[rumor] Microsoft offered Samsung 1billion to use wp8

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Stupid move. They should keep pushing Nokia rather than asking for Samsung crap. Personally I don't want Samsung flooding the WP market with their poor build quality products. Plus knowing Samsung they'll layer in their horrid Touchwiz.. Ugh

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Stupid move. They should keep pushing Nokia rather than asking for Samsung crap. Personally I don't want Samsung flooding the WP market with their poor build quality products. Plus knowing Samsung they'll layer in their horrid Touchwiz.. Ugh

Maybe read the other posts before commenting? The person who started the rumour is a known Nokia/MS troll who shouldn't be listened to and given no credibility at all.

Also, um, MS owns Nokia phone division now... or did you miss the news?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Maybe read the other posts before commenting? The person who started the rumour is a known Nokia/MS troll who shouldn't be listened to and given no credibility at all.

Also, um, MS owns Nokia phone division now... or did you miss the news?

Maybe that's why I said MS should keep pushing Nokia? You should take your own advice about reading before commenting. He may have made a mistake or two with prior predictions but he was also right about MS taking over Nokia even if his time frame was off. While he may be wrong suggesting that MS will ditch the Metro UI altogether, there's probably some truth to that as well.

Plus MS may actually have a self defeating strategy in place to promote brands like Galaxy for WP, it wouldn't be the first time they did something stupid.

Last edited:

DBZo07

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Then there will be news...

Google offered 10B to Nokia and then Nokia comes with android..
Lol.. Jokes everywhere..

Sent via tapatalk

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Maybe that's why I said MS should keep pushing Nokia? You should take your own advice about reading before commenting. He may have made a mistake or two with prior predictions but he was also right about MS taking over Nokia even if his time frame was off. While he may be wrong suggesting that MS will ditch the Metro UI altogether, there's probably some truth to that as well.

Why do I bother sometimes...

MS owns Nokia now, so using the term 'pushing Nokia' makes no sense whatsoever. They're going to manufacture their own phones and I don't expect the Nokia name in phones to exist for much longer along with the Lumia name. We might see 2-3 years more of it but I doubt much more than that. As for pushing their own phones, yeah I can see that happening but also having other OEMs on board makes sense.

As for the troll read this: Stopping the rumor mill: Windows Phone and the future of its unique UI | Windows Phone Central

He's not been 'right' about much. He's been lucky. He's a troll, let's stop giving him any credit.

To add to that, I highly doubt that MS would spend the millions they have on Metro just to scrap it. That makes zero sense. They're going to keep pushing and improving the Metro interface but it won't be scraped any time soon. So let's end it there. No one knows the future.

Plus MS may actually have a self defeating strategy in place to promote brands like Galaxy for WP, it wouldn't be the first time they did something stupid.

That would be incredibly stupid. Why buy a phone unit just to kill it?

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Why do I bother sometimes...

MS owns Nokia now, so using the term 'pushing Nokia' makes no sense whatsoever. They're going to manufacture their own phones and I don't expect the Nokia name in phones to exist for much longer along with the Lumia name. We might see 2-3 years more of it but I doubt much more than that. As for pushing their own phones, yeah I can see that happening but also having other OEMs on board makes sense.

Then it'd be idiotic for thinking MS wouldn't keep the Nokia branding. Having other OEMs on board doesn't make any sense, this isn't Android nor should it strive to be. MS doesn't have a competitive ad based platform like Google does (which keeps Android free) and can't depend on that sort of business model--even Ballmer knows its nearly impossible to emulate. Plus there's also the problem of WP not being open source like Android so there's even less reason to have a myriad of manufacturers that are all using the same underlying software with just some minor hardware differences.

As for the troll read this: Stopping the rumor mill: Windows Phone and the future of its unique UI | Windows Phone Central

He's not been 'right' about much. He's been lucky. He's a troll, let's stop giving him any credit.

To add to that, I highly doubt that MS would spend the millions they have on Metro just to scrap it. That makes zero sense. They're going to keep pushing and improving the Metro interface but it won't be scraped any time soon. So let's end it there. No one knows the future.

That would be incredibly stupid. Why buy a phone unit just to kill it?

Yes it would be stupid to kill Metro UI since IMO it is the best interface out there for smartphones but not their desktop. MS is focused on convergence between tablets, desktop and phones and they have unsuccessfully tried pushing Metro to pull that off. The backlash against the desktop Windows 8 is proof of that fact. So they may very well be considering an alternative UI to take its place that resembles something more like what Android uses or perhaps even a hybrid. So while I think it's fine the way it is for phones, it is terrible on the desktop.

With regards to the "troll", he certainly has made plenty of errors and we all have more than enough reason to doubt him. However, I wouldn't take MS's word for it either because it wouldn't be in their interest to reveal plans for a major change like that - it would pretty much kill WP sales.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Then it'd be idiotic for thinking MS wouldn't keep the Nokia branding. Having other OEMs on board doesn't make any sense, this isn't Android nor should it strive to be. MS doesn't have a competitive ad based platform like Google does (which keeps Android free) and can't depend on that sort of business model--even Ballmer knows its nearly impossible to emulate. Plus there's also the problem of WP not being open source like Android so there's even less reason to have a myriad of manufacturers that are all using the same underlying software with just some minor hardware differences.

WP wasn't meant to be like Android, so drop the comparison to Google and Android. Also Android isn't 'free' in any sense, that's a perpetuate myth. Ever since Google has owned it, it costs you more than you think. MS has the rights to the Nokia name and Lumia for 10 years but I highly doubt they'll use it that long. I have a bit of experience with company take overs so I'm not talking out of my *** here.

Having other OEMs on board makes lots of sense. Just because it's not Android doesn't mean it's not viable. Also it would appear that WP8.1 will take care of some of the issues surrounding hardware so it may become very viable for other OEMs.

Yes it would be stupid to kill Metro UI since IMO it is the best interface out there for smartphones but not their desktop. MS is focused on convergence between tablets, desktop and phones and they have unsuccessfully tried pushing Metro to pull that off. The backlash against the desktop Windows 8 is proof of that fact. So they may very well be considering an alternative UI to take its place that resembles something more like what Android uses or perhaps even a hybrid. So while I think it's fine the way it is for phones, it is terrible on the desktop.

People are adverse to change. I personally like the Metro interface on desktop, phone and tablet. I personally hated the Start menu and was glad to see it gone. I'd personally like to see a complete Metro interface for desktop myself. Get rid of the 'desktop' all together, or kept for certain special occasions. A few more updates and I think Metro will work with well with Windows. Give it time. It's still new.

I don't think WP will ever look like Android and I don't see it happening. Why would they do that?

With regards to the "troll", he certainly has made plenty of errors and we all have more than enough reason to doubt him. However, I wouldn't take MS's word for it either because it wouldn't be in their interest to reveal plans for a major change like that - it would pretty much kill WP sales.

I will doubt him as he has a well known vendetta against both Nokia and MS now. I won't take him seriously as there's no reason to. If MS is working with Samsung to get more WP out there, then great, it's all the better for WP. However, I doubt it would be that kind of money. I could see more like a concession of the license fee or something like that.

As for MS future plans, we all know they're very quiet about it. Hell they manage to manufacture a tablet without leaking it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Isnt its pathetic, thats huge, yeah i know its their money, but its like they are begging oems to use their OS, and i am losing my pride holding my wp8, what if theybcould just use,the 1billion to improve their wp8. ? So that everyone will like it

I will take the minority side here: No, I do not find it to be bad business. It is what Nokia was getting each year to develop WP, and they single handedly got WP's marketshare to 10% or better in countries where the Nokia name carried wieght. One of the major downsides to the purchase of Nokia's handset division by MS is that the Nokia name is about to be lost. That brand name was respected and drove sales.

Samsung's name does the same. It is respected and drives a certain group of purchasers to look at handsets jusy because of that brand. If Sammy is recieving big bucks to develop WP, they are not risking much actually promoting it. Increased sales puts money in their pocket, and down the road an ATIV line may stand happily next to their Galaxy line as a true source of income.

I think it is a great move. I hope it happens.

But, as Palandri pointed out, the source is the "National Enquirer" of the tech world who brags for 2 years when he gets one out of 50 predictions right.

Grain of salt. A whole shaker of it.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will make a whole range of WP8 devices and advertise them as well as the galaxy's. I think on the gs5 and gn4, there will be a dual boot OS mode, a windows mode and the regular android.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
But, as Palandri pointed out, the source is the "National Enquirer" of the tech world who brags for 2 years when he gets one out of 50 predictions right.

Grain of salt. A whole shaker of it.

^This.

Brand name matters and I can see MSFT making some inroads in Asia if Samsung made a real attempt with Windows Phone. But Samsung build quality is complete garbage when compared to Nokia. My biggest complaint with Nokia is the flimsy microUSB port on my Lumia 900 that has begun to flake out. But the rest of the phone is solid. If you pick up the Nokia 1520 and then pick up the Galaxy Note 3 there is no comparison. It's nice that the Galaxy Note has a consumer serviceable battery but the flimsy back is just begging to fall off that $300+ phone! For $300 the device should be solid.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ugh do we really need Samsung on windows phone side. Their Cheap products are horrible and overrated in my opinion.

I would rather Microsoft pay that to HTC or even zte or LG.

But it's currently the hottest alternative to the iPhone, so having Samsung on WP's side could be a big boost for WP, especially if Samsung uses their existing Galaxy hardware. Of course, since Microsoft doesn't support OEMs slapping on every single feature they want to, they might be a difficult port...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
^This.

Brand name matters and I can see MSFT making some inroads in Asia if Samsung made a real attempt with Windows Phone. But Samsung build quality is complete garbage when compared to Nokia. My biggest complaint with Nokia is the flimsy microUSB port on my Lumia 900 that has begun to flake out. But the rest of the phone is solid. If you pick up the Nokia 1520 and then pick up the Galaxy Note 3 there is no comparison. It's nice that the Galaxy Note has a consumer serviceable battery but the flimsy back is just begging to fall off that $300+ phone! For $300 the device should be solid.

Considering that the Note 3 by itself outsells all Windows Phones together, I wouldn't be quite so quick to criticize. The cheap build may be your opinion, but 10 million of the Note 3's were sold in the first 60 days after release. Even if they are cheaply built, they sell well.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Like people are saying, that money could be used on much better ideas. I don't think MS is that desperate for Samsung to be right on board fully with windows phone, considering windows phone is now taking off, that with 1520 and 8.1, its only going to attract more customers. It would make sense if it was the other way round and WP was going no where.
One thing I am looking forward to is rather than Samsung properly getting on board with WP, I can't wait for Sony to bring out a windows phone. Love the design and quality of the hardware, second to Nokia in my opinion, only Sony said they would only make a windows phone when the market was ready for them to become mainstream.

On a side note, relating to this blogger, didn't he used to work for phone arena ? Like 4 years ago? I may be mistaken.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I get WHY they would be doing it (although I don't trust the source as far as I can throw him) since Samsung has the brand recognition that Nokia has when it comes to emerging market, which is where the growth is.

Also @5150 joker, to your point of "why would an OEM bother to make a phone where the only difference is hardware and only small software differences", well I would like to introduce you to the largest OS in history, Windows. Ever since Windows existed, that has literally been the point of Windows. Take Windows 7, every single copy of Windows 7 Home Premium is almost 100% the same across OEMs, with bloatware (and in WP's case, this "bloatware" such as the Nokia Camera doesn't mean that all bloatware is bad) being the exception. Its a very effective strategy.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

iOS Gravity

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I would never believe this. Microsoft wouldn't go bribing companies to do something like that. Samsung wouldn't even take the money since the Galaxy line is popular and they already make a lot of money.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Considering that the Note 3 by itself outsells all Windows Phones together, I wouldn't be quite so quick to criticize. The cheap build may be your opinion, but 10 million of the Note 3's were sold in the first 60 days after release. Even if they are cheaply built, they sell well.

You are absolutely right. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought Samsung or the Note serious were unsuccessful. I am aware that Samsung created the phablet space all by itself inspite of naysayers calling the original Note ridiculous. But I am also pointing out that there are pros and cons to Samsung. Even if Samsung were to make a Windows Phone version of all their top selling devices how much of an impact do you think that will have in the US? I already acknowledged that it might help in Asia but I don't know how much of the delay in uptake of windows phone is due to hardware. The Lumia 1520 now pretty much has all the hardware the Note has save for the stylus and it is much cheaper... or at least was.

As it currently stands if you don't want to buy an iphone but you are still obsessed with having a billion apps Android is the only game in town. And Samsung is the biggest Android manufacturer. Samsung is at the top of the Android heap. But will it be at the top of the Windows Phone heap? How many Windows Phone Note 3s do you think they can shift for $299 in an eco system where the Lumia 1520 can be had for $99? Do people really want a stylus so bad they will take abysmal build quality and pay $100-$200 more for a Note 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)