Are there ways to put custom ROM's on WP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I know people keep banging on about how WP is behind the other top OS but having the ability flash custom ROMs isn't going to make WP better in my eyes. It's going to take a very good programmer to get through the security of WP which makes me wonder how stable a custom ROM would be.

Aside from the 'options' comment I would really like to know a good reason for a custom ROM. What's the point? The whole idea of WP is simplicity. What you're trying to do is make it more complex. That's what I don't get.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I know people keep banging on about how WP is behind the other top OS but having the ability flash custom ROMs isn't going to make WP better in my eyes. It's going to take a very good programmer to get through the security of WP which makes me wonder how stable a custom ROM would be.

Aside from the 'options' comment I would really like to know a good reason for a custom ROM. What's the point? The whole idea of WP is simplicity. What you're trying to do is make it more complex. That's what I don't get.

That's fine - you don't have to use a custom ROM. There's no reason to worry, though, if other people do.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Let me put it this way then because Android has custom ROMs then WP has to have them, does it?

Well, some people in this thread seem to want them. Personally I have no opinion. I'm not interested enough in smart phones to reprogram my phone. But I have no problem if other people do. What business is it of mine, or yours, if someone reprograms their WP phone?
I'm not sure what Android has to do with it? We're talking about WP here.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Why this thread is still alive. Op question has been answered and thus this thread should be closed

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why this thread is still alive. Op question has been answered and thus this thread should be closed

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

That's quite rude, Mr/Ms rakesh1995. We are having an interesting discussion. There's no need for you to read this thread if you don't want to.
This is another example of the "I'm not interested in something therefore it should be stopped" attitude, which is bizarrely common on this forum.

halamadridkimi

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Why are u people acting like an possibility to root/flash WP it would ruin WP... Choices are always good, just imagine ur Lumia 720 won't get an 8.2 update but with flashing rooting u would get it.. For example on android galaxy s1 with flashing can get jellybean on it.. It makes device last longer...

And the point is, if u don't like the idea then just don't comment or bash the idea because u don't need it or like it, Choice/possiblity is always good thing and flashing / would not be everybody's thing but choices to have them would only be good.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
So how many people chose WP8 because they are not mature enough to have options? Seriously never thought I would read anything like this. WP8 is much more locked down the iOS in almost every way from what I have seen.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
What?

Mature enough?
What does maturity have to do with a choosing a device for it's attributes?

If having too many options makes you screw up your device or makes it impossible for you to have self control from constantly changing and obsessing with settings then this is an issue found commonly in children.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If having too many options makes you screw up your device or makes it impossible for you to have self control from constantly changing and obsessing with settings then this is an issue found commonly in children.

Ahhh...
The high and mighty has spoken.

Hawkhe

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Easy to use right out the box is nice and dandy but not having many customization options will stop many people from adopting the platform including developers as well as consumers. With people saying adding customization would ruin the WP8 experience because they had issues with being a mod addict on Android is just plain silly. The sooner MS opens up more for developers the faster this OS will grow and the better chance it will survive.

Tre Lawrence

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm really struggling with trying to figure out how having nonbinding options is a bad thing... LOL.

In any case, thanks for the info. Still new to WP8.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm really struggling with trying to figure out how having nonbinding options is a bad thing... LOL.

In any case, thanks for the info. Still new to WP8.

I'm still trying to figure out why this is an 'option' and which totally goes against the ideas behind WP entirely. So there is no other reason to why this is wanted other than 'because I want to', which to some is a good enough reason.

So lets put this into perspective. You want to bypass all the security of WP. You want to have the ability to change the WP interface to the way you want it. You want to load software that may not be approved by MS and you want to do this simply because you can.

I can just see all the lovely posts coming to this form with all the additional issues around this. Sigh.

I'm sure more customisation will come to WP in time. I hope never to see custom ROMs but I think it's just a matter of time and I'm sure people will be celebrating because of it. I guess it all comes down to that old idea of 'because I can and want to'.

Anyway that's my two cents. I see there's no valid reasoning for this other than the overwhelming desire to have things the way you want them. Which, frankly, is the opposite of the ideas around Metro.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
If rooting wp would enable us to load wp9 or maybe even wp10 then i have no problem with it :-D

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to figure out why this is an 'option' and which totally goes against the ideas behind WP entirely. So there is no other reason to why this is wanted other than 'because I want to', which to some is a good enough reason.

So lets put this into perspective. You want to bypass all the security of WP. You want to have the ability to change the WP interface to the way you want it. You want to load software that may not be approved by MS and you want to do this simply because you can.

I can just see all the lovely posts coming to this form with all the additional issues around this. Sigh.

I'm sure more customisation will come to WP in time. I hope never to see custom ROMs but I think it's just a matter of time and I'm sure people will be celebrating because of it. I guess it all comes down to that old idea of 'because I can and want to'.

Anyway that's my two cents. I see there's no valid reasoning for this other than the overwhelming desire to have things the way you want them. Which, frankly, is the opposite of the ideas around Metro.

I think I understand your confusion. You think we are saying that using a custom ROM would be compulsory, i.e. everyone with a Windows Phone would be required to do so. But don't worry! I don't think anyone here is advocating that. I would even be against it myself.
I'm not some right-wing libertarian, but in this case, what other people do with their phones is really none of your, or my, business.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
So how many people chose WP8 because they are not mature enough to have options? Seriously never thought I would read anything like this. WP8 is much more locked down the iOS in almost every way from what I have seen.

I think Android Central is missing you. I'm certainly mature enough to have options but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I think Android Central is missing you. I'm certainly mature enough to have options but I want a phone that works out OOTB not one I have to root, and install a custom ROM/Kernel onto to get better performance!!

Can someone please explain why so many people here are so against someone (not them) using a custom ROM? What possible business is it of yours? I cannot understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99