Haze port coming to WP.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Haze
The hit IOS weather app will come to WP.

Haze is an iOS weather app that features an intuitive, simplistic, and extremely glancable UI.

I'm working on a WP8 port, and here is the first screenshot:
wp_ss_20131227_0001.png

EDIT: TERRIBLE API issues. Will be released when I fix them...

Last edited:

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Good luck designing it! Make it as "Metro" as possible :grin:

If you look at the iOS version, you'll notice that the design is already flat. Due to the app being a port, not a total redesign for WP, I'm trying to design the app so that any shadows, glow, etc won't be present in the WP version. I'm basically going for flat/clean, not metro as metro requires me to use things that just won't work in Haze - Pivots, Accent Colors, App Bars, etc. If MS were to loosen the guidelines that define metro, it would be MUCH easier to move iOS apps over without forgetting metro entirely.

As a designer, I'm more focused on getting the gestures and animations looking as smooth as possible and making sure all of the technologies used to the design the iOS app will work on Windows Phone, and if they are not, find and implement the alternative.

TLDR: Making it metro requires me to rethink everything that made the iOS app great. Doing this would push the release date past the 1st.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the iOS version, you'll notice that the design is already flat. Due to the app being a port, not a total redesign for WP, I'm trying to design the app so that any shadows, glow, etc won't be present in the WP version. I'm basically going for flat/clean, not metro as metro requires me to use things that just won't work in Haze - Pivots, Accent Colors, App Bars, etc. If MS were to loosen the guidelines that define metro, it would be MUCH easier to move iOS apps over without forgetting metro entirely.

As a designer, I'm more focused on getting the gestures and animations looking as smooth as possible and making sure all of the technologies used to the design the iOS app will work on Windows Phone, and if they are not, find and implement the alternative.

TLDR: Making it metro requires me to rethink everything that made the iOS app great. Doing this would push the release date past the 1st.

It's not the pivots and accent colors that are important to making it work for Windows Phone. One of the most important things is that it works like a Windows Phone user would expect it to work. Using UX components that go against what Windows Phone users are used to is a mistake I see now and then. I don't know the app, but the UX is more important than whether there are accent colors and application bars used.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It's not the pivots and accent colors that are important to making it work for Windows Phone. One of the most important things is that it works like a Windows Phone user would expect it to work. Using UX components that go against what Windows Phone users are used to is a mistake I see now and then. I don't know the app, but the UX is more important than whether there are accent colors and application bars used.

Good point. Of course, I have limitations on how "WP User friendly" I can make it, but it will be intuitive. A tutorial will come in 1.0 or 1.1 if anyone can't figure it out.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I finally have API access and development can continue. Due to this delay, we're looking at a febuary release and an update when 8.1 launches soon after.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss