The Age of Nokia 2.0 (post-devices)

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think this is an important topic to discuss as the adoption of Nokia's devices division in Microsoft will result in a lot of major changes for not only us Windows Phone users, but iOS and Android users too. Moving forward I'm sure we will see Nokia 2.0 focus on cross-platform development, akin to Amazon, for its HERE and imaging technology. We may even see their R&D team develop PureView and other solutions for other hardware vendors, irrespective of platform.

While losing some of Windows Phone's distinction is going to a sting, there are some positives to consider.

The rise of Nokia as a focused locations giant on iOS and Android might constitute a real threat for Google. Nokia might succeed in converting over a sizable number of Google Maps users on Android and iOS over to HERE, prompting Google to seriously consider opening a front on HERE's old home, i.e. Windows Phone.

As for the proliferation of PureView, the reality runs both ways. On the one hand it will suck if we see the likes of Motorola sport PureView on their Android phones, but we the option is open to those building Windows Phones too. The capacity to license PureView, PureMotion, etc. is a boon to smaller OEMs who might be looking to develop incredibly stylized and premium handsets. My affection for Lumia may transition to the likes of bq (see their Tesla W8 tablet) and others. Heck, imagine a Surface Phone sporting PureView as well as the new stuff that Nokia will develop in the future, in addition to the stuff Microsoft will develop...

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Nokia 2.0? Try 4.5(9) ;)

My guess is that they're going to focus on mapping, network services and advanced technologies (fancy speak for intellectual properties).
What I'm really wanting to see is the grapheme flagship, so to speak, since Nokia did join the consortium last year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3