12-11-2013 06:31 PM
66 123
tools
    Why this thread is still alive. Op question has been answered and thus this thread should be closed

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    That's quite rude, Mr/Ms rakesh1995. We are having an interesting discussion. There's no need for you to read this thread if you don't want to.
    This is another example of the "I'm not interested in something therefore it should be stopped" attitude, which is bizarrely common on this forum.
    FinancialP and Guytronic like this.
    12-09-2013 11:06 AM
    Why are u people acting like an possibility to root/flash WP it would ruin WP... Choices are always good, just imagine ur Lumia 720 won't get an 8.2 update but with flashing rooting u would get it.. For example on android galaxy s1 with flashing can get jellybean on it.. It makes device last longer...

And the point is, if u don't like the idea then just don't comment or bash the idea because u don't need it or like it, Choice/possiblity is always good thing and flashing / would not be everybody's thing but choices to have them would only be good.
    12-09-2013 11:13 AM
    So how many people chose WP8 because they are not mature enough to have options? Seriously never thought I would read anything like this. WP8 is much more locked down the iOS in almost every way from what I have seen.
    12-09-2013 02:08 PM
    So how many people chose WP8 because they are not mature enough to have options?
    What?

Mature enough?
    What does maturity have to do with a choosing a device for it's attributes?
    FinancialP likes this.
    12-09-2013 02:39 PM
    What?

Mature enough?
    What does maturity have to do with a choosing a device for it's attributes?
    If having too many options makes you screw up your device or makes it impossible for you to have self control from constantly changing and obsessing with settings then this is an issue found commonly in children.
    FinancialP likes this.
    12-09-2013 07:56 PM
    If having too many options makes you screw up your device or makes it impossible for you to have self control from constantly changing and obsessing with settings then this is an issue found commonly in children.
    Ahhh...
    The high and mighty has spoken.
    12-09-2013 09:04 PM
    Easy to use right out the box is nice and dandy but not having many customization options will stop many people from adopting the platform including developers as well as consumers. With people saying adding customization would ruin the WP8 experience because they had issues with being a mod addict on Android is just plain silly. The sooner MS opens up more for developers the faster this OS will grow and the better chance it will survive.
    12-09-2013 10:09 PM
    not having many customization options will stop many people from adopting the platform including developers as well as consumers

having too many options makes you screw up your device or makes it impossible for you to have self control from constantly changing and obsessing with settings then this is an issue found commonly in children
    Hmmm...
    12-09-2013 10:46 PM
    Leaving off the word "if" really changes things.
    12-09-2013 10:58 PM
    I'm really struggling with trying to figure out how having nonbinding options is a bad thing... LOL.

In any case, thanks for the info. Still new to WP8.
    12-09-2013 11:44 PM
    I'm really struggling with trying to figure out how having nonbinding options is a bad thing... LOL.

In any case, thanks for the info. Still new to WP8.
    I'm still trying to figure out why this is an 'option' and which totally goes against the ideas behind WP entirely. So there is no other reason to why this is wanted other than 'because I want to', which to some is a good enough reason.

So lets put this into perspective. You want to bypass all the security of WP. You want to have the ability to change the WP interface to the way you want it. You want to load software that may not be approved by MS and you want to do this simply because you can.

I can just see all the lovely posts coming to this form with all the additional issues around this. Sigh.

I'm sure more customisation will come to WP in time. I hope never to see custom ROMs but I think it's just a matter of time and I'm sure people will be celebrating because of it. I guess it all comes down to that old idea of 'because I can and want to'.

Anyway that's my two cents. I see there's no valid reasoning for this other than the overwhelming desire to have things the way you want them. Which, frankly, is the opposite of the ideas around Metro.
    Guytronic and neo158 like this.
    12-10-2013 02:34 AM
    If rooting wp would enable us to load wp9 or maybe even wp10 then i have no problem with it :-D

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD
    12-10-2013 03:28 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out why this is an 'option' and which totally goes against the ideas behind WP entirely. So there is no other reason to why this is wanted other than 'because I want to', which to some is a good enough reason.

So lets put this into perspective. You want to bypass all the security of WP. You want to have the ability to change the WP interface to the way you want it. You want to load software that may not be approved by MS and you want to do this simply because you can.

I can just see all the lovely posts coming to this form with all the additional issues around this. Sigh.

I'm sure more customisation will come to WP in time. I hope never to see custom ROMs but I think it's just a matter of time and I'm sure people will be celebrating because of it. I guess it all comes down to that old idea of 'because I can and want to'.

Anyway that's my two cents. I see there's no valid reasoning for this other than the overwhelming desire to have things the way you want them. Which, frankly, is the opposite of the ideas around Metro.
    I think I understand your confusion. You think we are saying that using a custom ROM would be compulsory, i.e. everyone with a Windows Phone would be required to do so. But don't worry! I don't think anyone here is advocating that. I would even be against it myself.
    I'm not some right-wing libertarian, but in this case, what other people do with their phones is really none of your, or my, business.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-10-2013 04:23 AM
    So how many people chose WP8 because they are not mature enough to have options? Seriously never thought I would read anything like this. WP8 is much more locked down the iOS in almost every way from what I have seen.
    I think Android Central is missing you. I'm certainly mature enough to have options but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!
    Guytronic and squire777 like this.
    12-10-2013 12:18 PM
    I think Android Central is missing you. I'm certainly mature enough to have options but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!
    Can someone please explain why so many people here are so against someone (not them) using a custom ROM? What possible business is it of yours? I cannot understand.
    12-10-2013 03:26 PM
    All high end Android phones out perform all WP8 phones aside from the 1020s camera. WP8 is missing so many things because of how restricted the OS is, even MS doesn't want to make a remote desktop app for it like it did for Android. WP8 lacks so many basic functions that Android and iOS have that just doesn't make sense not to include and not to mention the features from Windows 8 they could of included. Like why the hell does the search button just a hot key for Bing search? Why does it not search within the app you are in? Why are there no third party keyboards?

People saying that more options is a bad thing because they will constantly be changing things is not mature enough to own a phone.

Who says being able to customize simple things compromises security? Most of WP8s security comes from its lack of popularity, if the platform becomes popular people will start to hack and write viruses for it.
    12-10-2013 04:02 PM
    but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!
    I feel exactly like you do. That's why I primarily use Android.
    Hawkhe likes this.
    12-10-2013 04:04 PM
    As someone,who has used Unix/Linux in a professional capacity, I beg you: please stop mis-using the word root!
    xandros9, N_LaRUE and Guytronic like this.
    12-10-2013 10:48 PM
    All high end Android phones out perform all WP8 phones aside from the 1020s camera. WP8 is missing so many things because of how restricted the OS is, even MS doesn't want to make a remote desktop app for it like it did for Android. WP8 lacks so many basic functions that Android and iOS have that just doesn't make sense not to include and not to mention the features from Windows 8 they could of included. Like why the hell does the search button just a hot key for Bing search? Why does it not search within the app you are in? Why are there no third party keyboards?
    You should have said [RANT] at the front of your rant. So do you actually own a WP or are you commenting here because you feel your opinion is worth something like anoy_mouse?

People saying that more options is a bad thing because they will constantly be changing things is not mature enough to own a phone.
    What does maturity have to do with it? I like a phone that works out of the box and you want to play with yours?

Who says being able to customize simple things compromises security? Most of WP8s security comes from its lack of popularity, if the platform becomes popular people will start to hack and write viruses for it.
    You obviously are clueless to the security features of WP, which doesn't surprise me as you haven't said anything that holds true so far.

So, I'm still waiting for a reason for custom ROMs other than 'because'. I thought there something useful would have come out of asking that question. So far, nothing.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 04:29 AM
    Ah Mr/Ms N_LaRue, you remember me! It's great to see you too.
    What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against other people doing this. Please can you explain? Note: "I don't want it" is not a valid reason for other people to want it.
    BTW, sometime I would like to start a thread on why Windows Phone is seen as more secure than other OSes, but that will have to wait for another day.
    12-11-2013 06:29 AM
    Ah Mr/Ms N_LaRue, you remember me! It's great to see you too.
    What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against other people doing this. Please can you explain? Note: "I don't want it" is not a valid reason for other people to want it.
    BTW, sometime I would like to start a thread on why Windows Phone is seen as more secure than other OSes, but that will have to wait for another day.
    Let me be clear. I have no issues if people want to mess up their phones. By all means do so. I just want someone to actually tell me why it's a good idea to do so which hasn't happened yet.

The normal reasons why people do these things with Android and iPhone has to do with getting around blocks put in by either the manufacturer or carrier. With iPhone it's mostly about installing apps that Apple won't approve. With Android it's normally about getting the vanilla version or having a 'neat' looking interface.

So my reasons are this.

1) Most people choose WP for the interface. It's one of the main selling points. If you want to change it why are you on WP?
    2) I don't think there's anything that's really blocked on WP, you're getting vanilla WP, so not sure what will be bypassed if you 'root' it. I guess some carriers can be difficult but then don't choose that carrier.
    3) I think some people believe if get into the OS they can then put in features they want. Not sure how easy this would be to accomplish as I don't think it's that straightforward.
    4) MS will never allow software for 'rooted' phones in their Store so it will be totally out of control opening doors to viruses and malware. MS has enough issues and a bad rep with their Windows OS, that's why they're very cautious with their phone. They don't want virus software slowing down the phone OS.

One of the reasons why WP is secure because it uses a sandboxed app environment.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 08:28 AM
    Let me be clear. I have no issues if people want to mess up their phones. By all means do so. I just want someone to actually tell me why it's a good idea to do so which hasn't happened yet.
    It's good to hear that you don't want to impose restrictions on what people do with their phones.

The normal reasons why people do these things with Android and iPhone has to do with getting around blocks put in by either the manufacturer or carrier. With iPhone it's mostly about installing apps that Apple won't approve. With Android it's normally about getting the vanilla version or having a 'neat' looking interface.
    I wouldn't personally install a custom ROM (if a phone was too restricted I wouldn't buy it in the first place), but I'll try to answer your question.
    I think the reasons are the same as for iOS and Android. Installing non-approved applications, running newer/different versions of software which are not officially supported, getting around carrier restrictions such as SIM-locks, prevention of tethering, etc. And also because some people like to tinker and experiment, which is not a bad thing.
    Obviously this is just speculation, those who would actually do this can give a better answer.

So my reasons are this.
    Your reasons for what, exactly?

1) Most people choose WP for the interface. It's one of the main selling points. If you want to change it why are you on WP?
    2) I don't think there's anything that's really blocked on WP, you're getting vanilla WP, so not sure what will be bypassed if you 'root' it. I guess some carriers can be difficult but then don't choose that carrier.
    3) I think some people believe if get into the OS they can then put in features they want. Not sure how easy this would be to accomplish as I don't think it's that straightforward.
    4) MS will never allow software for 'rooted' phones in their Store so it will be totally out of control opening doors to viruses and malware. MS has enough issues and a bad rep with their Windows OS, that's why they're very cautious with their phone. They don't want virus software slowing down the phone OS.
    1) Maybe. Actually I suspect most people choose WP because the Nokia 520 is cheap, but that's a discussion for another day. Liking the UI doesn't invalidate any of the points above.
    2) Restrictions on WP are similar to restrictions on iOS, and are more severe than Android regarding installing non-approved apps.
    3) Probably true - although I heard reports that some unofficial version of WP includes a rotation lock. That's a critical feature and might be enough to make some people use a custom ROM by itself.
    4) That's a decision for the owner of the phone. I expect someone who has the interest and expertise to use a custom ROM will be aware of these risks, and will probably own a Windows PC already. BTW, I'm not assuming this is something Microsoft would ever approve. The question is whether they can stop it, and to what lengths they go to to do so.

One of the reasons why WP is secure because it uses a sandboxed app environment.
    So are iOS and Android (although on Android it's easy for the user to enable installing apps from non-approved sources if they wish).
    12-11-2013 08:47 AM

This post tells me that you haven't used a Windows Phone, period. Lets break it down into several points:

1. High end Android phones have never been able to outperform Windows Phones because Android just isn't optimised for the hardware it runs on. So that point is pure BS.

2. Your second point is complete and utter BS as well, Windows Phone has several Remote Desktop apps, ever hear of Splashtop or TeamViewer. Microsoft have stated that they are making a Remote Desktop app for Windows Phone as well.

3. Windows Phone is gaining features with every update and an Enterprise feature pack is due early next year. So lacks basic functions, maybe, but they aren't being thrown in haphazardly like on Android.

4. Does the search bar in Android allow you to search Bing or any other search engine without rooting? I'll leave it at that.

5. Windows Phone has one of the best keyboards on a mobile device so we don't need third party keyboards.

6. You more options comment is just arrogance, what does a persons maturity have to do with owning a phone?

7. If security isn't an issue from rooting and installing a Custom ROM then tell me why Barclays PingIt refuses to work on rooted devices or why Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware apps exist for Android. Most of Windows Phones security come from Secure Boot and sandboxing, not lack of popularity.

I like options, options are good but as N_LaRUE has said no one in this thread has offered a convincing reason as to why Windows Phone needs custom ROMs
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 11:18 AM
    I feel exactly like you do. That's why I primarily use Android.
    If you feel the same way I do then you'd be primarily using a Windows Phone instead
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 11:21 AM
    Can someone please explain why so many people here are so against someone (not them) using a custom ROM? What possible business is it of yours? I cannot understand.
    Because no one has offered a convincing argument as to why they are necessary on Windows Phone. Others can do what they want with their phones, I don't care.

What I want to know is why I'm not mature enough to own a phone if I don't support Windows Phone having custom ROMs?
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-11-2013 11:32 AM
66 123