Contemplating to Switch to WindowsPhone from Android

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
OP, you seem deeply entrenched in the 'Google' world.

My recommendation for anyone, especially those coming from Google, is to buy a low end WP, L520 for example, and see what you think. If everything you do is solely based on the apps you use then you will be disappointed by WP. WP is different. It works different, it's used differently. It's nothing like an Android or iPhone. A lot of users who come from Android and Symbian are not overly happy with WP.

You need to experience WP for yourself and see if it works for you. Going by apps alone is no way to determine if WP is right for you.

There will never be a file explorer similar to the one on Android, if one does comes it will be severely limited due to MS thoughts on security.

Last thing to keep in mind. Regardless of WP7, WP8 is a new OS (a year old). I expect WP8.1 to be a major shift when it comes out. So WP8 has some teething problems.

Morado

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

I recently bought a WP (Nokia 625) after my HTC One X died. Honestly, I only bought the WP because it was on sale and decided to try it out. I cannot highlight enough how much I regret spending money on WP. I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.

You probably have good reasons to consider changing. But as someone who made the mistake :crying: of buying a WP just because it was on sale, I would suggest stick to Android :smile:.

Cheers.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
As N_LaRUE indicates you seem to be embedded in Android.

I recently bought a WP (Nokia 625) after my HTC One X died. Honestly, I only bought the WP because it was on sale and decided to try it out. I cannot highlight enough how much I regret spending money on WP. I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings.

You probably have good reasons to consider changing. But as someone who made the mistake :crying: of buying a WP just because it was on sale, I would suggest stick to Android :smile:.

Cheers.

there is a strong argument to stick with android if you are deeply entrenched in it, simply if for no other reason than the amount of money you may have spent on apps and games, however if the OP is considering a OS switch than it should be noted that there is going to be a learning curve regardless of OS he/she switch's too, your example of turning on/off data indicates your lack of understanding of the OS and how to use it, which is normal if you just switched, ( your sign up date for WPC is today ) i wonder just how long you have had your phone and what effort you have made to learn how to use it, you might want to try all the resources available to you and ask more questions here in the forums to get a better feel for your device before you make blanket statements to someone else about something you clearly dont understand, these forums are a great place to learn about your phone, and us old timers generally love to help the new comers, in short, relax, take a breath, ASK SOME QUESTIONS, or else someone is going to call you out for the troll you make yourself SOUND like

Morado

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
there is a strong argument to stick with android if you are deeply entrenched in it, simply if for no other reason than the amount of money you may have spent on apps and games, however if the OP is considering a OS switch than it should be noted that there is going to be a learning curve regardless of OS he/she switch's too, your example of turning on/off data indicates your lack of understanding of the OS and how to use it, which is normal if you just switched, ( your sign up date for WPC is today ) i wonder just how long you have had your phone and what effort you have made to learn how to use it, you might want to try all the resources available to you and ask more questions here in the forums to get a better feel for your device before you make blanket statements to someone else about something you clearly dont understand, these forums are a great place to learn about your phone, and us old timers generally love to help the new comers, in short, relax, take a breath, ASK SOME QUESTIONS, or else someone is going to call you out for the troll you make yourself SOUND like

Rest assured I am not trolling, so no need for your rage (i.e. save your indignation for more important things). I have been a frequent visitor of these fora and those at androidcentral, but never posted. I was simply responding to someone who seemed to me to be hesitant about jumping to another OS and responded from my perspective as a someone who recently bought a WP and how I feel about it two weeks on. Given that other, more "expert" opinion-givers had contributed opinions on the frustrations of Android users when moving to WP, I thought it was fair for me to convey my thoughts as a new comer, but it would seem I am wrong as per the tone of your writing.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
There's an app for that.... *coughs*

Yes that's correct, but there are 2 issues with having an app for that:

1. You shouldn't need an app for that. I hear all the time that "one of the beauties of WP is that everything is built in and you don't need apps." I think that this argument is sometimes used as a defense for not having a lot of apps available.
  2. The app doesn't toggle the setting. It only takes you to the setting. So it's still 2 taps. And that's only if the app happens to be visible at the time you decide to use it.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

1. You shouldn't need an app for that. I hear all the time that "one of the beauties of WP is that everything is built in and you don't need apps." I think that this argument is sometimes used as a defense for not having a lot of apps available.
  2. The app doesn't toggle the setting. It only takes you to the setting. So it's still 2 taps. And that's only if the app happens to be visible at the time you decide to use it.

I didn't say it was a good thing just that it wasn't as complex as the person was indicating. Yes I know there are certain things that are pretty lame on WP.

stripeyfox

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Speaking as someone who has recently made the switch from Android to Windows (from an S3 to a Nokia 625), I can make the following comments.

On the whole, I am pleased with the phone. Most of the apps I used regularly are available and the one or two I miss are in development I believe. I suppose I have the best of both worlds as I also have a Nexus tablet to mop up my Android needs.

I don’t know whether it is phone or OS related, but the battery life on the Nokia is awesome. The S3 would need charging every night and very often would be down to 30% or less by mid afternoon but the Nokia is still typically at 65% by the same time.

There are a couple of bugbears – and the switching wifi on and off is one of them but overall I am happy. It will be interesting in 18 months time when I am next up for a renewal to see which way I go. I have a pretty open mind about it although it would seem to me to be a straight fight between Android and Windows.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Rest assured I am not trolling, so no need for your rage (i.e. save your indignation for more important things). I have been a frequent visitor of these fora and those at androidcentral, but never posted. I was simply responding to someone who seemed to me to be hesitant about jumping to another OS and responded from my perspective as a someone who recently bought a WP and how I feel about it two weeks on. Given that other, more "expert" opinion-givers had contributed opinions on the frustrations of Android users when moving to WP, I thought it was fair for me to convey my thoughts as a new comer, but it would seem I am wrong as per the tone of your writing.

two things here, 1-no rage was intended or implied, if you felt that way, it was in your mind, not in my comment, it is always interesting to see how someone interprets written text, however having said that i do offer an apology if you deem one is owed, 2- it is fair for you to convey your thoughts, my only point is you seemed frustrated with your phone and not to well informed on how to use it to maximize your enjoyment with it, and i pointed out that if you would seek help their are plenty of people here that are more than willing to help you, rather than just sitting their and allowing it to spoil the experience. i did not at any time state that you WERE trolling, i said you run the risk of sounding like a troll, 3- (ok so i have 3 points lol ) just like when one is in school, you can sit through all the classes in the world and listen all you want ( " i have been a frequent visitor of the forums" ) but if you dont understand something and ask no Questions you will never learn no matter how much you listen, that was my point when i said ask some questions, like i said relax, take a breath ask some questions and maybe, just maybe we can help you enjoy your phone ( please note, just to be clear, i say that with a smile on my face and a happy, happy tone in my voice ) there is no such thing as a perfect OS, no such thing as one size fits all, it may turn out that WP is not for you and Android or IOS is more suitable for your likes and needs, but... you have already purchased a WP, so why not seek help on the things that are irritating you and at least see if others can ease your frustrations, either way good luck on which ever direction you end up going

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

YES! The handling of the basic network settings in WP is infuriating. You should be able to click on the symbol in the "system tray" or whatever that thing on top is called and that should immediately bring up the setting. That's how it works in Windows! I don't understand why WP has buried these things so deep in the settings.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Well the more users that swtich the more popular apps and developers will pay better attention to the WP.
Just do both and migrate over time.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

" I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings."

I think its statements like the above that give the impression your input is bias more than anything. Much like Androids shortcuts, WP has multiple avaliable shortcut options via the store for download...much like A LOT of Android tools. It's fine if you purchased a WP and didn't prefer the experience, im sure people like the OP respect your feedback...but its how you present your argument that dictates how others perceive you...on a Windows Phone forum.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Much like Androids shortcuts, WP has multiple avaliable shortcut options via the store for download...much like A LOT of Android tools.

But as far as I know WP8 does not allow any app or shortcut to directly switch mobile data on and off. All the shortcuts does is take you to the settings page where you then turn mobile data on or off. So I'd say it's quite different to Android, where apps can interact directly with phone settings. Or can WP8 do this?

To me this is the biggest drawback of WP8. The inability to do any sort of automation with regard to settings (eg. timed silent periods, location-aware switching of settings) makes the phone feel like a fairly 'dumb' smart phone.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
" I find it even dumber and less useful than iPhone. For example, to enable or disable mobile data, I have to do four clicks (vs. one on Android) and the mobile data button is not in a sensible location in the settings."

I think its statements like the above that give the impression your input is bias more than anything. Much like Androids shortcuts, WP has multiple avaliable shortcut options via the store for download...much like A LOT of Android tools. It's fine if you purchased a WP and didn't prefer the experience, im sure people like the OP respect your feedback...but its how you present your argument that dictates how others perceive you...on a Windows Phone forum.

In the respect of toggles and settings, it's not like Android at all, more like iPhone. You can literally turn off WiFi and other things with one click in Android. No 3rd party app will let you do it in WP, unless you first close the app you're in, go to the start screen, locate the app, open the app, and flip the switch. In android, the same thing would be flick open the system tray, and flip the switch.

For WiFi etc it's not a big issue, but the rotation lock absolutely would benefit from this.

There's just no way around that Android is better IN THIS ASPECT than WP. I hope WP8.1 fixes this.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
WP is much more like ios than android. It's a tightly locked down system with no custimization allowed. Android can be whatever you want it to be, WP you have to take (or reject) as it comes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss