writing down his frustration, even though it doesn't help much.

Nokia has always made very big and heavy phones. I remember each year buying their imaging flagship (3650, n90, n93, communicators etc.) and having my friends tell me how big it was. But i didn't care. I was proud of the Nokia brand pushing the envelope and getting to be a part of that.

But yeah, if i could have the Lumia 900/N9 with the 1020s/1520s features, they could have my kidney.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
This is ironic considering that a few years ago, Olilia (then-Nokia CEO) was holding press conferences against larger screens.

Oh, how the tables have turned.

Sent from my RM-846_apac_philippines_392 using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
"Drop dead" is kind of overboard.

More like a "Sorry. I'm just not into you."

With the small market share that WP has, Nokia can't really invest too many resources into devices that few people want. It'd a dying segment.

Maybe if WP was at 30% of the market it would make sense to pursue.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
What are you expecting, a 3 inch phone with 1080p?
Also smaller phones can't even hold enough phone components so you automaticly can't put some killer camera or smth similar.
Also, isn't it better when the phone is bigger? I know how I feel on my N8, everything seems REALLY small (I'm not blind, dw)... a 5 inch display is the golden mid.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
'But I only keep a phone for about 6 months. You've got to have something sparkly on the shelf to keep me around. '

I think that is your real problem. You want them to put out a phone, every 6 months, just for you. Companies have to produce items that they can sell, in large quantities. If they felt that they could sell a lot of small, high-end phones, they would make one.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
A compact 4.3 inches about the size of 520 would be awesome.. But for me I want a compact 4.5 inches, my 920 with least bezels n better CPU.. Wow..

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
This humongous screen disease is transversal to all makers, not just Nokia. My next phone may very well be an iPhone thanks to that (if they keep the screen in the 4''/4.3'' line that is).

I also don't get why people who like big screens feel the need to exaggerate our opinions by saying "oh why in hell would you want a 3'' screened phone with 1080p"... No one asked for that ffs.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I can take a hint. I know when I am not wanted. We had some good times - the amazing N95; the better-than-a-Blackberry keyboard on the E71; the N8 - still one of the best camera phones; the gorgeous Lumia 800.

Then things started to go downhill. When Windows Phone 8 came out, the best device I could get with a less than 4.5" screen was the 620. Not a bad little phone; a little squat; no Pureview. No wireless charging. I should have seen the signs.

But the past few months, the message has been clear: fans of small, easy to hold and pocket iPhone sized devices are dead to Nokia. Especially if they prefer premium features. Big is the new black. Small is only for third-world budget customers.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to see phablets in the Nokia lineup. They are great media devices and perfect for some people. But not for me. I have an 8" tablet. Why would I want a 6" phone? I can't be the only person that is noticing this big hole in the current Windows Phone lineup. Even the successor to the 620 is huge!

I love Windows Phone. It is easy to use and setup and the graphic design is classy. I would much prefer to with WP8 than go back to the competition.

But I only keep a phone for about 6 months. You've got to have something sparkly on the shelf to keep me around. I have in my hand a Moto X. And it feels damn good. Yes, it has a 4.7" screen. But the phone is hardly bigger than a Lumia 521. I know this for a fact because I have a 521 laying on top of it right now.

So, I guess this thing we had is over. But I just want to make this clear: you left me; I didn't leave you.

I will say this, look at Android...there are several manufacturers that make "mini" versions of their flagships, the Sony Z1s being the best example with LTE and a 20MP camera. It's a 4.3 incher with tiny bezels.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This is pathetic. Exaggeration. Yes, Nokia will inevitably release a fully featured phone with a screen size between 4 and 5 inches, they wont just be making big heavy phones and that's it. They do a vast range of phone already, all different sizes. Now quad core and 1080p is supported by windows phone, we will start seeing "ordinarily sized phones" with features that match, or surpass the competition.

Just be patient.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think that's going a tad bit overboard. Nokia is releasing the four inch screened 525 soon. I'm sure there will be new phones with 4.3 and 4.5 inch screens before we know it, too.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I will say this, look at Android...there are several manufacturers that make "mini" versions of their flagships, the Sony Z1s being the best example with LTE and a 20MP camera. It's a 4.3 incher with tiny bezels.

The Z1s is the only one worthy of being called a mini version of a flagship out of all of them. Saddening actually...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre