Are there ways to put custom ROM's on WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I think Android Central is missing you. I'm certainly mature enough to have options but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!

All high end Android phones out perform all WP8 phones aside from the 1020s camera. WP8 is missing so many things because of how restricted the OS is, even MS doesn't want to make a remote desktop app for it like it did for Android. WP8 lacks so many basic functions that Android and iOS have that just doesn't make sense not to include and not to mention the features from Windows 8 they could of included. Like why the hell does the search button just a hot key for Bing search? Why does it not search within the app you are in? Why are there no third party keyboards?

People saying that more options is a bad thing because they will constantly be changing things is not mature enough to own a phone.

Who says being able to customize simple things compromises security? Most of WP8s security comes from its lack of popularity, if the platform becomes popular people will start to hack and write viruses for it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
All high end Android phones out perform all WP8 phones aside from the 1020s camera. WP8 is missing so many things because of how restricted the OS is, even MS doesn't want to make a remote desktop app for it like it did for Android. WP8 lacks so many basic functions that Android and iOS have that just doesn't make sense not to include and not to mention the features from Windows 8 they could of included. Like why the hell does the search button just a hot key for Bing search? Why does it not search within the app you are in? Why are there no third party keyboards?

You should have said [RANT] at the front of your rant. So do you actually own a WP or are you commenting here because you feel your opinion is worth something like anoy_mouse?

People saying that more options is a bad thing because they will constantly be changing things is not mature enough to own a phone.

What does maturity have to do with it? I like a phone that works out of the box and you want to play with yours?

Who says being able to customize simple things compromises security? Most of WP8s security comes from its lack of popularity, if the platform becomes popular people will start to hack and write viruses for it.

You obviously are clueless to the security features of WP, which doesn't surprise me as you haven't said anything that holds true so far.

So, I'm still waiting for a reason for custom ROMs other than 'because'. I thought there something useful would have come out of asking that question. So far, nothing.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Ah Mr/Ms N_LaRue, you remember me! It's great to see you too.
What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against other people doing this. Please can you explain? Note: "I don't want it" is not a valid reason for other people to want it.
BTW, sometime I would like to start a thread on why Windows Phone is seen as more secure than other OSes, but that will have to wait for another day.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Ah Mr/Ms N_LaRue, you remember me! It's great to see you too.
What I don't understand is why you seem to be so against other people doing this. Please can you explain? Note: "I don't want it" is not a valid reason for other people to want it.
BTW, sometime I would like to start a thread on why Windows Phone is seen as more secure than other OSes, but that will have to wait for another day.

Let me be clear. I have no issues if people want to mess up their phones. By all means do so. I just want someone to actually tell me why it's a good idea to do so which hasn't happened yet.

The normal reasons why people do these things with Android and iPhone has to do with getting around blocks put in by either the manufacturer or carrier. With iPhone it's mostly about installing apps that Apple won't approve. With Android it's normally about getting the vanilla version or having a 'neat' looking interface.

So my reasons are this.

1) Most people choose WP for the interface. It's one of the main selling points. If you want to change it why are you on WP?
2) I don't think there's anything that's really blocked on WP, you're getting vanilla WP, so not sure what will be bypassed if you 'root' it. I guess some carriers can be difficult but then don't choose that carrier.
3) I think some people believe if get into the OS they can then put in features they want. Not sure how easy this would be to accomplish as I don't think it's that straightforward.
4) MS will never allow software for 'rooted' phones in their Store so it will be totally out of control opening doors to viruses and malware. MS has enough issues and a bad rep with their Windows OS, that's why they're very cautious with their phone. They don't want virus software slowing down the phone OS.

One of the reasons why WP is secure because it uses a sandboxed app environment.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Let me be clear. I have no issues if people want to mess up their phones. By all means do so. I just want someone to actually tell me why it's a good idea to do so which hasn't happened yet.

It's good to hear that you don't want to impose restrictions on what people do with their phones.

The normal reasons why people do these things with Android and iPhone has to do with getting around blocks put in by either the manufacturer or carrier. With iPhone it's mostly about installing apps that Apple won't approve. With Android it's normally about getting the vanilla version or having a 'neat' looking interface.

I wouldn't personally install a custom ROM (if a phone was too restricted I wouldn't buy it in the first place), but I'll try to answer your question.
I think the reasons are the same as for iOS and Android. Installing non-approved applications, running newer/different versions of software which are not officially supported, getting around carrier restrictions such as SIM-locks, prevention of tethering, etc. And also because some people like to tinker and experiment, which is not a bad thing.
Obviously this is just speculation, those who would actually do this can give a better answer.

So my reasons are this.

Your reasons for what, exactly?

1) Most people choose WP for the interface. It's one of the main selling points. If you want to change it why are you on WP?
2) I don't think there's anything that's really blocked on WP, you're getting vanilla WP, so not sure what will be bypassed if you 'root' it. I guess some carriers can be difficult but then don't choose that carrier.
3) I think some people believe if get into the OS they can then put in features they want. Not sure how easy this would be to accomplish as I don't think it's that straightforward.
4) MS will never allow software for 'rooted' phones in their Store so it will be totally out of control opening doors to viruses and malware. MS has enough issues and a bad rep with their Windows OS, that's why they're very cautious with their phone. They don't want virus software slowing down the phone OS.

1) Maybe. Actually I suspect most people choose WP because the Nokia 520 is cheap, but that's a discussion for another day. Liking the UI doesn't invalidate any of the points above.
2) Restrictions on WP are similar to restrictions on iOS, and are more severe than Android regarding installing non-approved apps.
3) Probably true - although I heard reports that some unofficial version of WP includes a rotation lock. That's a critical feature and might be enough to make some people use a custom ROM by itself.
4) That's a decision for the owner of the phone. I expect someone who has the interest and expertise to use a custom ROM will be aware of these risks, and will probably own a Windows PC already. BTW, I'm not assuming this is something Microsoft would ever approve. The question is whether they can stop it, and to what lengths they go to to do so.

One of the reasons why WP is secure because it uses a sandboxed app environment.

So are iOS and Android (although on Android it's easy for the user to enable installing apps from non-approved sources if they wish).

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

This post tells me that you haven't used a Windows Phone, period. Lets break it down into several points:

1. High end Android phones have never been able to outperform Windows Phones because Android just isn't optimised for the hardware it runs on. So that point is pure BS.

2. Your second point is complete and utter BS as well, Windows Phone has several Remote Desktop apps, ever hear of Splashtop or TeamViewer. Microsoft have stated that they are making a Remote Desktop app for Windows Phone as well.

3. Windows Phone is gaining features with every update and an Enterprise feature pack is due early next year. So lacks basic functions, maybe, but they aren't being thrown in haphazardly like on Android.

4. Does the search bar in Android allow you to search Bing or any other search engine without rooting? I'll leave it at that.

5. Windows Phone has one of the best keyboards on a mobile device so we don't need third party keyboards.

6. You more options comment is just arrogance, what does a persons maturity have to do with owning a phone?

7. If security isn't an issue from rooting and installing a Custom ROM then tell me why Barclays PingIt refuses to work on rooted devices or why Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware apps exist for Android. Most of Windows Phones security come from Secure Boot and sandboxing, not lack of popularity.

I like options, options are good but as N_LaRUE has said no one in this thread has offered a convincing reason as to why Windows Phone needs custom ROMs

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please explain why so many people here are so against someone (not them) using a custom ROM? What possible business is it of yours? I cannot understand.

Because no one has offered a convincing argument as to why they are necessary on Windows Phone. Others can do what they want with their phones, I don't care.

What I want to know is why I'm not mature enough to own a phone if I don't support Windows Phone having custom ROMs?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
This post tells me that you haven't used a Windows Phone, period. Lets break it down into several points:

Your points below, especially the first one, tell me that you haven't used an Android phone, at least a recent flagship. A Nexus 5 or Moto X will at least match, if not outdo, the performance of any WP.

If you feel the same way I do then you'd be primarily using a Windows Phone instead :wink:

I see what you did there! :grin: You're correct, taking my post literally would mean I'd be using a Windows Phone. I of course was referring to your description of what you want in a phone.

I came to my conclusion by experience. Have you had a recent Nexus device? Try a Nexus 5 or a Nexus 4 and then tell me you have to flash a custom ROM to get "a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!". As I've said before, Android rightly earned the negative reputation. However, it's no longer valid. It's like saying you're not going to Hiroshima, Japan because the US is dropping nuclear bombs there.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Your points below, especially the first one, tell me that you haven't used an Android phone, at least a recent flagship. A Nexus 5 or Moto X will at least match, if not outdo, the performance of any WP.

I was just pointing out the holes in his argument based on my experience as a mature smartphone user. Granted I haven't used either of those phones but from the performance of Android 4.4 on my Galaxy Nexus I would say it matches my Windows Phone.

I see what you did there! :grin: You're correct, taking my post literally would mean I'd be using a Windows Phone. I of course was referring to your description of what you want in a phone.

I came to my conclusion by experience. Have you had a recent Nexus device? Try a Nexus 5 or a Nexus 4 and then tell me you have to flash a custom ROM to get "a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!". As I've said before, Android rightly earned the negative reputation. However, it's no longer valid. It's like saying you're not going to Hiroshima, Japan because the US is dropping nuclear bombs there.

The irony is that I had to root my Galaxy Nexus to install the CM11 Nightly build to get Android 4.4, so to be fair I did have to root my phone and install a custom ROM to get better performance.

Thank you for a civilised reply in a thread filled with angry hateful posts :wink:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Because no one has offered a convincing argument as to why they are necessary on Windows Phone. Others can do what they want with their phones, I don't care.

What I want to know is why I'm not mature enough to own a phone if I don't support Windows Phone having custom ROMs?

Previous comments about "Maturity" and "found commonly in children" I thought was condescending at it's best.
Those of us who have or had children in our lives recognize their unfettered brilliance.
Many who are obsessed with changing things such as the large population of happy Android device owners become that way born from childlike curiosity.

Why is it vital to elbow in here to force a change in a system that works fine for many of us?

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Previous comments about "Maturity" and "found commonly in children" I thought was condescending at it's best.
Those of us who have or had children in our lives recognize their unfettered brilliance.
Many who are obsessed with changing things such as the large population of happy Android device owners become that way born from childlike curiosity.

Why is it vital to elbow in here to force a change in a system that works fine for many of us?

I totally agree, it's condescending, rude and an insult.
I don't have children myself but, as a godparent, I have recognised the unfettered brilliance in my godchildren.
I think you're right, Android users have a childlike curiosity and that is by no means an insult. Because of this they have a because I can attitude which suits Android.

The problem is that the vast majority of Windows Phone users these days have come over from Android and expect it to work the same way.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
So are iOS and Android (although on Android it's easy for the user to enable installing apps from non-approved sources if they wish).

With regards to Android, when a person "roots" their device, they are essentially disabling the most basic security feature of any Unix/Linux system. The most important step to protecting a *nix system is to disable root access. Root is a user that, for lack of a better term, is a god on the system. By rooting your Android device, you are virtually running everything on that user level. Sure, it allows you to do whatever you want to with the system, but it also allows anything else operating on that same run level the exact same access. And that can allow things to bypass sandboxing if they want to.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The irony is that I had to root my Galaxy Nexus to install the CM11 Nightly build to get Android 4.4, so to be fair I did have to root my phone and install a custom ROM to get better performance.

Yes for the Galaxy Nexus that's true. My wife had one. But, it ran just fine on 4.3 Jelly Bean. It just didn't get KitKat.

I'm sure you wonder why I'm on WPCentral all the time but yet defend Android. What happened was that a year ago, and then again 6 months ago or so, I did switch to WP. However, I found it too lacking for what I wanted. And since I like Android as well and I'm not worried about being Scroogled, I didn't see any reason to put up with less functionality. But if someone wants to avoid Google or Apple for whatever reason, or love WP's UI, I have no issue with that. That's why we have choices! What I don't like in this forum is the false info being said about Android, like slow, buggy, laggy, virus-infested. A couple years ago a lot of the accusations would've been valid, but no more. Well, TBH I don't know if it's much more secure, but I think that issue is blown out of proportion. Android supposedly has 80% of mobile malware, but it also has 80% market share. WP8 was exploited shortly after it was released to the public. I'm sure if WP's market share was 80%, it would be compromised as well.

I have a WP that I use as a 2nd device, and I'm hoping 8.1 or later updates bring the OS closer to the modern day. When I feel I'm gaining more than I'm losing by going WP, I'll do it.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
With regards to Android, when a person "roots" their device, they are essentially disabling the most basic security feature of any Unix/Linux system. The most important step to protecting a *nix system is to disable root access. Root is a user that, for lack of a better term, is a god on the system. By rooting your Android device, you are virtually running everything on that user level. Sure, it allows you to do whatever you want to with the system, but it also allows anything else operating on that same run level the exact same access. And that can allow things to bypass sandboxing if they want to.

I'm not talking about 'rooting'. I'm talking about ticking the little box that allows you to install apps from sources other than
Google.
Rooting an Android device, or using a custom ROM on any device, is for experts only. Normal users should not, and don't, do it. The fact it can be done does not pose a risk to them.
Having said that, I don't believe that rooting an Android device means that everything runs as root. I believe it means the user can execute some commands as root. You are also assuming that sandboxing on Android relies on user access control. Genuine question - is that correct?

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

1. Don't confuse a personal insult with a technical issue.
2. If you don't care what others do with their phones, why not let them use a custom ROM? For good reasons or bad, some people want to do this. It doesn't affect you or me, so why not let them?

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Why is it that most people I see (here and other forums) advocating for custom WP ROMs are mainly Android users who probably don't even own a Windows phone?

With Android I can understand why there is such a high demand for custom ROMs. If you buy some crap Android phone that's slow as molasses out of the box then surely a custom ROM is your best bet to increase performance. With WP there aren't those types of major lag issues so the only point I can see why people would want one is to pirate apps.

And technically no one is stopping you from using a custom ROM on your WP. If you can figure out how to do it then go right ahead.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that most people I see (here and other forums) advocating for custom WP ROMs are mainly Android users who probably don't even own a Windows phone?

With Android I can understand why there is such a high demand for custom ROMs. If you buy some crap Android phone that's slow as molasses out of the box then surely a custom ROM is your best bet to increase performance. With WP there aren't those types of major lag issues so the only point I can see why people would want one is to pirate apps.

And technically no one is stopping you from using a custom ROM on your WP. If you can figure out how to do it then go right ahead.

It's nice that you will let them! And you managed to insult Android in the same post. Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo