12-24-2013 11:56 PM
85 1234
tools
    I doubt something as basic as the ability to change background would require more than a few minutes of their time, it's not rocket science to add this in.

Having more choice to customize the look of the OS is always good. For people that want to keep the current look no one is forcing you to change it, that's why its called an option.
    A few minutes is a huge underestimate. But even so, a few minutes wasted on something that doesn't matter is still a few minutes wasted.

Plain and simple: This will not happen. There is no point in wasting your efforts here. Suggest it on uservoice, but it's not going to happen. Suggest it here, and it has even less chance.
    HyperChrisX likes this.
    12-23-2013 01:06 PM
    Looks very cool! I definitely want this in 8.1 :)
    12-23-2013 01:23 PM
    For relatively minimalist backgrounds it could work, though even for the examples given it's still kind of an eyesore, in my opinion.

That said, I feel the options for Windows Phone start screens should echo Windows 8 start screens and let us customise the background to a greater extent, even if it means simply letting us choose a different colour than Black and White. The 8.1-style interactively scrolling backgrounds would be cool, though there isn't really any space for them to express themselves, which is definitely a good thing.
    12-23-2013 02:10 PM
    Make an option for different colours and pictures so people can keep the original black and white theme or have a picture there that changes the look of the os by using some of the colours/patterns of the picture. This feature shall be called 'metro background'
    Susmit257 and LumiaWorld like this.
    12-23-2013 02:17 PM

Susmit257 likes this.
    12-23-2013 02:50 PM
    I think it should be added for those who want it, but I really think its gross looking
    12-23-2013 03:01 PM
    It's noisy and I'm not a big fan of it. But the upside is that if they implement it for people who want it, those who don't can continue to use a solid colored background. So, it's a win-win.
    12-23-2013 03:32 PM
    Ok, well forgive the crapness of my 2 second and unfinished mockups, but maybe what Microsoft *might* do one day is Windows 8 style colour themes instead.

I can't imagine they'll want people walking around with their pink/green colour schemes or photos behind their tiles, it would not reflect well on the brand, but themes could possibly work.

DaveGx, teckris, Zippier and 1 others like this.
    12-23-2013 03:58 PM
    Ok, well forgive the crapness of my 2 second and unfinished mockups, but maybe what Microsoft *might* do one day is Windows 8 style colour themes instead.

I can't imagine they'll want people walking around with their pink/green colour schemes or photos behind their tiles, it would not reflect well on the brand, but themes could possibly work.

http://i.imgur.com/yBpkyUa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M3Djvqz.jpg
    I like that idea, solid colour backgrounds other than black or white would be good. I would allow the background colour to be picked separately from the accent colour though.
    12-23-2013 04:03 PM
    To sum this up, Could someone just make a concept on youtube where live tiles are semi transparent and whole system colour scheme changes when you change the background to blend in with the theme
    12-23-2013 04:35 PM
    Better to have choices than not. Some may like it, some may not. You could always not use it if you hate it. Just sayin. Love my 1020 :P
    The best post on this thread that should put all discussion to rest. :-)
    12-23-2013 04:43 PM
    If all the 'ideas' from users were taken on by MS, we would end up with the bloated whale that is Android.. All style and no substance. A background image in the start screen makes zero sense, and I'm sure MS will have the good sense to ignore it. An image that would never be seen.. Good one!!
    Some ideas are quite good and should be considered, but let's not just port ideas from Android or iOS. WP can offer more elegant, and useable, solutions...
    sahib lopez and eric12341 like this.
    12-23-2013 05:05 PM
    If all the 'ideas' from users were taken on by MS, we would end up with the bloated whale that is Android.. All style and no substance. A background image in the start screen makes zero sense, and I'm sure MS will have the good sense to ignore it. An image that would never be seen.. Good one!!
    Some ideas are quite good and should be considered, but let's not just port ideas from Android or iOS. WP can offer more elegant, and useable, solutions...
    Havent you looked at the first post, the live tiles are semi transparent
    12-23-2013 05:10 PM
    Yeah... I think every developer ever would love to be able to implement every little feature and option into their work, but there simply isn't enough time, especially for Microsoft who are still playing catchup.

They need to prioritise hard-hitting features to win their market share, and sadly, stuff like this probably isn't gonna do it.
    12-23-2013 05:12 PM
    The best argument against it is resources. Should Microsoft devote resources to developing this feature that a couple of people want and most find useless, or should they devote resources to something with far greater impact?
    I have to ask. How the hell can it be difficult to allow background images on the main screen? There is no way that can be difficult to code. The just choose not to do it, same way they refuse to give us more color options. And dont try and tell me that giving us more tile color options would take a bunch of resources. They could do both of these things in a day or less.
    12-23-2013 05:26 PM

http://i.imgur.com/yBpkyUa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M3Djvqz.jpg
    Nice job. Something so simple, yet it seems to escape MS devs. Or more so, they get so stubborn sometimes and refuse to do things like this for reasons I will never know.
    12-23-2013 05:27 PM
    You guys should really tweet/email images of these to some Devs or other higher ups who work at MS on Windows Phones. No reason they couldnt implement some of this easily.
    12-23-2013 05:28 PM
    A few minutes is a huge underestimate. But even so, a few minutes wasted on something that doesn't matter is still a few minutes wasted.

Plain and simple: This will not happen. There is no point in wasting your efforts here. Suggest it on uservoice, but it's not going to happen. Suggest it here, and it has even less chance.
    No, I think you are overestimating how much work it would take to change background.png
    it would literally take a half hour, max. Plus there is an obvious demand for the feature, so it is well worth that half hour.

Bet on it happening.
    DaveGx likes this.
    12-23-2013 05:30 PM
    No, I think you are overestimating how much work it would take to change background.png
    it would literally take a half hour, max. Plus there is an obvious demand for the feature, so it is well worth that half hour.

Bet on it happening.
    I wouldn't bet on it but would like to see it. I like MS but they can be very stubborn when they choose to. Look at how we still have limited amount of tile color options, 3 years into WP. That is bs, and they refused to do it for some reason. A simple color maker would've taken them a half hour to do.
    12-23-2013 05:33 PM

Actually speaking from experience, no it wouldn't be an underestimate to say it's a few minutes to put the code in there. You act as if the code responsible for this doesn't already exist in Windows, when it in fact does.

I don't get why people think that everything requires coding from scratch...
    DaveGx likes this.
    12-23-2013 05:57 PM
    I'm usually on Microsoft's side on a lot of things. Not allowing backgrounds is one that I'm not for though. I've tried to convince them since the Zune HD that allowing backgrounds is a good thing.

Personally I'd love to put a blurred raindrops on glass shot as my background....but no...
    DaveGx and Reflexx like this.
    12-23-2013 05:59 PM
    Ok...are some of you seriously against allowing this option? Seriously? I can GUARANTEE you that this option would be wanted by a large number of users. I would like the option. I can imagine some basic backgrounds that would work well with tiles. At the very least, I want color options besides black and white. Since they are going to merge with RT, I believe they will need to do this anyways.
    12-23-2013 06:02 PM
    Ok...are some of you seriously against allowing this option? Seriously? I can GUARANTEE you that this option would be wanted by a large number of users. I would like the option. I can imagine some basic backgrounds that would work well with tiles. At the very least, I want color options besides black and white. Since they are going to merge with RT, I believe they will need to do this anyways.
    Reasons why we need this:
    1. iOS has this similar feature. People from iOS will feel familiar with the start screen and will ease them to move to the os
    2. Customisability in the OS would. Makes the phone more personal to the cater the user's.
    3. How does it not look good!
    12-23-2013 06:22 PM
    Woah, I'm surprised with the amount of posts... Considering I just posted this thread yesterday. 😊

Yeah, I agree with the others. If ever this feature would be implemented, it will be nice if MS would provide an option whether to use a background or not... 😊
    12-23-2013 07:03 PM
    I'm usually on Microsoft's side on a lot of things. Not allowing backgrounds is one that I'm not for though. I've tried to convince them since the Zune HD that allowing backgrounds is a good thing.

Personally I'd love to put a blurred raindrops on glass shot as my background....but no...
    Agreed. A nice pattern or design in the background would be sweet.

It's not a deal breaker by any stretch, but the option would be nice.
    12-23-2013 07:50 PM
85 1234