Not many people know this...

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Every review I watch, they always complain about how scrolling through the app list is so long.

Until at least 45 apps are installed and the letters appear, it's a valid complaint. And FWIW, I would have to admit that I find WP's system less efficient than iPhone's or Android's in real life. It does require more scrolling, tapping, and searching overall. Beautiful, yes. Efficient, no.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Until at least 45 apps are installed and the letters appear, it's a valid complaint. And FWIW, I would have to admit that I find WP's system less efficient than iPhone's or Android's in real life. It does require more scrolling, tapping, and searching overall. Beautiful, yes. Efficient, no.

I somewhat disagree, only somewhat because it can be very personal. I don't like the "litter the home screen" approach, nor does the scrolling app drawer differ much from our list. Assuming I remember the name, WP works well, otherwise I'm doing the same as elsewhere, scrolling and looking at icons. :p

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
nor does the scrolling app drawer differ much from our list.

No, it doesn't differ much in theory. The difference is that on WP the app icon takes the entire width of the screen, which results in fewer apps being visible. On an Android or iPhone anywhere from 16 - 25 apps are visible at one time, on WP it's more like 8 - 12. I just know that in real world use I find that WP's system requires more scrolling, tapping, and searching overall. And currently I'm using WP and Android (920 & Nexus 5) side-by-side, so I'm up to date! :wink:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No, it doesn't differ much in theory. The difference is that on WP the app icon takes the entire width of the screen, which results in fewer apps being visible. On an Android or iPhone anywhere from 16 - 25 apps are visible at one time, on WP it's more like 8 - 12. I just know that in real world use I find that WP's system requires more scrolling, tapping, and searching overall. And currently I'm using WP and Android (920 & Nexus 5) side-by-side, so I'm up to date! :wink:
you want that why not just pin everything with a semi quarter tile? that way you can see at least 18 of them in one page.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Every review I watch, they always complain about how scrolling through the app list is so long.

that's because they are too dumb to fully figure a phone out before reviewing it.
Human nature causes immediate dismissal of anything it deems inferior vs. taking time to study and accept.

Thing that amazes me about the reviews is these phones have a Help+Tips app\shortcut in the list that is easily pinned.
I used this numerous times when first learning about WP8.

Evidently this is overlooked by many new users.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I always use this feature because I have over 110 apps installed on my phone. It makes the search real quick rather than scrolling through the entire list. I realized this at a very early stage when I bought my phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
46 is the number. When you add an app that becomes the 46th item on the app list, the jump list appears.

I was close at 45! What's interesting is that if you remove apps to make the total number 45 or less, the letters remain. So say you normally have less than 46 apps, but want the letters, simply install more apps until the letters appear. Remove the extra apps and you still have the letters.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was close at 45! What's interesting is that if you remove apps to make the total number 45 or less, the letters remain. So say you normally have less than 46 apps, but want the letters, simply install more apps until the letters appear. Remove the extra apps and you still have the letters.

This has been my experience, as well. I don't know if it is universal, though, because IIRC I've seen people post that they deleted enough to get rid of the jump list. Don't know how accurate that is, because I haven't had it happen. For me, though, it would take a lot of deleting to test this out. I have over 200 apps installed. :wink:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Even with the letters, the list can be very annoying to scroll through if you have a ton of apps.

Part of it is they are all single file so you don't get many on a page. (Mentioned above.)

The only reason is you don't always know what an app is called so the letters are not always helpful. For example is it Nokia Here Maps or just Here Maps? Not the best example as most of us have that pinned, but you get the idea...

It totally is a first world problem though. :smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb