Scrolling glitch - Amber & Double Tap-to-Wake bug

Ricardo Drehmer

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I`ve got a Lumia 920 with Amber/gdr2.
There is a glitch, that I could also reproduce in another L920 and a L820 (both w/ Amber firmware):

Fallo scroll Amber en Lumia 920 - YouTube
(this is not my video, but is the same glitch)

Description:
When the Double Tap-to-wake is ON (need to use it at least one time), starting a scroll on apps like Settings, Store or Browser, for example, causes the screen to JUMP / GLITCH for milliseconds. After that, the scroll does fine. Just softly put your finger on the screen and start a slow scroll, the content jumps and go.

Getting rid of it:
Disable Double Tap-to-wake and restart the phone.
If you turn the feature on again, the glitch returns.

Here is another case, no solution yet.
Scrolling glitch in Amber GDR2 - Microsoft Community

I really like the Double Tap thing, but this jumpy scroll annoys me so much! :angry:

I`m trying to contact Nokia Support (to reach Nokia engineers), but all I got is “get you phone to Nokia Care”.
Holy crop, it`s not about MY only phone. :angry:

Anybody?
Thanks!

update: Lumia Black firmware update doesn't fix this.

Last edited:

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't noticed it before reading this, but it only seems to happen if you scroll very slowly, which I don't often do, so it shouldn't affect me really. I've had Double Tap to Wake on since Amber and had never noticed this. I've also got GDR3 (Update 3) on my phone and the glitch occurs, so we'll probably have to wait for a new firmware update like Black, to see if it resolves this.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
It happens on mine and that has GDR3 on it. I couldn't get it to do it at first, but clicking on the link the OP provided, it said the steps to replicate it are:

1. I put my finger on the screen
2. Scroll
3. Lift my finger off
4. Put my finger down again
5. Start scrolling slowly
6. Tiny jump in the content before it starts scrolling.
7. Content resumes scrolling normally

Ricardo Drehmer

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I think it`s a bug in Amber firmware after all.
The problem is that seems Nokia are not aware of this and I couldn`t make the tech guys believe that is not related to MY PHONE only.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it does sound like Amber introduced it then. Nokia probably won't get a lot of people complaining about this glitch though, as it is a little hard to come across in my opinion. Once you are aware of it, you're almost half looking for it, but as I mentioned earlier, I had never even noticed this myself before I read your post today. Also, some people would perhaps notice it, but not think too much of it, so Nokia would not really hear of it too often.

There is a new firmware coming out soon, which is called Lumia Black. We'll probably just need to wait and see whether this fixes the problem or not.

Ricardo Drehmer

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I got aware of it because just the first time I scrolled, it glitched. Then the third, sixth, seventh time either...
Maybe most people doesn`t care, but I guess it has been proved as a firmware bug.

All I wanna know is if some Nokia engineer are aware of it. Don`t really mind if it get corrected only in next Lumia firmware in coming months, but if they ignore, I will be really disappointed...

Wilsen Hernandez

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
My 920 has GDR3 too. Have been able to reproduce this again a noticed something.

It only happens if when you touch the screen you are already moving your finger. Try it.

If you touch the screen, and then move your finger, no matter the slow or fast you move it, this won't happen.

This happens only if you're already moving your finger when it touches the screen.

PS: I don't think this info is relevant, but is something I noticed..

wezil18

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Same here! Have two L920s with GRD3 and they both show such problems.

To get the glitch to show all I have to do is scroll, then lift my finger off, and wait for the scroll bar to disappear, then slowly scroll again.

Interestingly, it only seems to appear in certain apps/places. For instance in messaging and email it shows up every time, but on the home screen and the USA Today app, never happens.

Ricardo Drehmer

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Important: for those who disabled Double Tap, need to reboot The phone.

If have ever used it once (just for the sake of testing), disabled the feature, but never turned your phone off since then, it will glitch.

Opposite is the same, if you turn it on but never Double Tap your screen, wont glitch.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi!

I`ve got a Lumia 920 with Amber/gdr2.
There is a glitch, that I could also reproduce in another L920 and a L820 (both w/ Amber firmware):

Fallo scroll Amber en Lumia 920 - YouTube
(this is not my video, but is the same glitch)

Description:
When the Double Tap-to-wake is ON (need to use it at least one time), starting a scroll on apps like Settings, Store or Browser, for example, causes the screen to JUMP / GLITCH for milliseconds. After that, the scroll does fine. Just softly put your finger on the screen and start a slow scroll, the content jumps and go.

Getting rid of it:
Disable Double Tap-to-wake and restart the phone.
If you turn the feature on again, the glitch returns.

Here is another case, no solution yet.
Scrolling glitch in Amber GDR2 - Microsoft Community

I really like the Double Tap thing, but this jumpy scroll annoys me so much! :angry:

I`m trying to contact Nokia Support (to reach Nokia engineers), but all I got is ?get you phone to Nokia Care?.
Holy crop, it`s not about MY only phone. :angry:

Anybody?
Thanks!

I have exactly the same problem !!!

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

dehodev

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
The issue is still there with the Lumia Black Update.

However there is another thing to the problem. (Or another solution)

The problem only occurs if you have BOTH "Double Tap to Wake" and the "Screen magnifier" turned on.
Since the Screen magnifier is turned of by default, the Nokia Nokia engineers have not found the bug yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte