01-01-2014 04:08 PM
65 123
tools
    If you haven't purchased any apps with your current account, i recommend you simply create a new account and start enjoying your new device.
    12-26-2013 10:03 PM
    If you haven't purchased any apps with your current account, i recommend you simply create a new account and start enjoying your new device.
    I have probably over $50 worth of apps on this account and over 200GB of space on SkyDrive. Creating a new account will be a major pain
    11B1P likes this.
    12-26-2013 10:43 PM
    Needless to say, my iPhone 5s is out of the drawer and my 1020 is in.
    Remember what Mr. Tipton said: "No self respecting Windows Phone owner has an iPhone in the drawer".

Oh wait... that was about grits.
    Last edited by Fuzzy John; 12-27-2013 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Make corrections.
    12-27-2013 03:41 AM
    A little over 48 hours. Still can't download apps.
    Since it's been 48 hours, have you wiped the phone and tried to set it up one more time? Also just a general question, do you have any Windows 8 PCs/Tablets? I have no idea if those count against your 5 device limit, but maybe there is a glitch there too?
    12-27-2013 10:01 AM
    yikes...given how often i change phones due to boredom and wanting a new colow(an 810, 2 8xs back in early 2013, 2 Lumia 920s, 2 lumias 1020s, and now the 1520)
    i hope i don't run into this issue. I better go check and see what phones I have registered lol
    12-27-2013 10:21 AM
    Got a replacement 1020 and when I tried to set it up, I got the error "You're already using your Microsoft account on the maximum number of devices. Sign in on windowsphone.com to see the phones allowed to this account". I logged in and saw two other phones I've had in the past (Lumia 925 and Lumia 928) there. I deleted the 925 and 928 since I don't have those any more, but still having same error.

Next, I deleted my Lumia 1020 from there, did a hard reset, ran setup; still same error.

I contact MS support and they say "well, it can take 72 hours for your phone to be deleted, so you have to wait" - talk about a huge WTF moment. I can't install any apps or restore from backup because once it tries to download any app, it gives that error and MS says they can't really do anything until I've waited at least 72 hours. Needless to say, my iPhone 5s is out of the drawer and my 1020 is in.
    Hey there, just give me the 928, and all your problems will disappear
    12-27-2013 10:29 AM
    Since it's been 48 hours, have you wiped the phone and tried to set it up one more time? Also just a general question, do you have any Windows 8 PCs/Tablets? I have no idea if those count against your 5 device limit, but maybe there is a glitch there too?
    Reset a couple times; still nothing. Venue 8 Pro, but that's it. I'm currently chatting with MS support. This is one gift that keeps on giving.
    All right. I can totally understand your frustration about this but phone registration resets take up to 30 days to apply to account
    I mention that I was told I had to wait 72 hours; she says "sorry, you were misinformed by the previous agent". Where are those saying this is somehow my fault?
    12-27-2013 11:16 AM
    Reset a couple times; still nothing. Venue 8 Pro, but that's it. I'm currently chatting with MS support. This is one gift that keeps on giving.

I mention that I was told I had to wait 72 hours; she says "sorry, you were misinformed by the previous agent". Where are those saying this is somehow my fault?
    Escalate! Escalate! Escalate!

This is unacceptable.
    John20212 likes this.
    12-27-2013 11:24 AM
    They aren't -- they're saying that they messed up by giving you bad information and they're apologizing for having done so.

To the best of my memory, removing a device from your account via the website should immediately let you add the new phone. However, I deal with four different types of phone linkages (for email sync, for apps, for developer unlocking, and for Xbox Music) and may by confused about this.

Good luck with the new agent and getting fully setup.
    12-27-2013 11:30 AM
    They aren't -- they're saying that they messed up by giving you bad information and they're apologizing for having done so.

To the best of my memory, removing a device from your account via the website should immediately let you add the new phone. However, I deal with four different types of phone linkages (for email sync, for apps, for developer unlocking, and for Xbox Music) and may by confused about this.

Good luck with the new agent and getting fully setup.
    I meant people on here. When I created the thread, there were some guys saying "it's your fault for not deleting phones from your account; this is a security feature etc"
    12-27-2013 11:42 AM
    yea this seems pretty dumb. I mean, are they srsly limiting the amount of WP you can own? don't they want to sell more phones??
    12-27-2013 12:01 PM
    This is something mandatory, and not really dumb at all. Not limiting the amount of windows phones allows rampant piracy. I could buy an app, and then use my Microsoft account to install it on all my friends phones. This would result in a heavy loss for the developers, wouldn't it?

With this in place, you can only link your ms account to a limited number of windows phones, thereby limiting piracy.
    12-27-2013 12:24 PM
    My problem is not with the policy, rather the implementation. Waiting 30 days is unacceptable.
    12-27-2013 12:33 PM
    My post was a reply to the above comment. I really have not given your original post a long read as yet. I just came across the post above mine in the recent tab in the wpcentral app so i was replying to him. I guess i should have used a quote.
    12-27-2013 12:43 PM
    This is something mandatory, and not really dumb at all. Not limiting the amount of windows phones allows rampant piracy. I could buy an app, and then use my Microsoft account to install it on all my friends phones. This would result in a heavy loss for the developers, wouldn't it?

With this in place, you can only link your ms account to a limited number of windows phones, thereby limiting piracy.
    As the OP said, that's not really what the issue is about.

The issue is that even if he removes the other devices, he still has to wait 72 hours to have his current phone be active.
    12-27-2013 12:58 PM
    sorry but this is under #1stworldproblems.
    mrappbrain likes this.
    12-27-2013 03:13 PM
    Sorry explosive but both microsoft people are wrong, this happens immediately has i have ran out of space on mine and fixed it immediately and yes this is your fault for not clearing it out ahead of time, but no it does not take 72 hrs or 30 days either. Is your phone updated? If not this could be a problem, try plugging into your computer and updating it manually to newest firmware and software and then reset phone and retry.
    12-27-2013 04:36 PM
    I have gone thru many phones on my Microsoft account sometimes not deleting old ones, I did receive this msg once in the last 3 years, but after removing the device I was able to add the new one right away, so I wiould imagine its just a website update thing with your account that it could take upto 72 hours to propagate.
    12-27-2013 05:46 PM
    I really find it hard to believe that you had to wait 30 days, like I have said once you delete devices from your Microsoft account you can add a new device right away. the only place where you would have to wait 30 days to add a new device is thru one of the services like xbox music or something.
    12-27-2013 05:49 PM
    First world problems...

I need more phones!!
    12-27-2013 06:51 PM
    What you've gotten from Microsoft so far just seems totally unacceptable to me, and I would definitely escalate any way that you can find. Twitter, Facebook, and any direct contacts that you may have.
    12-27-2013 07:20 PM
    I really find it hard to believe that you had to wait 30 days, like I have said once you delete devices from your Microsoft account you can add a new device right away. the only place where you would have to wait 30 days to add a new device is thru one of the services like xbox music or something.
    Still find it hard to believe?

msft1.png

msft2.png
    12-27-2013 08:04 PM
    Set up a temporary account??? No, like I said, this is not acceptable. You need to escalate the call.
    12-27-2013 08:06 PM
    This is a real PITA. I've known about this since day 1 but every now and then, I forget. Nothing says dumbass like a month-long reminder to keep up with your devices.
    12-27-2013 08:12 PM
    Set up a temporary account??? No, like I said, this is not acceptable. You need to escalate the call.
    I already did. I have to wait 3-5 days for a response. I've taken to twitter and waiting for a response.
    12-27-2013 08:18 PM
65 123