"What kind of phone is that?"

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I know there have been other threads on this subject, and I would have posted to there, but I'm just not finding them in search right now. Call me braindead for search terms, I guess. But I wanted to share the interaction that I had with the teenage-looking girl working the cash register at Kroger today.

I held up my phone to let her scan the rewards card barcode (We need the KeyRing App back!). She scanned it and asked, "What kind of phone is that?"

Me: It's a Windows Phone.
Girl: That looks neat - I'm getting tired of my iPhone. Does it transition easily?
Me: Transition?
Girl: You know, like switch between apps.
Me: Well, I've never used an iPhone, but I've heard other people say that it handles multitasking better than the iPhone.
Girl: Better than the iPhone???
Me: That's what I've been told.
Girl: Wow, I'll have to check that out! I'm really tired of my iPhone.

Did I tell you that she's tired of her iPhone? :wink:

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
iPhones are expensive but that doesn't mean they are good...
Windows phones are great imo,just some people don't like its UI and not so much apps/games like android or iOS...That's why its population is low,but it's matter of time to get more famous...

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I know there have been other threads on this subject, and I would have posted to there, but I'm just not finding them in search right now. Call me braindead for search terms, I guess. But I wanted to share the interaction that I had with the teenage-looking girl working the cash register at Kroger today.

I held up my phone to let her scan the rewards card barcode (We need the KeyRing App back!). She scanned it and asked, "What kind of phone is that?"

Me: It's a Windows Phone.
Girl: That looks neat - I'm getting tired of my iPhone. Does it transition easily?
Me: Well, I've never used an iPhone, but I've heard other people say that it handles multitasking better than the iPhone.
Girl: Wow, I'll have to check that out! I'm really tired of my iPhone.

Did I tell you that she's tired of her iPhone? :wink:
You should've told her that it multitasks just like iOS7 because they copied it from WP8!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The part I thought was funny was that here was this teeny-bopper girl, probably all into the latest thing, asking me, 46 year old fat guy about my phone! LOL

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My 15 year old sister got a Lumia 900 last year (couldn't wait for WP8). But within months she wanted an iPhone because that's what all her friends had. So we bought her a used iPhone 4.

Now she's gawking over my Lumia 1020 and wants one really bad. I think the iPhone is a nice device, but it gets old pretty quick. Even iOS7 didn't really freshen it up much.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar situation. I was at a gas station when the guy that rang me up went to scan my loyalty card he remarked about what a cool phone that was and wanted to know what kind it was so I told him to touch the Windows button to get back to the start screen and explained that it was a Windows Phone and a Lumia 920. He really liked it and commented that it looked so much better than the other phones he sees. He was a late teen to early 20's but surprised me by his comments.

For the OP, I use the app "Loyalty Cards". It works really well and I have yet to find a card it doesn't recognize.

Loyalty Cards | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I wish it integrated with the Wallet app but the biggest plus is that you can backup your cards to SkyDrive saving the need to re enter all of them in the event of a phone replacement or reset.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar situation. I was at a gas station when the guy that rang me up went to scan my loyalty card he remarked about what a cool phone that was and wanted to know what kind it was so I told him to touch the Windows button to get back to the start screen and explained that it was a Windows Phone and a Lumia 920. He really liked it and commented that it looked so much better than the other phones he sees. He was a late teen to early 20's but surprised me by his comments.

For the OP, I use the app "Loyalty Cards". It works really well and I have yet to find a card it doesn't recognize.

Loyalty Cards | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I wish it integrated with the Wallet app but the biggest plus is that you can backup your cards to SkyDrive saving the need to re enter all of them in the event of a phone replacement or reset.

I use FidMe for loyalty cards, it integrates with the wallet as well :wink:

Jessica Lares

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Lot better than my experience too.

Someone at college asked me if they could "touch" my phone because they hadn't seen a Nokia in years. :winktongue:

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
The part I thought was funny was that here was this teeny-bopper girl, probably all into the latest thing, asking me, 46 year old fat guy about my phone! LOL

We are the demographic to ask for informed tech advice (I'm 36, but catching up fast!). It's a compliment to our wisdom, right?

In Limbo

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to see a thread like this again. I've been asked about three times in the past month "what kind of phone is that"? The awesome part is that I'm still rocking a Lumia 920. Makes me proud to be keeping a yet another Nokia over a year :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been asked that question about my Lumia 810 and 920 as well, occasionally by family members. An aunt of mine asked me in May what phone my 920 was (she has a Samsung Galaxy S II). It's fun showing people what WP is all about.

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
People often ask about my L620. Usually people in India are not that smart (especially in Bihar).. So they end up asking me what version of "Android" am I using.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site

I think WP8 is great and its growing nicely...but to say it handles multitasking better than iOS, i dont know...thats a bold statement that i cant really say is entirely true.

Is WP8 fluid? Yes
Is it laggy from my experience? Not at all
Does closing an App necessarily mean all processes have stopped properly? There are instances where this is not true...and the battery drain begins.

And yes i'll get slammed as i recently transitioned from WP8 to iPhone...but im not trying to be biased. There are things i prefer on WP8 over iOS, but i wouldn't say multitasking is handled better.

Im prepared to get flammed!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I think WP8 is great and its growing nicely...but to say it handles multitasking better than iOS, i dont know...thats a bold statement that i cant really say is entirely true.

Is WP8 fluid? Yes
Does closing an App necessarily mean all processes have stopped properly? There are instances where this is not true...and the battery drain begins.

And yes i'll get slammed as i recently transitioned from WP8 to iPhone...but im not trying to be biased. There are things i prefer on WP8 over iOS, but i wouldn't say multitasking is handled better.

I did say that I've never used an iPhone, but that I was repeating what I'd heard. :wink:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what she will get. :)

I get asked about my 920, mostly when it doesn't have the case on, because the phone is yellow. Some people love the interface, and ALWAYS ask "Does it have apps?". YES, IT HAS APPS! lol.

Some people like to make fun of the color when it is off the case and the look of it, because it looks "fat".

Binoya Mathews

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

Is WP8 fluid? Yes

You are spot on. iPhone does multitasking so much better. Windows phone`s background processes are a mess and its been admitted also, Even with all the app memory restrictions in place, it can`t outperform iOS . if you want smart multitasking with great battery life and performance, there is only one OS which is far ahead than others atleast for now, iOS 7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo