WP 8 podcast downloading

rcoe74

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just been switched from a WP 7 to WP 8. I used to use Zune to download podcasts and sync to my phone. I've found that Zune doesn't work with WP 8 (is that right?) and I've downloaded the Windows Phone app to sync my stuff. But the Windows Phone app doesn't seem to have any functionality for actually subscribing to/downloading the podcasts in the first place?

Have I got this right? If so, it seems totally crazy that what was a fairly neat one step operation all done within Zune, is now going to be a two step operation with two different bits of software?

I've seen a few comments saying that podcast support on WP 8 is weak so I guess I'm experiencing the same thing, but is there any seamless way of doing this with the Windows Phone app?

thanks very much in advance for all your help

Richard

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've just been switched from a WP 7 to WP 8. I used to use Zune to download podcasts and sync to my phone. I've found that Zune doesn't work with WP 8 (is that right?) and I've downloaded the Windows Phone app to sync my stuff. But the Windows Phone app doesn't seem to have any functionality for actually subscribing to/downloading the podcasts in the first place?

Have I got this right? If so, it seems totally crazy that what was a fairly neat one step operation all done within Zune, is now going to be a two step operation with two different bits of software?

I've seen a few comments saying that podcast support on WP 8 is weak so I guess I'm experiencing the same thing, but is there any seamless way of doing this with the Windows Phone app?

Welcome to WP8, Richard. You have found what many of us think is the biggest step backward in Windows Phone. Zune/Music/Podcast support.

No, you can't use Zune with WP8. Yes, it's totally crazy that we had such a great thing and now it's dead. For podcast support you have a choice. You can do it through the native podcast section of the Music/Video hub, or you can download an app like Podcatcher or Podcast Lounge, and you have to do it over WiFi. You *can* use the Windows Phone desktop app (or metro app if you're on Win8*, but that's an even worse proposition. Personally, I'm using the native support, though it's not ideal. I've used both Podcast Lounge and Podcatcher, and they're in many ways better than the native support, but when I replaced my phone I never bothered reinstalling them. I probably will, though, one of these days. I just have to think about it when I'm at home, where I can download over WiFi (no WiFi at work), and I never think about them at home because I do all of my podcast listening during my commute.

HTH.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WP8, Richard. You have found what many of us think is the biggest step backward in Windows Phone. Zune/Music/Podcast support.

No, you can't use Zune with WP8. Yes, it's totally crazy that we had such a great thing and now it's dead. For podcast support you have a choice. You can do it through the native podcast section of the Music/Video hub, or you can download an app like Podcatcher or Podcast Lounge, and you have to do it over WiFi. You *can* use the Windows Phone desktop app (or metro app if you're on Win8*, but that's an even worse proposition. Personally, I'm using the native support, though it's not ideal. I've used both Podcast Lounge and Podcatcher, and they're in many ways better than the native support, but when I replaced my phone I never bothered reinstalling them. I probably will, though, one of these days. I just have to think about it when I'm at home, where I can download over WiFi (no WiFi at work), and I never think about them at home because I do all of my podcast listening during my commute.

HTH.

Wait, I'm a little confused here, what native support are you referring to? The podcasts section in Xbox music and videos hub is always empty for me no matter what. Am I missing something?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wait, I'm a little confused here, what native support are you referring to? The podcasts section in Xbox music and videos hub is always empty for me no matter what. Am I missing something?

You have to go into the store and find the podcasts you want, subscribe to them or download individual episodes, and then they'll be in the podcast area of Music/Videos.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Podcast Lounge does allow download over cellular, as long as it is under 50MB; you may need to enable in the app's settings. That restriction is due to the OS, not the dev. The app also has a beta feature to allow background downloads (over WiFi, while charging) which is great for overnight. Lastly, you can also just stream without downloading, though watch out if you have a low cap.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Richard, to make a general comment I'd say it is just easier to handle podcasts directly on the device. MS is very clearly moving away from a PC-centric experience (as is Apple and Google).

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
You have to go into the store and find the podcasts you want, subscribe to them or download individual episodes, and then they'll be in the podcast area of Music/Videos.
I've never been able to find podcasts in the store (the music store?). Can you name some podcasts I can search there and find? All the podcasts I know aren't in the store.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Depending on your market maybe you don't have Podcasts in the Store. I'm in the US and the Store landing page lists "apps, games, music, podcasts". Tapping on podcasts brings me to a featured tab, but there are also top, new, and genre tabs (and a search button on bottom).

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Depending on your market maybe you don't have Podcasts in the Store. I'm in the US and the Store landing page lists "apps, games, music, podcasts". Tapping on podcasts brings me to a featured tab, but there are also top, new, and genre tabs (and a search button on bottom).

Wow, I don't live in US but I've set my region to US and I still don't see any podcast section in the store. This is really bizarre.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Built-in podcast support is US only, and changing your region does not affect that. It's a complete joke, I'm waiting for a publication to rake Microsoft over hot coals for their regional BS so the company finally gets a clue. Unfortunately, the tech press doesn't care as it is mostly US-based.

Pick up Podcast Lounge if you can. It can download new episodes automatically in the background overnight, continue downloads you initiated in the background, stream episodes and enter podcasts by feed URL.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, what's already been said. I didn't realize that podcast support was US only, but I did know it wasn't everywhere. If you're not in a supported market (which seems to be US only - really, I thought it was in UK, too), you'll have to use an app. Podcast Lounge and Podcatcher are both apps I've used, but there have been several updates since I've used them, so at this point I don't know first hand which is going to be better. But you're not really missing out - native podcast support isn't what it used to be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte