I'm almost going to purchase two WP8 handsets - and apps is not what's holding me back!

Think77

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

My first post here. I really need your help! I've already bought a Lumia 625 for my girlfriend for Christmas (not opened yet, of course, still boxed) and ordered a 1520 for myself. But should I cancel both? App quantity/quality is not the biggest problem. Here is a list of what's potentially holding me back:

1) We both have Macs. How (well) does WP8/Lumia sync with Macs? Calendar events for instance? Photos? Music?
2) Can we share calendars like on the iPhone and Macs and have, say, a "family calendar" for common use as well as separate ones - that sync with our Macs?
3) Can we transfer the rather big amount of messages (sms) from our iPhones to the Lumia via Transfer My Data app? I'm confused as to whether the latest app version does this.
4) Does WP8 have the option to make complete backups of the phone to to Mac/PC when connected via USB? (Like the iPhone)

And of course, the missing and low quality apps is a problem - but it's not the main problem. I really, really like the look and feel of WP8 and the Lumias. So, I REALLY want to invest in this WP8/Nokia ecosystem. But you know, I will not buy something that my girlfriend is going to be underwhelmed by, so to speak. After all, she will be moving away from her iPhone.

Looking VERY MUCH forward to reading your responses!

All best and merry Christmas
Think77

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

My first post here. I really need your help! I've already bought a Lumia 625 for my girlfriend for Christmas (not opened yet, of course, still boxed) and ordered a 1520 for myself. But should I cancel both? App quantity/quality is not the biggest problem. Here is a list of what's potentially holding me back:

1) We both have Macs. How (well) does WP8/Lumia sync with Macs? Calendar events for instance? Photos? Music?
2) Can we share calendars like on the iPhone and Macs and have, say, a "family calendar" for common use as well as separate ones - that sync with our Macs?
3) Can we transfer the rather big amount of messages (sms) from our iPhones to the Lumia via Transfer My Data app? I'm confused as to whether the latest app version does this.
4) Does WP8 have the option to make complete backups of the phone to to Mac/PC when connected via USB? (Like the iPhone)

And of course, the missing and low quality apps is a problem - but it's not the main problem. I really, really like the look and feel of WP8 and the Lumias. So, I REALLY want to invest in this WP8/Nokia ecosystem. But you know, I will not buy something that my girlfriend is going to be underwhelmed by, so to speak. After all, she will be moving away from her iPhone.

Looking VERY MUCH forward to reading your responses!

All best and merry Christmas
Think77

1. Cant help you there, I am a windows user.
2. Yes, you can there is a nifty feature called "rooms" in the people hub, it sets up a shared calendar, shared notes and shared messages. It works very well.
3. I am not sure if it will transfer your SMS from the iPhone to your window phones. Contacts etc. worked flawlessly on my wifes 520.
4. unfortunately the backups on windows phone has a lot left to be desired. Purchase history is saved, some individual apps will backup to skydrive, but a lot do not include that feature. the OS is VERY integrated with the cloud though, and things that do backup to skydrive work great.

I made the switch from my IPhone 4 last year when Windows phone 8 was released. I have not looked back. The app situation is not as bad as some make it seem. I have found EVERY app I have wanted, and where there were no first party apps, there generally is a nice selection of third party apps where some are better than the first party app that eventually gets released.

Have you done a quick check on windowsphone.com to compare apps? That might be a good place to start. I LOVE my 920, and do not think I will move away from this platform. It is still growing, and maturing, which will take some time as did IOS and Android (I was a very early adopter of IOS)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I JUST switched the wife to my old Lumia 920 2 days ago. Only issue she's having is people are still trying to contact her on iMessage. Other than that, she's loving WP8 after coming from an iPhone 4.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys

Think77

Some good observations here.....

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/22/windows-phone-8-and-the-mac-surprisingly-compatible/

John Fungo

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
What a big coincidencw, man. I got the 625 last month and I'm selling it now since I upgraded to 1520. Before using 625, I had an iPhone 5 which I eventually gave to my sister. I haven't backed up my messages when I made the switxh from iPhone to 625
but I think you could back them up on SkyDrive then just download them when you got the Lumias? That's the way I retained my SMS and other contacts when I switched to 1520.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
It's funny, i bought a 1520 for myself, and a 625 for my younger brother - im using the 625 lol

I wont go into the circular argument we had but needless to say he's getting a book for Christmas next year ;)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys

My first post here. And of course, the missing and low quality apps is a problem - but it's not the main problem.
I think it would be better to pass judgment once you've used the apps. I think you will find the quality of apps to be very high. There may be some apps that lack a function compared to the other platforms, but the quality is very good.

Noahma

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I JUST switched the wife to my old Lumia 920 2 days ago. Only issue she's having is people are still trying to contact her on iMessage. Other than that, she's loving WP8 after coming from an iPhone 4.

Go back through her icloud account and remove the iPhone from that. Also go to the IPhone and turn off Imessage, when people send her texts with their iphones that have previously sent text to her they should press and hold on the message area and select "send as text" after a while it will remember and do that only.

Think77

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your very constructive and interesting responses! It's certainly nice to have a helpful community when transitioning to WP/Nokia. Talking of which, I had a lengthy talk/analysis with my girlfriend today, and while she really loves the idea of moving to WP, it seems to come down to app choice anyway. Of course, there is Netflix, Facebook and other big names essential to her mobile life - but 1 or 2 crucial local apps (we live in Denmark) are missing; an app called mobilbilletter that is used for buying tickets for public transport in Copenhagen. It's something that she's really become accustomed to. There was another one as well, can't remember which one. But the provider/developer of the mobilbilletter app states on their Facebook site that they won't develop the app because of the lack of traction on the WP platform. And now potential buyers are being held back from investing in WP/Nokia by the lack of traction (or relative lack of traction, anyway) on the app side of things. It's a circle that needs to be broken.

I cannot help but think that Microsoft should make a detailed analysis of local/national/regional apps that need to see a WP version and then put some money into closing the gaps. One thing is to close the gaps in a top-50 global/US app list, but maybe every potential buyer needs 1, 3 or 3 specific local apps in order to make the move from Android/iOS to WP. Maybe, in each country there are 10 apps that are essential to local customers, and let's say there are 100 countries with this "profile". That means that Microsoft needs to financially back the development of 1.000 apps. Don't know if they are already doing this? I'm not a business guy, just rather frustrated that it's not possible (or sufficiently attractive) to move to WP at the moment.

jonathanrn

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if there is a web app for buying the train tickets? I mention this because there is no app for my bank, but the web app is sufficient for now.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Don't want to but will agree with wpnokia920. If your going into this believing you are going to have issues / problems / etc then you will. MSFT and Nokia have done a lot to make the switch as easy as possible but if you or your girl are not prepared to come part of the way on your own you will not be happy in the end.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
One thing I did, that is only a solution for apps that don't need internet all the time, is to keep my iPhone without a SIM. I did it when I first switched to WP for Audible. Now we have Audible but I've been carrying my iPhone 4 around for SmartGo books lately.

Obviously this solution has some drawbacks, although Apple helps by making such thin and small phones, so carrying one as a second device isn't actually a big deal.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It takes a certain level of enthusiasm and blind faith to change- not just phones, but anything. And if you're not willing or able to give up how you do things now, then keep doing them the same way you until you can't anymore. There were apps that I used all the time on iOS. I really really liked some of them, but you know what? Before I found them there were other apps I used all the time. These things come and go. An app for train tickets? Don't they sell tickets at the station? Or on the web? Embrace change- it's the only thing you're assured of.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Just buy a Lumia 520 to test WP yourself and see if it meets your needs. At $60 or less you are not really loosing money and you can always use the 520 as just a backup phone when your main one gets damaged or something.

Think77

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I can totally see why it may seem strange that a ticket app can turn out to be so important (and one other other app as well). But actually, buying train/bus tickets in Copenhagen has been a bit of a political hot potato over the past year due to a political decision to make ticket purchasing all digital. And the main system that has been developed and implemented to accomplish this has been extremely insufficient and poorly designed. So, people (with smartphones) have actually come to depend somewhat on the ticket app - or become accustomed to using it, at least. BTW: it IS still possible to buy physical tickets, but only due to a last minute decision this summer to continue offering this. But in a matter of short time, it goes all digital, and people are transitioning and starting to expect using an app as part of their usage patterns.

But again: thanks for all your comments and suggestions that are truly helpful in order to make an informed move to WP8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thehinac