Your realistic prediction of 8.1

qsr786

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
You guys are too optimistic, from what was leaked, only there will be a notifikation center an the more tiles for bigger displays will be showed. Also small improvements in the volume controls, thats it guys.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You guys are too optimistic, from what was leaked, only there will be a notifikation center an the more tiles for bigger displays will be showed. Also small improvements in the volume controls, thats it guys.

What was leaked was a very small list and we have no idea what is coming. As for optimism, it's a part of being a WP user. :p

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Upcoming features / enhancements in Windows Phone 8.1 which would make the Windows Phone OS more ‘complete’

Let's break this down shall we?

All Windows Phone 8 devices will be updated to 8.1 - Already stated that this is happening, only block will be carriers and feature limits due to hardware.
Notification center with quick settings - OK, stated as coming
Better multitasking - OK
Simple flick upward to close applications in the multitasking view - OK
Linear screen brightness adjustment - OK
Music scrubbing in music player - no idea what this is
App Folder support for all Windows phone devices - Sure
Call / SMS blocking for all Windows phone devices - Sure
Option to Change the Default Search provider in IE to Google for all Windows phone devices - Not going to happen. It's WP.
Improved Battery performance - Sure, not sure how easily that is fixed.
Minimize Sound distortion in Video recording via software enhancements for devices that don't have Nokia's Haac technology - Sure
File Manager - Not in the way Android is but likely deeper integration of Skydrive. Whether this makes everyone happy I doubt it.
Manual IP Configuration - Sure
Control ringtone and media volume separately - Stated as coming
Slide to the right on main screen to enable notifications - Sure
Official BBM (Blackberry Messenger) app for Windows Phone - Not up to MS
Official Yahoo! Mail app for Windows Phone - Not up to MS
Official Soundcloud app - Not up to MS
Official Youtube app - Not up to MS
Ability to change notification sound setting in Whatsapp - Sure
Cortana (Voice Assistant) - Sure
Option to display Battery Percentage at the status bar - Sure
Internet Explorer Improvements:- Sure
- Ability to Swipe back and forth in IE to change page - OK
- Full Screen support by auto hiding address/search bar -OK
- Password support - OK
The ability to create and add songs to playlist from the phone - Sure
Fix for overheating and fast battery drainage on some WP8 devices - Stated this issue already, sort of. Not sure how easy it is to fix
Fix for Lightning Bolt and Gear on start-up bug - ???? - Is this an issue that happens frequently?
Option to disable Bing (search) button when in apps/games that do not require a search function to prevent accidental presses - Yeah I can get behind this one.

Nice list in general. I can't see a reson why most of those won't happen. We'll have to wait and see.

JHunsaker

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Please don't forget the other storage problem!

I had 8 GB of other storage even after getting GDR3 so I tried resetting my phone and it has not been above 600 MB since. I think GDR3 fixes the other storage problem moving forward, but it doesn't fix the problem if it already existed on your phone at least in my case.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I had 8 GB of other storage even after getting GDR3 so I tried resetting my phone and it has not been above 600 MB since. I think GDR3 fixes the other storage problem moving forward, but it doesn't fix the problem if it already existed on your phone at least in my case.

First time(gdr2): other got up to 24gb so I did a hard reset
second time (gdr3): it got up to 16gb so I did a hard reset
Now I'm on gdr3+black and my other is at 6.9gb... :'(
6.9gb is not acceptable!!

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
'Double tap to wake up phone' for all Windows Phone devices would also be nice...

Either technical limitation or Nokia's imposed limitation to not destroy battery.

Deal with it.

(I admit that not allowing this feature on a L720 is disappointing, but we can't do anything about it)

WPUser3

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
a few more...

Return to top of page with a single tap in IE
Option to Speed up transitions

Hopefully when 8.1 gets released we will see improved App Support for:

BBM (Blackberry Messenger)
Yahoo! Mail
Soundcloud
Youtube
Yahoo! Weather
RBC Mobile
Splashtop Touchpad
Dropbox
Proper Realtor.ca app
Fine My Friends app (which is able to locate family/friends that use iphones)
Facebook app (needs to be a bit faster / responsive, also needs to be able to play embedded Soundcloud posts)

Last edited:

birgs

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I like built in Facebook because you can upload multiple pictures at the same time.. Hope we can still uploads multiple photos,, even without build in Facebook..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss