Why apps need 1GB RAM in WP when it can run on 512MB on other OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I've said this multiple times, I'll say it again

It all depends on the game engine that the game is using. Some game engines optimize great for devices with little RAM, but some aren't and use up quite some RAM.
It seems likely that the game engine that most games like Subway Surfers are using doesn't have a WP version, which forces them to use an alternative.
The alternative is the one that optimizes the game poorly for 512MB devices. Just be happy that at least the game is in the Store and it won't be long before devices with 512MB RAM will receive it. Be grateful. I've never seen so much ignorance in this forum at all. Be lucky that you have the game, and they confirmed that they're working on a 512MB version.

So, you are saying that We are lucky that WP8 got these apps.
Sorry but I do not feel as low as you think about WP.
and I'll be only grateful when I'll get that otherwise it is as good as nothing.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Why do apps need initially 1 GB ram?

After that they will be optimising it. You see, on Android everything can mostly run. That means both fluidly and in slideshows. WP does NOT allow that. If something will run on WP, then that will run flawlessly.

Also, GDR3 lessened app requirements for 512 MB devices a bit. Most developers WILL optimise their apps eventually. Unfortunately, some games just won't be able to run fluidly on 512 MB no matter what, so then the developers won't make the apps available at all.

LOL!
Have you checked Temple Run on 512MB WP devices. It crashes more than any other game. and hiccups you don't even think about it.
You are totally wrong about this. It's just an excuse to cover this delay.

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
LOL!
Have you checked Temple Run on 512MB WP devices. It crashes more than any other game. and hiccups you don't even think about it.
You are totally wrong about this. It's just an excuse to cover this delay.

Like I said :3 If you don't like it, then sell it and aboard to other platform. This's just a phone, not a part of your body, why's it so hard to make a decision? No one points a gun behind your back to force you to keep using WP while you surely don't like it :) And you, for what I read, don't like to wait for it too. Then don't hesitate and buy an Android or an iPhone :D

Just take it easy and keep living :)

ANW, thanks for the informing you gave us about your opinion of WP8 :)

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Like I said :3 If you don't like it, then sell it and aboard to other platform. This's just a phone, not a part of your body, why's it so hard to make a decision? No one points a gun behind your back to force you to keep using WP while you surely don't like it :) And you, for what I read, don't like to wait for it too. Then don't hesitate and buy an Android or an iPhone :D

Just take it easy and keep living :)

ANW, thanks for the informing you gave us about your opinion of WP8 :)

This is not the answer of my question. Read the topic again .

and I am just disappointed here . I'll shift whenever I feel that their is no hope for me in WP, you don't have to tell me that.
and if you don't have answer then my humble request to you please stay silent.

Last edited:

Dratwister

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
This is not the answer of my question. Read the topic again .

and I am just disappointed here . I'll shift whenever I feel that their is no hope for me in WP, you don't have to tell me that.
and if you don't have answer then my humble request to you please stay silent.

Everyone here gave you the answer of why apps need 1GB RAM when it can run 512MB on other OS. Didn't you get it?
Which part in all answers here doesn't satisfy you? Please just say it and we'll try to explain :) again.

Or you really did get it, but still don't want to leave it like that and demand to point your question to another aspect such as how immature WP8 currently is?

P.S: I didn't force you to leave WP either :) Just suggest you to do so since you don't seem to like the answers here and trying to keep blaming the OS while leaving the developers out of question. Why do you have to keep yourself suffer so much with such immature OS that cannot run the game you like?

But if you still love WP, and want to watch it grow up without sacrifice too many favorite games or apps, then the 525 with 1GB can be a great and cheap replacement for you to test.
Just saying :) again

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
As we know Subway Surfer arrives on WP but it need 1GB RAM (for now).
first was Temble Run, now Subway Surfer (I am only picking the popular ones here)

Is less numbers of apps and late coming apps on WP isn't enough that now this problem start.
I mean is their some kind of problem with WP or what.

This problem in WP seriously pissing me off.:angry:
Aren't you guys thought that we adopt WP too early when it is pre-mature and having features and apps problem? :unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat::unhappysweat:
Hey, I've checked into your problem, and can't tell if you're trolling or not.
If you know it's not Microsoft's/Nokia's/Samsung's/HTC's/Huawei's/(Any Windoes Phone OEM)'s fault, then why bother keep asking for an app to be optimized for your cheap phone?
Now, I'm not saying people with 512mb RAM devices should just stay out of the new apps offer, but you really can't expect much else.
Why if you know it's the developer's fault don't you go and complain to their customer support? This is no place to complain because one developer decided to release the 1gb RAM versi?n first, or about the OS. Go to Facebook or those guys-who-created-temple-run's webpage.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This has been discussed to death. The fancy NT kernel does not come down to WP without sacrifices. The OS alone takes about 230MB of memory. WP7 is half of that. So when you buy a 512MB phone, only half of that is available to system app and 3rd party app. When you buy a 1GB phone you get significantly more space.

Back in WP7 days, low end phones are 256MB and most games and apps has to be optimized in order to run properly on 256MB phones. The 512MB phone in WP8 is in the same position as 256MB phone.

You just don't expect a low end phone to run all the apps. It is up to app dev to optimized the apps to fit within requirements.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
@Dratwister, @ArthJar and @foxbat121
Thanks of your answers and suggestion.

Next time I'll make sure that I'll buy a high end phone. But before I want to make sure that when I buy a 1GB RAM devices phone then it doesn't require atleast 2GB RAM that time for these small games.
I don't want any top notch game like Real Racing, Halo etc, I am talking about some simple games here 30mb to 40mb. which runs on other OS even on 512MB RAM.
and @@foxbat121 you said " It is up to app dev to optimized the apps to fit within requirements."
It's actually WP fault for this app/games problem the same way we blame Android for it's security. Do Android make virus ...no but everyone is responsible for it's own OS problems. Even though they are not directly responsible for that.

Guys one more thing
Temple Run 2 also release and it also require 1GB RAM(which is not surprising since this is the way WP app system works)

I read in the end of article ( The wait is over - Temple Run 2 hits the Windows Phone Store with Xbox Live | Windows Phone Central )
"Microsoft's Joe Belfiore just confirmed that 512 MB support is coming in a future update"

is Joe Belfiore is involved in developing this apps?

Last edited:

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
If people think developers (with no passion for WP) are going to spend 'more time' on optimizing their apps beyond the minimum required amount of work, they're mistaken. This won't happen until Microsoft commands serious market share and a large user base, sorry. Until then we can relish in the fact that the next-gen Lumia 5xx phone (i.e. Lumia 525) has 1GB of RAM and that 1GB RAM is likely going to be the base minimum for Windows Phone in 2014. That said, the fear of 2GB suddenly becoming the practical minimum is real. I hope that this 1GB business just has to do with Windows Phone 8 being a new platform (just over a year old).

monzki

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
The TS is right. Ipod Touch 4th gen with 256mb RAM can run Temple Run 2 (although a bit laggy) but still.

To those bashing the TS about computer science, programming, blah blah blah. You don't need the whole 1gb of ram to run mobile games, if it does then there's something absolutely wrong with either Windows Phone OS or the game itself.

The TS has right to complain as 512mb is enough to play Temple Run 2.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
As someone who started writing code in 1967, I can say that the main reason is the programmers are becoming lazy and spoiled. Optimizing code takes work. The head of development for the number 2 hardware company, at the time, said (to paraphrase) it's easier to throw hardware at a problem than man hours. As memory and processors keep getting bigger/faster, there is less incentive to make code more efficient.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
@Dratwister, @ArthJar and @foxbat121
Thanks of your answers and suggestion.

Next time I'll make sure that I'll buy a high end phone. But before I want to make sure that when I buy a 1GB RAM devices phone then it doesn't require atleast 2GB RAM that time for these small games.

Make sure you buy the phone that is top of the line at that time. There is no doubt that we will see 2GB or even 4GB phones in the near future. And you will see games will require 2GB or 4GB to run when they first appear. It takes a lot of time and efforts to optimize your app to run within the constraints of lower memory phones. So, it is easier to release it first to high end phones so that you can make some money while working on optimizations.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You don't need the whole 1gb of ram to run mobile games, if it does then there's something absolutely wrong with either Windows Phone OS or the game itself.

It requires 513MB of RAM. Your 512MB is only 1MB short :)

As stated above, a 512MB phone only has some where around 250MB RAM left for all apps. As such each app is limited to 130MB by default so that it won't slow down the phone OS or crash. WIth a special permission, some apps can be allowed to slightly increase the memory cap.

130MB is not much RAM to work with especially with games.

Aniruddh Sharma

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If an app is optimized for 512 mb ram from the beginning, wouldn't it automatically work on devices with 1 gb ram?
Considering that the highest selling WP phone has 512 MB ram, shouldn't the app be just made for 512 MB ram devices and it will automatically work for other high end devices thereby resulting in more downloads.

Let's be honest here, we all love WP but most of the people I have recommended a Lumia ended up buying a 720 and they do play basic games like Temple Run. Eventually when they would see that either an app is not available because of 512 MB ram or even if it comes late but is still laggy; WP would be at a loss.

Just my 2 cents :)

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Let's say it will take game Dev 10 months to create a 512mb capable game vs 3 months for a 1gb only game, guess what those devs will do. Now consider the revenues from windows phone market will be less than 10% of what they make from Android or iOS, it is actually surprising that they will spend exrra effort to make 512mb version at all unless Microsoft paid them to do so.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Clearly you're not a developer. Clearly you're making assumptions about a process with which you know very little.

Clearly you are not answering anything here.
Clearly it's WP fault that they are not able to make this OS interesting for developers in 3 years.
Clearly early adopter are paying the price for it.
Clearly WP users(own 512MB RAM devices and which is majority also) aren't happy with this.
Clearly WP developers have to do something about this instead of making users wait more.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Clearly you are not answering anything here.
Clearly it's WP fault that they are not able to make this OS interesting for developers in 3 years.
Clearly early adopter are paying the price for it.
Clearly WP users(own 512MB RAM devices and which is majority also) aren't happy with this.
Clearly WP developers have to do something about this instead of making users wait more.

Clearly you are an impatient person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99