File Manager ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys was looking at the suggestions, forums and comments about WP8 not having a file manager. I mean like is it really a need to have a file manager?

No it's not :wink: (disclaimer: at least not in the sense of what the term "file manager" usually refers to, as used on Windows or Android devices)

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I need it, cause in one app I download some movies and they are in phone but I want to transfer it on my computer to watch it.
for now that is impossible

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I need it, cause in one app I download some movies and they are in phone but I want to transfer it on my computer to watch it.
for now that is impossible

So download them with GetThemAll or UC Browser. I've been doing it like that for like 6 months or so. GTA will pull ANYTHING media.. Just saying!!

vishalbswami

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I also don't want file manager but some folders should be there like if i download any video through mytube it should go to video + music folder . In wp we depend on
that app from which we download the content , we cant uninstall them if we need that content.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I can understand people who doesn't need a file manager so doesn't care about its implementation... but I really don't understand people that are against it.
Why do you want to impose your lifestyle to others?

Ssrki

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
No, you don't understand me. I allready downloaded video with flash videos app, and now want to transfer it to my computer

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I can understand people who doesn't need a file manager so doesn't care about its implementation... but I really don't understand people that are against it.

MS is so frugal with updates that I'd rather they focus their efforts on more important features.

Moreover, if MS caves to unnecessary feature requests like this one, then people will say, "you implemented a file manager, I don't see why you aren't listening to what I want! bouncing boobs on my lock screen! Android has it!"

Finally, a file manager beyond what options already exist in the app store is a security risk that should never happen. Earlier in this thread I posted a solution that would solve more problems than a file manager could solve. You do not need a file manager, but changes do need to be made. Read my post earlier in this thread.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

What I don't understand is how a file manager is a lifestyle choice!!?!

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
What I don't understand is how a file manager is a lifestyle choice!!?!
'Lifestyle' with the meaning of "how someone is used to use something".
I'm used to use my smartphone as a PDA, managing and editing files sometimes. This is why I miss a file manager and I NEED IT

Last edited by a moderator:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
'Lifestyle' with the meaning of "how someone is used to use something".
I'm used to use my smartphone as a PDA, managing and editing files sometimes. This is why I miss a file manager .

Then that's not a Lifestyle thing, is it. It's an opinion of how something should be used. If it was a lifestyle thing then it works both ways, why are those of you who want a file manager imposing your lifestyle on those of us who don't want it?

Personally I don't care if, when or how they implement it, I can use my phone just fine without it. I've made my feelings clear on this matter in the past and posted a possible solution in this thread!!

Last edited by a moderator:

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Thanks for the info. In my case, ringtone is all I want though. :)

If all your looking for is just ringtones, try Myxer, its really cool to just browse and find cool tones. But, for an awesome music experience AudioCloud. It links superbly yo your Soundcloud account. You can find tracks, songs, mixes and edit the parts you want for your ringtone..

Just sayin..

Good luck!!

John Kline Kurtz

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
I would love to have a file manager on my windows phone 8. Here are a couple of thoughts:
1. I like folders! I've been groomed by 25 years of using UNIX, Windows, Mac OS X, and just about any other operating system that I might have touched along the way to have a folder structure at least in part for my own usage. Even if you were not an admin, you got your own local space to make folders when you wanted. I want to make folders on my windows phone. I just want folders for my photos/docs/music/audio/video and other media types so that I can organize them how I like. I want Apps that allow you to focus on one folder at a time and deal with the files there. Nothing is more frustrating to me than putting some music on my phone in folders via Windows and a usb cable, and then having the stupid App lump them all in one big playlist.
2. Sometimes you want to operate on deleting or copying files in a more concise and selective way than using the provided app's interface.
3. It does no harm for Microsoft to provide a simple interface for the general user to use, but also provide the OPTION for those who want to have a File Manager to use one

John

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
No, you don't understand me. I allready downloaded video with flash videos app, and now want to transfer it to my computer

With Flash Videos?

Really??

Really??

Dude!!!!!!!

This is one of the very first apps that I ever bought. I love it!! There are video tutorials IN THE APP to show you how.. I follow it to a tee. XLight Server and everything. I pull movies and shows all the time, then I transfer. Swipe until you see help, then tap on "video tutorials". Watch the ones about transferring files.

Goodness gracious.

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I had a post deleted. I cannot post in a forum where MODs randomly delete posts.
Continue discussing how lovely your WP is and how it doesn't need any change because it's already perfect, or your opinion will be censured here.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Thanks for the info. In my case, ringtone is all I want though. :)

I have, in total complete honesty, never had an issue in any regard to file management problems. This includes getting files from the web onto my phone, transferring them to my PC. Taking files directly off my PC and shipping them off. I've pulled music, movies, zips, rars, exes, dlls, 7zes, straight up high end installation packages. 8X to XP (now W7). DONE!!

There is and are workarounds for EVERYTHING!! True, the methodology can be, at times, inconvenient. However, tools do exist to make the magic.

P.s. This isn't so much directed towards you, but more as a general type thing..

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I had a post deleted. I cannot post in a forum where MODs randomly delete posts.
Continue discussing how lovely your WP is and how it doesn't need any change because it's already perfect, or your opinion will be censured here.

Your post was deleted because it was a personal attack/insult telling someone they didn't need to post here anymore. Not because you would like a file manager. Keep it to that and there won't be a problem.

[WARN]Personal Attacks or Insults to Members - Constructive discussions, debates and free speech are encouraged in the forums. However, it is not constructive to either criticize or insult another member because their opinion differs from yours. Consider the tone of your posts before pressing the submit button. If your are irritated by a post, thread, question, or topic; you are in no way obligated to respond and are encouraged to move along to another thread.

[/WARN]

Also your other post was edited because you were trying to bypass the profanity filter. Nothing more.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site

Well my 8X is the t!Ts... Is it perfect? No.... It took a good amount of time for me to learn how to make my WP7x/8 to work and have some/a lot of the features & functionality that existed back when I had a WM6.5. Now that was truly a "Pocket PC"!!!! I sometimes miss the ease I could do certain things (which might take 3 to 4 extra steps now) but I don't miss having to manage tasks, worry about malware, constantly monitor performance, troubleshoot lag issues, etc.

And here is where I start to ramble:

I think that if MS would allow a user sandbox that would allow downloads from IE and easy file transfer to music/picture/ringtone/video hub (and ONLY into those on the device) or from said sandbox out to the PC, people would just stop crying.. I mean, I guess you could say that that's a file manager, maybe just a "user toy box". Which is funny to me, because UC Browser lets you download stuff then pop it into the music hub just by changing the file extension to an mp3, which you change after you connect your USB.

But, like I said, I figured all this stuff out a LONG time ago. I learned how to use all these manipulations before WP8 when I ran with my Radar.

I guess I just spent time to make the tools available work for me instead of whining. But then, I'll build a bridge out of duct tape, 2 sticks, a hanger and a beer can.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Then that's not a Lifestyle thing, is it. It's an opinion of how something should be used. If it was a lifestyle thing then it works both ways, why are those of you who want a file manager imposing your lifestyle on those of us who don't want it?

Personally I don't care if, when or how they implement it, I can use my phone just fine without it. I've made my feelings clear on this matter in the past and posted a possible solution in this thread!!

If your phone had a file manager on it you would not have to use it, but it would be available for those who want to. Its like text messaging to me I don't use it or like it, but I don't think they should have remove it from every phone because I don't need it. WOW

I wish there were a lot of things on the O/S which gave us more control of the O/S to manage it and take care of it. I think it's the term choices vs fully automated which we now have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05