[rumor] Microsoft offered Samsung 1billion to use wp8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I always wanted a Sony Xperia Z with WP8... but like the Nokia Lumia with Android, is just a pipe dream.

For me, the only acceptable Android OEM's are Sony, HTC and with some degree the new Motorola.

and that is part of the risk as well. HTC took what they learned from Windows Phone and used it to make the HTC One. HTCs Android offering is better for it, and it didn't really help WP in the end.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Actually that would not be a bad idea for Samsung. It would give them a little more protection from Goggle doing something alien with Android. But then they already make WP phones so whats the big deal. You know dang good and well they would never give up Android to push only WP. But doing both would not hurt Samsung at all. It would give them access to customers that perfer WP. Hell what do they have to lose. Think Microsoft paying them is a little far fetched.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah... I'm calling B.S. on this one. Microsoft doesn't need Samsung. Period.

Not sure if this is true. Can MS be an "Apple" type of manufacturer? Can they push WP into the worldwide buying concious where it isn't selling well, and continue it's growth where it has taken off?

Will they be able to keep all of Nokia's engineers, thinkers, and designers after the purchase? Can they maximize the logistics and supply chains? Can they improve the logistics and supply chains?

Do we, as WP users, want all our eggs in the MS basket? With Nokia as a partner, we saw amazing growth and forward thinking. As a part of MS, are we sure 2 years from now that driving force won't have just become a part of the MS machine, and just be mediocre?

I want other OEM's onboard. I would love to think that this merger will be amazing, and that Nokia's driving influence sparks MS to higher growth and amazing products. I really do. But if we keep HTC, Samsung, Huawei, and a few others in the fold we may end up seeing better support/products from them in a few years.

I would hate to have to leave WP just due to poor hardware choices and MS not capitalizing on this purchase.

Worst case scenario, I know. But just ask BlackBerry and Palm how those turn out from time to time.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be wise to focus to Your strongest asset which currently Nokia instead of trying to bribe Samsung into doing something worthwhile. If Microsoft would update windows phone properly as well have better flagship devices....that billion can go towards marketing.

Samsung is not the best android phone by any means, imo. I would go with nearly any manufacturer besides Samsung and their windows phones are even worse. But Samsung has a great marketing campaign and Microsoft and Nokia need to capitalize on that and make their own campaign.

Motorola did it with Droid. Tmobile had a very successful campaign with the T-Mobile girl.
I do hope this is not true because that billion dollars could be much better spent.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
MS owns Nokia now...
False.

The sale has not happened. Nokia's stockholders have approved the sale, US authorities have approved it, EU authorities have approved it, but that does not mean Microsoft owns Nokia. The sale of the devices division of Nokia is expected to happen in Q1 2014. But even then, Microsoft will not own Nokia. Nokia will continue to exist as its own entity with all of its other product lines intact.

Let's battle the obviously false rumors, but let's not do it with misinformation.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter who makes Windows Phones. The problem is the OS, and Microsoft's insulting "We know better than you..." hubris. It's been three years, and if Nokia hadn't finally gone after the low end market, Windows Phone would hardly sell at all. Consumers have voted with their wallets. The majority of people just don't like the OS. The members of this forum in no way represents the general public. Beside myself, I know three people who own a Windows Phone. One bought it because it was a cheap Gophone, and the others, like myself, were curious. None of us will be buying another for the same reasons we've all heard a thousand times, so I won't bother repeating them in detail (volume controls, start screen organization, lack of apps, gapless playback, VPN, dialer app organization, etc.)

Microsoft needs to get off their asses and stop taking so long with updates and features, and actually listen to the complaints. 8.1 which will remedy some of these issues won't be here until April 2014.

The other major problem is that they named the thing "Windows Phone." Microsoft is under the delusion that the "Windows" brand is gold with the general public, when the exact opposite is true. Yes, Microsoft has vastly improved security in Windows, but most people over 25 still associate the name with viruses and blue screens. Sad, but true. "Surface" would have been a good name, but Microsoft has ruined that brand through stupidity, arrogance, and incompetence like they did with Kin and Zune.

What's going to happen is Microsoft is going to "dog food" (look it up) Nokia, which means firing or demoting all the Nokia department heads, then installing Microsoft stooges. Look up what happened to Danger and The Kin the last time this happened. There's a reason Roz Ho was banished to Siberia, and you can't find anything about her from Microsoft.

Anyway, enough with the rambling, and with Microsoft's colossal blundering. It's like they want to fail. I'm not interested in being chained to Apple's obscene markups and iTunes store, so it's back to Android, I guess. I hear 4.4 is finally at iOS quality.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter who makes Windows Phones. The problem is the OS, and Microsoft's insulting "We know better than you..." hubris. It's been three years, and if Nokia hadn't finally gone after the low end market, Windows Phone would hardly sell at all. Consumers have voted with their wallets. The majority of people just don't like the OS. The members of this forum in no way represents the general public. Beside myself, I know three people who own a Windows Phone. One bought it because it was a cheap Gophone, and the others, like myself, were curious. None of us will be buying another for the same reasons we've all heard a thousand times, so I won't bother repeating them in detail (volume controls, start screen organization, lack of apps, gapless playback, VPN, dialer app organization, etc.)

Microsoft needs to get off their asses and stop taking so long with updates and features, and actually listen to the complaints. 8.1 which will remedy some of these issues won't be here until April 2014.

The other major problem is that they named the thing "Windows Phone." Microsoft is under the delusion that the "Windows" brand is gold with the general public, when the exact opposite is true. Yes, Microsoft has vastly improved security in Windows, but most people over 25 still associate the name with viruses and blue screens. Sad, but true. "Surface" would have been a good name, but Microsoft has ruined that brand through stupidity, arrogance, and incompetence like they did with Kin and Zune.

What's going to happen is Microsoft is going to "dog food" (look it up) Nokia, which means firing or demoting all the Nokia department heads, then installing Microsoft stooges. Look up what happened to Danger and The Kin the last time this happened. There's a reason Roz Ho was banished to Siberia, and you can't find anything about her from Microsoft.

Anyway, enough with the rambling, and with Microsoft's colossal blundering. It's like they want to fail. I'm not interested in being chained to Apple's obscene markups and iTunes store, so it's back to Android, I guess. I hear 4.4 is finally at iOS quality.

I guess you don't like Apple's "We know better than you..." hubris, either...

So if you hate WP so much, why in the world do you waste your time here??

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
1 billion was enuff to buy htc and black berry. They could have literally flooded market with wp

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
None of us will be buying another for the same reasons we've all heard a thousand times, so I won't bother repeating them in detail (volume controls, start screen organization, lack of apps, gapless playback, VPN, dialer app organization, etc.)

This is almost completely total rubbish. I don't think I know a single person who knows what VPN is let alone uses it. And if the rumor mill on this website is correct VPN and expanded volume controls will be arriving in a matter of months.

And what is the beef with the dialer app? I press the dialer and it brings up my call history. I then press whichever number I need to call. I rarely go into my address book or use the manual number dialer because I call the same people over and over again.

The problem is my parents went to at&t to get their first smartphones. They were sold Android phones. You could have put any phone with a decent size screen in their hands (ie not an iphone) and they would have said okay, but they were railroaded into Android till I rescued them. That scene is repeated over and over again across America. In Great Britain and France Windows Phone has double digit market share. Do you think the discrepancy is because Americans dial their phones differently or use VPN a lot more? at&t is not pushing Windows Phone. Their sales people don't research it and tell people honest facts about it. I set up a basic start screen with large live tiles for my parents so they can easily do the basic functions. Compared to Android Windows Phone with a little customization is just a simpler smoother interface for them.

I don't know what all the problems are with Windows Phone sales but I know lack of VPN ain't it.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
It's their money, if Samsung made a full line of Galaxy WP phones it would change everything for WP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Came here to post the same thing. If they just released a line of Galaxy SW phones, it would sell much better than their ATIV series.

JKing106

Banned
Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sell because most people don't like it. The sales numbers don't lie. And units shipped don't equal units sold. It's not from lack of advertising either, I see at least one commercial a day. What does the commercial focus on? The camera...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia makes far better hardware than Samsung or LG. This is based on Samsung flip phones, Samsung Galaxy, LG Nexus 4. I like HTC hardware and Nokia the best so far. Microsoft is better off letting its new phone division (read NOKIA) doing what it does best and convincing the billion people outside USA to use WP. Why buy a low spec Android or even a Moto G when for a bit lower price you can get an expandable memory Lumia 520 or its new variants which perform really really well?

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sell because most people don't like it. The sales numbers don't lie. And units shipped don't equal units sold. It's not from lack of advertising either, I see at least one commercial a day. What does the commercial focus on? The camera...
Thats oversimplifying it.. There are other reasons why things don't sell well other than "people don't like it". Do Apple comes not sell well because people don't like them? No. Its because they are expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)