Is it just me, or is flash still very relevant? I have come across many sites that use flash, I think the industry was wrongfully swayed by apple and their bashing of flash. I think flash player is most defenantly need on a mobile platform.
    12-15-2013 12:27 PM
    Is it just me, or is flash still very relevant? I have come across many sites that use flash, I think the industry was wrongfully swayed by apple and their bashing of flash. I think flash player is most defenantly need on a mobile platform.
    I do agree with your statement and still use flash player on my laptop but people are switching to HTML5 as it is gining more popularity

sent either from my Nokia Lumia 820 or HTC Desire HD
    12-15-2013 12:43 PM
    Both Flash and Java should be taken out and 'Ol Yellered. Their security issues are legion.
    12-15-2013 01:27 PM
    Both Flash and Java should be taken out and 'Ol Yellered. Their security issues are legion.
    I'm quite happy to have flash and java on my desktop, but don't want them on my phone due to limited resources and screen size etc.

Java and flash are no less secure than some other environments (look at the number of security hot fixes you get on patch Tuesday) - I guess it's cool to bash Java and Flash.
    12-16-2013 08:47 AM
    Its been waaaay too easy for devs to abuse the certificate model in Java. I have to care for nearly a hundred desktops and notebooks that access a portal for a car manufacturer that up until recently was owned in part by the GovernMent. Every interaction we have with this manufacturer occurs through this portal. Java is used extensively, and in my opinion needlessly, throughout. And not just any Java - only Java 6 update 39. Part of that is due to the lackadaisical cert signing allowances Sun/Oracle permitted. To do some diagnostics on a vehicle, a total of 5 certs have to be permitted - 3 of which are self-signed by third party devs. All on machines that access the internet for a dozen other things as well.

To be honest, its basically just lazy devs. Its not like they're targeting multiple environments - they're not, just Win 7. A lot of my gripe could be solved by consolidating certs and using a trusted CA for signing. At least then, I might be able to utilize the latest Java updates - but then that leads to a whole other issue: "sponsored" ad-ons in the update apps.....
    12-16-2013 09:53 AM
    I don't think you can blame Java for these issues.

Java 6 has been eol for nearly a year and u39 isn't the latest version. It sounds like the problems you are experiencing are not with Java, but with your application and how it was developed/supported.
    12-16-2013 09:59 AM
    Oracle, as much as they wish, can't just walk away from their and Sun's past transgressions. Ultimately, its their dev environment and security model that was used. They need to actively work with devs to pull security implementation forward - instead of wishing devs would just leave them alone. Oracle wants the benefits of the Java intellectual property - even though it is community process - without the responsibility.
    12-16-2013 10:32 AM
    What's with these odd threads lately? First Java and now Flash...
    12-16-2013 10:34 AM
    Flash for mobile devices is deader than a herd of dead donkeys being beaten by a hundred twice-dead zombies with their own dead and decaying arms as clubs.

Let it be forever dead and let's let technology move on with the times.
    Laura Knotek and Reflexx like this.
    12-16-2013 10:38 AM
    It's just you. Adobe stopped mobile Flash development 2 years ago. Hardly any sites still use it, certainly not mobile sites.

Flash for mobile devices is deader than a herd of dead donkeys being beaten by a hundred twice-dead zombies with their own dead and decaying arms as clubs.

Let it be forever dead and let's let technology move on with the times.
    Exactly. We might as well complain that Netscape isn't available for WP.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-16-2013 10:42 AM

Just you :)

There are a very small subset of (bad) sites that rely on flash for the interface, sure. Imo this is bad design for even desktop, and not that many sites do it.

As for actual content made in flash- meh. All the flash games and cartoons are a phase I went through as a kid, and it's evident a lot of kids on this forum are in that phase now. The games have clones in the app store at least, and cartoons made with flash need to die off or move on to a new medium eventually.

The last thing is streaming video with a video player wrapper made in flash. Flash is not even necessary for this, the wrapper could be html5 or Silverlight or anything. Also anything would be better suited than flash for this. Sometimes you can detect the video stream and just plat the video in your own player (there are apps in the store for this) but not always, which is annoying. This will be where flash will take the longest to die and soon everyone will hate the sites that force them to install the useless flash plugin to watch a video.
    12-16-2013 10:47 AM
    Having had Flash before, on a mobile device, I miss it alot.
    12-16-2013 02:03 PM
    It's just you. Adobe stopped mobile Flash development 2 years ago. Hardly any sites still use it, certainly not mobile sites.

Exactly. We might as well complain that Netscape isn't available for WP.
    Mobile Flash development. Anyone can still implement Flash themselves, ie BB10. What does mobile flash have to do with Flash and its existence on existing web sites??

Netscape compared to Flash. Pretty bad comparison. lol
    12-16-2013 02:08 PM
    What does mobile flash have to do with Flash and its existence on existing web sites??
    Everything. Flash content on web sites requires a Flash player on the client hardware, whether this is a laptop/desktop or a mobile phone/tablet. Having Flash content on a web site doesn't magically make things happen to anything that comes across it.

There are a few third party apps out there on Apple and Android platforms that emulate flash players and can consume Flash content in a limited fashion. But these are not officially supported and any subsequent security exploit or performance issues are passed directly to the app that's using the Flash content.

And yes, Netscape is a valid comparison. Like Flash, it works after a fashion, but it's old, unsupported, insecure and outright obsolete in a technical sense.
    12-16-2013 02:35 PM
    Its like you made my point about mobile Flash. Removing the mobile flash plug in doesn't change the fact that Flash exists on websites.

Just to avoid any confusion, considering we are talking about Flash, lets assume anyone wondering about Flash on a mobile device is using desktop versions of websites. Just wanna be clear, I haven't visited a mobile site, while a "desktop" version was available, in years.

But Flash IS supported. Lol. How does Adobe saying they aren't going to continue support for a mobile plugin make Flash obsolete? It doesn't. Perhaps I'm not understanding your point...
    12-16-2013 03:10 PM
    Mobile Flash development. Anyone can still implement Flash themselves, ie BB10. What does mobile flash have to do with Flash and its existence on existing web sites??
    Because the OP said "I think flash player is most defenantly need on a mobile platform."
    Considering that a) Adobe no longer cares about developing for mobile clients and b) nobody that makes websites for mobile clients cares either, I conclude that very few other than the OP, certainly those who actually develop anything for mobile, feel that it's "defenantly" needed.
    12-16-2013 03:51 PM
    Again, I'm not talking about mobile sites.
    12-17-2013 01:28 PM
    Then why are you arguing? The thread is about Flash on mobile devices. This requires builds specifically designed for these devices. Adobe has said they are no longer supporting mobile devices.

Now do you want to talk about the topic of the thread or do you want to continue arguing a point that isn't even valid in this case?
    Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 12-17-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    12-17-2013 01:54 PM
    I want flash just so I can listen to Sirius XM
    12-17-2013 01:59 PM
    Not arguing.

I'm not sure if your trying to be stubborn or what... Lol. This thread is about Flash on mobile devices. You are the only one that mentioned mobile websites.

I'm really not trying to be rude, I just don't understand your thought process here. Do you not understand mobile devices can view desktop websites?? Like I've said multiple times, I am referring to mobile devices viewing desktop websites, exactly what this thread is about.

I'll just leave it there because I don't know how many times I can repeat that before assuming you are trolling or just being an anti Flash fanboy.

Not like these debates get anywhere anyways...
    12-17-2013 02:00 PM
    Not arguing.

I'm not sure if your trying to be stubborn or what... Lol. This thread is about Flash on mobile devices. You are the only one that mentioned mobile websites.

I'm really not trying to be rude, I just don't understand your thought process here. Do you not understand mobile devices can view desktop websites?? Like I've said multiple times, I am referring to mobile devices viewing desktop websites, exactly what this thread is about.

I'll just leave it there because I don't know how many times I can repeat that before assuming you are trolling or just being an anti Flash fanboy.

Not like these debates get anywhere anyways...
    This is the second thread about flash support. Did you guys time travel from 2005?
    MikeSo and link68759 like this.
    12-17-2013 02:08 PM
    Like I've said multiple times, I am referring to mobile devices viewing desktop websites, exactly what this thread is about.
    Look... Adobe stopped supporting the CLIENT SOFTWARE that runs on mobile devices 2 years ago. What is it you want from Windows Phone, that Microsoft takes it upon themselves to create a client for a technology that hardly anyone uses anymore and that the makers of said technology have abandoned? That would be idiotic.

Yes, some "desktop websites" still use Flash, although fewer and fewer do. But desktop sites are not really viewed by most mobile users, and even desktop sites now create layouts that work both on desktop and mobile, if they don't develop an outright mobile site. Flash is dead.
    link68759 likes this.
    12-17-2013 02:49 PM
    *flush*
    hopmedic likes this.
    12-17-2013 06:09 PM