How to remove data sense?

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if there is a way to remove data sense from your phone. As it is not a conventional app from the wpstore, it cannot be removed as most apps (holding down the icon and selecting uninstall).

Any ideas on how I can delete Data Sense from my phone (Lumia 920)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
shocked-baby-o.gif

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
When disabled, data sense doesn't "use resources," as you say. Even when enabled, it is very inconsequential because what it does is very simple. As for freeing up storage space; data sense is an inherent part of Windows Phone 8, just as Office 2013 and Internet Explorer are. Some carriers disable data sense, but it isn't removed. You can't uninstall it, and the framework for data sense is present in every version of WP8.

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Wow, I had no idea that anybody might not want Data Sense. I had to flash my ROM to get Data Sense on my 920, but my wife and kids are afraid to do likewise, so we'll probably end up switching carriers. AT&T has an idiotic policy, as they are losing customers for stripping out this critical part of the OS. Since unbranding my phone and subsequently getting access to Data Sense, the stability and battery life of my phone has actually improved, so any resource usage by Data Sense is apparently quite small and done efficiently (as it should be, since it's baked into the OS).

If you really don't want Data Sense, perhaps the best option would be to work a trade with one of the many 920 owners who want Data Sense, but cannot get it on their phones.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You could try setting date to 2051.
I did that on my phone to get rid of a settings app that didn't work on my phone
I installed an HTC app Beats AUDIO on a Lumia and it looked cool but it did nothing ( no Beats Audio duh !) and I couldn't delete it because it was a systems app.
Changing date out that far then opening up Beats Audio in settings gave me the option to delete it. Why it worked ? I have no idea but it did.

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You could try setting date to 2051.
I did that on my phone to get rid of a settings app that didn't work on my phone
I installed an HTC app Beats AUDIO on a Lumia and it looked cool but it did nothing ( no Beats Audio duh !) and I couldn't delete it because it was a systems app.
Changing date out that far then opening up Beats Audio in settings gave me the option to delete it. Why it worked ? I have no idea but it did.

Thanks for the creative idea! I set the year to 3000 but didn't work for data sense.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
That's because Data Sense is a part of the operating system, not a standalone app. It can't be uninstalled. Period.

Setting the date far into the future and attempting to open apps causes them to uninstall because their license is only valid for a certain period of time. I believe 2200 is far enough to make anything that isn't a part of the OS uninstall.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
That's because Data Sense is a part of the operating system, not a standalone app. It can't be uninstalled. Period.

Setting the date far into the future and attempting to open apps causes them to uninstall because their license is only valid for a certain period of time. I believe 2200 is far enough to make anything that isn't a part of the OS uninstall.

I agree but Beats Audio isn't a stand alone app it's a systems app it gravitated to systems and you can't pin it to the start screen and it can't be removed (or couldn't) by tapping it and "uninstalling" it. Oh well he tried. By the way by 2020 Beats Audio still has a valid license :wink: Maybe 2021 was the magic date but I used 2051 and the world as we know it is gone and so is Beat Audio.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree but Beats Audio isn't a stand alone app it's a systems app it gravitated to systems and you can't pin it to the start screen and it can't be removed (or couldn't) by tapping it and "uninstalling" it. Oh well he tried. By the way by 2020 Beats Audio still has a valid license :wink: Maybe 2021 was the magic date but I used 2051 and the world as we know it is gone and so is Beat Audio.

It might be installed as a system app but it's still standalone as it's not integrated into the OS unlike datasense, you had to install beats audio manually.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
It might be installed as a system app but it's still standalone as it's not integrated into the OS unlike datasense, you had to install beats audio manually.
Yes and it's wasn't a tile you could pin to the start screen or delete unless you pushed the date out it and yes it wasn't integrated into the OS like data sense :smile:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I never thought I would see this question asked.
Ever.

Now anyways, don't bother, it hardly uses anything and just set it to Unlimited if it bothers you.
Now if you REALLY HATE seeing that icon in the app list, then we really can't do anything for you other than switching to AT&T.

Its built-in, so removing it isn't an option, even if it was installable, removing it would hardly change anything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fopaky