I want THIS on my Windows Phone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
The argument of "why would you want this" is pointless and dumb. Just because YOU dont want it, doesnt mean its a useless feature. Obviously setting actual pictures is useless, but at least something! Like a color instead of black/white, or some minor images like on Windows 8.1

Pratham Sarwate

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
i feel they should make tiles semi-transparent, like windows 8/8.1 desktop taskbar. if they combine this with a wallpaper that would keep data and text on tiles distinct, while adding to the looks. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The best argument against it is resources. Should Microsoft devote resources to developing this feature that a couple of people want and most find useless, or should they devote resources to something with far greater impact?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, hate this kind of ****. Would make Windows Phone sooooooo ugly. But I'm afraid they'll do this once they merge RT and WP.

I don't understand why people are in love with cluttering their start screen. It actually makes it harder to use because your brain/eyes have to separate even more distractions to find what its looking for.

This is why users suck sometimes. They want what is worse for them.

This is exactly why bespoke software developers tell the customers what they should have instead :wink:

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
The best argument against it is resources. Should Microsoft devote resources to developing this feature that a couple of people want and most find useless, or should they devote resources to something with far greater impact?

I doubt something as basic as the ability to change background would require more than a few minutes of their time, it's not rocket science to add this in.

Having more choice to customize the look of the OS is always good. For people that want to keep the current look no one is forcing you to change it, that's why its called an option.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt something as basic as the ability to change background would require more than a few minutes of their time, it's not rocket science to add this in.

Having more choice to customize the look of the OS is always good. For people that want to keep the current look no one is forcing you to change it, that's why its called an option.

A few minutes is a huge underestimate. But even so, a few minutes wasted on something that doesn't matter is still a few minutes wasted.

Plain and simple: This will not happen. There is no point in wasting your efforts here. Suggest it on uservoice, but it's not going to happen. Suggest it here, and it has even less chance.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
For relatively minimalist backgrounds it could work, though even for the examples given it's still kind of an eyesore, in my opinion.

That said, I feel the options for Windows Phone start screens should echo Windows 8 start screens and let us customise the background to a greater extent, even if it means simply letting us choose a different colour than Black and White. The 8.1-style interactively scrolling backgrounds would be cool, though there isn't really any space for them to express themselves, which is definitely a good thing.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Make an option for different colours and pictures so people can keep the original black and white theme or have a picture there that changes the look of the os by using some of the colours/patterns of the picture. This feature shall be called 'metro background'

forowned

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
AKncxxw.jpg

5KbKZxE.jpg

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It's noisy and I'm not a big fan of it. But the upside is that if they implement it for people who want it, those who don't can continue to use a solid colored background. So, it's a win-win.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, well forgive the crapness of my 2 second and unfinished mockups, but maybe what Microsoft *might* do one day is Windows 8 style colour themes instead.

I can't imagine they'll want people walking around with their pink/green colour schemes or photos behind their tiles, it would not reflect well on the brand, but themes could possibly work.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well forgive the crapness of my 2 second and unfinished mockups, but maybe what Microsoft *might* do one day is Windows 8 style colour themes instead.

I can't imagine they'll want people walking around with their pink/green colour schemes or photos behind their tiles, it would not reflect well on the brand, but themes could possibly work.

http://i.imgur.com/yBpkyUa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M3Djvqz.jpg

I like that idea, solid colour backgrounds other than black or white would be good. I would allow the background colour to be picked separately from the accent colour though.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
To sum this up, Could someone just make a concept on youtube where live tiles are semi transparent and whole system colour scheme changes when you change the background to blend in with the theme

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
If all the 'ideas' from users were taken on by MS, we would end up with the bloated whale that is Android.. All style and no substance. A background image in the start screen makes zero sense, and I'm sure MS will have the good sense to ignore it. An image that would never be seen.. Good one!!
Some ideas are quite good and should be considered, but let's not just port ideas from Android or iOS. WP can offer more elegant, and useable, solutions...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
If all the 'ideas' from users were taken on by MS, we would end up with the bloated whale that is Android.. All style and no substance. A background image in the start screen makes zero sense, and I'm sure MS will have the good sense to ignore it. An image that would never be seen.. Good one!!
Some ideas are quite good and should be considered, but let's not just port ideas from Android or iOS. WP can offer more elegant, and useable, solutions...

Havent you looked at the first post, the live tiles are semi transparent

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah... I think every developer ever would love to be able to implement every little feature and option into their work, but there simply isn't enough time, especially for Microsoft who are still playing catchup.

They need to prioritise hard-hitting features to win their market share, and sadly, stuff like this probably isn't gonna do it.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

I have to ask. How the hell can it be difficult to allow background images on the main screen? There is no way that can be difficult to code. The just choose not to do it, same way they refuse to give us more color options. And dont try and tell me that giving us more tile color options would take a bunch of resources. They could do both of these things in a day or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12