Something very, very odd just happened?!?!? Virus? Hack?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Something really, really odd just happened. I am at work and my 920 is sitting on my Nokia Wireless charger. All of the sudden (my phone is on vibrate) it vibrates and I look over at it.

The screen is on ADD NETWORK (under Wi-Fi advanced) and there is a name that is input there. I have no idea who?s network that is. I wish now I paid attention to the name, but I just hit the back button to get out of it. My phone has also been changed to the white background with the green accent. I have mine set as Dark with Cobalt.

I do not have Wi-Fi access here at work and I am only connected to data through ATT. I do not have Automatically Connect to Wi-Fi Hotspots checked either.

What the???? What just happened???

I just restarted my phone but I have never experienced something like this before?and I am a little concerned?

Last edited:

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: Something very, very odd just happened?!?!?

This gave me chills... If its been a while since you've either restarted the phone or done a factory reset, that might be a good idea. I like to restart my phone at least every 2 days, maybe do a factory reset every few months as long as you have everything organized to put back on it.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually restarted it last night, and I did a soft reset on Saturday.

What could this have been?

It does creep me out, but I haven't done anything odd, and I don't connect to WiFi networks.

Can someone just take control of my phone like that? A rouge App? I don't have any strange apps installed.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If this were a 928, I would be fairly certain that it was a episode of the issue of what I'll call "ghost screen touches". Since GDR2, a number of us with 928s have experienced ghost touches on our phones, as well as episodes of the screen not detecting a touch at all (while the rest of the phone continues to work). I haven't heard of this happening on the 920, though, but also consider that I do not hang out in the 920 forum, since I don't have a 920. You might look over there to see if anyone has come up with a similar circumstance on the 920.

FYI, when these ghost touches (sometimes taps, sometimes swipes) happen, restarting the phone is the only resolution.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
OMG you bett3r get sum Norton or you FBI VIRUS!!!!

In all seriousness, what hopmedic said. I've had the same happen to my 928

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. That makes me feel better. I am not on the forum much anymore, but I am not a aluminum foil hat guy. I am sure it was just a random touch bug or something similar. That actually happened to me about a week ago where my 920 just started going crazy, and I had to restart it. That time though seemed to be like someone was tapping in one spot. The one from the other day was odd because I tried duplicating changing the theme and background, tapping on the same spot, but it could not be done. I definitely couldn't get to add network that way either.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It could be an actual ghost and it was trying to type you a message and you made it mad by ignoring it.

Good luck sleeping tonight.. :wink:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That is really bizarre. I've never experienced anything like that on my 920. Hopefully, all it is IS exactly what hopmedic said. I would probably freak out too, though if I had this happen with my phone.

ntice_521

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Something similar happened to me...the background color and accent color mysteriously changed. (The good news: it was an improvement. :))

No doubt there's a logical explanation for how "random" touches can do this, but I don't know what it is.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It could be an actual ghost and it was trying to type you a message and you made it mad by ignoring it.

Good luck sleeping tonight.. :wink:

I've said a few times that there was a ghost following me around. I like to taunt him by restarting the phone. He doesn't have the patience to hang around until it is restarted to do it again.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is NFC on? Any tags near you charger?

Or do you have an app like TouchDevelop, where you may have downloaded a script and not known what it does?... and left the app running?

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Is NFC on? Any tags near you charger?

Or do you have an app like TouchDevelop, where you may have downloaded a script and not known what it does?... and left the app running?

Nope. NFC is off and no apps like that. Must have just been the ghost touch bug. That is the only logical explanation. Its very odd though what it was able to do with random touches.
Seems a bit too odd. It wouldn't be so odd if was just random apps opened, or if the touch happened on the same spot on the screen.

Oh well. Hasn't happened again...that I have seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes