01-01-2014 04:08 PM
65 123
tools
    I've done this multiple times there is no wait that agent has no idea what their talking about I have 5 devices right now on there and I buy new ones all the time and switch them. Wrong info. Agents may be dumb but most likely you got caught in a glitch.
    12-27-2013 10:00 PM
    I've done this multiple times there is no wait that agent has no idea what their talking about I have 5 devices right now on there and I buy new ones all the time and switch them. Wrong info. Agents may be dumb but most likely you got caught in a glitch.
    Apparently not. This is the response I got after escalating the case:
    Hello Doug,

My name is Tom with Microsoft Support and I am contacting you regarding your issue of reaching the maximum number of devices associated with your Microsoft Account. Your service request number for this case is 122XXXXXXX. I understand how concerning issues like this can be and will work with you in order to get this issue resolve.

I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated. You will need to wait the 30 days before you will be able to add your replacement phone to your account.

Since there are no additional steps we can take at this time, we will go ahead and archive this case. If you have any additional questions, you can reply to this email and re-open the case and we will answer your questions as quickly as possible. Have a wonderful day.

Regards,
    Tom B.
    Microsoft Support
    I give up officially on Windows Phone. Will probably try again in another year. I'll still lurk around the forums though.
    01-01-2014 12:49 PM
    What a stupid policy. MS will never win the war against Apple and Google with policies like this.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk
    01-01-2014 01:30 PM
    Just deleted a 1020 from a few months ago. At least MSFT lets you delete them I do not think android lets you delete them but I think they fall off after a while.
    01-01-2014 01:53 PM
    Apparently not. This is the response I got after escalating the case:

I give up officially on Windows Phone. Will probably try again in another year. I'll still lurk around the forums though.
    That's just a plain dumb policy.
    01-01-2014 02:01 PM
    Share this thread via social media. This isn't an acceptable explanation or solution. https://twitter.com/winningguy/statu...74157924290561
    explosive0 likes this.
    01-01-2014 02:02 PM
    Question, and I'm being 100% serious:

How many of you who are commenting and complaining about this have actually verified that what explosive0 is accurate or normal? By that I mean you've personally experienced this "72 hour waiting policy"?

I change phones all the time. Just added a Lumia 1320 to my account and another phone I'm testing, in addition to my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520. Took off my Ativ S Neo and Lumia 920.

THERE WAS NO WAITING PERIOD.

In fact, I do this all the time and I have never had to wait 72 hours. It was always instant. And yes, I wait until I hit the limit and get the message "You're using too many devices...go to your Account...blah blah" and then I delete. So, before we get the pitchforks out, has anyone one else besides the OP experienced this? Because it is not routine nor Microsoft's policy. None of us on the WPCentral staff have had this problem either.

There's only one policy I'm aware of: 5 phones limited to the account, and 4 for Xbox Music Pass.
    cckgz4, Sean Miller4 and xandros9 like this.
    01-01-2014 02:17 PM
    Question, and I'm being 100% serious:

How many of you who are commenting and complaining about this have actually verified that what explosive0 is accurate or normal?

I change phones all the time. Just added a Lumia 1320 to my account and another phone I'm testing, in addition to my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520. Took off my Ativ S Neo and Lumia 920.

THERE WAS NO WAITING PERIOD.

In fact, I do this all the time and I have never had to wait 72 hours. It was always instant. So, before we get the pitchforks out, has anyone one else besides the OP experienced this? Because it is not routine nor Microsoft's policy. None of us on the WPCentral staff have had this problem either.
    Daniel,
    I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here by asking if anyone has verified if what I'm experiencing is "accurate...". If you read through the tread, you'll see someone has had the same issue in the past:
    I had this issue last year too. It took me a month and an email to Steve Ballmer in order to get it fixed.
    I'm just posting what Microsoft is telling me. Instead of taking your rage out at me with all CAPS, you should be pissed at Microsoft. If in fact this is unusual and I'm getting subpar customer service and wrong information from numerous support reps (even after the case has been escalated), then they have bigger issues to worry about.

screen-shot-2014-01-01-2.23.07-pm.png
    Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2014-01-01-2.23.07-pm.png  
    01-01-2014 02:21 PM
    Daniel,
    I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here by asking if anyone has verified if what I'm experiencing is "accurate...". If you read through the tread, you'll see someone has had the same issue in the past:

I'm just posting what Microsoft is telling me. Instead of taking your rage out at me with all CAPS, you should be pissed at Microsoft. If in fact this is unusual and I'm getting subpar customer service and wrong information from numerous support reps (even after the case has been escalated), then they have bigger issues to worry about.
    Not doubting your claim nor your complaint about Microsoft service. Simply stating that this "72 hour waiting period" is not normal or routine, which is what IS being insinuated here or what others are taking away.

Yes, customer service can suck. I'm not apologizing for that as I'm not Microsoft. But there isn't a single company in tech that hasn't had an issue or two that has effected users. My concern is how widespread it is and the general impact. As far as I can tell, this is a very rare and isolated incident.

Also, now I'm seeing this: "I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated."

Are you trying to use Xbox Music Pass or download apps? Because the Music Pass always has had a limit of switching out only 2 devices every 30 days. That's due to copyright requirements and the record companies, though you can do it dynamically by using the new Xbox Music App.

"If you want to change the computers or devices that are associated with your Xbox Music Pass (for example, say you replace your home computer), you can swap out two computers or devices every 30 days."
    So which is it that you are trying to use?
    cckgz4 likes this.
    01-01-2014 02:29 PM
    Not doubting your claim nor your complaint about Microsoft service. Simply stating that this "72 hour waiting period" is not normal or routine, which is what IS being insinuated here or what others are taking away.

Yes, customer service can suck. I'm not apologizing for that as I'm not Microsoft. But there isn't a single company in tech that hasn't had an issue or two that has effected users. My concern is how widespread it is and the general impact. As far as I can tell, this is a very rare and isolated incident.

Also, now I'm seeing this: "I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated."

Are you trying to use Xbox Music Pass or download apps? Because the Music Pass always has had a limit of switching out only 2 devices every 30 days. That's due to copyright requirements and the record companies, though you can do it dynamically by using the new Xbox Music App.

So which is it that you are trying to use?
    I'm trying to install apps. I got a warranty replacement for my 1020, and started getting this error. I contacted MS Support and they first suggested I delete every phone from my account, and do a hard reset on my phone. Guess what that meant? Deleting all the phones from my profile deletes all associated backups, and I have a 1020 that I can only use to make calls since I can't install any apps. I've contacted MS support about 5 or 6 times since this issue came up. I waited the initial 72 hours (of course I was very upset, but I could do 3 days) but continued to have the same issue. I contacted support again and was told that in fact the previous rep provided wrong information, that I have to wait 30 days instead of 72 hours.

Attachment 52936

Attachment 52937
    01-01-2014 02:41 PM
    I'm trying to install apps. I got a warranty replacement for my 1020, and started getting this error. I contacted MS Support and they first suggested I delete every phone from my account, and do a hard reset on my phone. Guess what that meant? Deleting all the phones from my profile deletes all associated backups, and I have a 1020 that I can only use to make calls since I can't install any apps.
    Someone is getting confused here on MS's end. For adding/removing phones from your Windows Phone account, there are no waiting periods at all. There is only a 5-device limit. Before I jumped in this thread, I deleted 2 phones and added one new one (which was giving me the "limit" error). I didn't even have to soft reset the phone, it just started downloading my apps. Hard resets are never required or needed (unless you're changing your Live ID, of course). I do this a few times a month with no issues. Always have.

For Xbox Music, there is 30 day limit with only 2 devices being swapped out. THAT is what it sounds like they are talking about, erroneously, in this situation. It's also true that they can't bypass it. They used to be able to on Windows Phone 7.x days, but once Zune became Xbox Music, they lost that functionality. Even I can't get them to bypass that, (but the new Xbox Music app works around this, somehow).

Regarding your specific situation, honestly I have no idea. Something is wrong with your provisioned account or Microsoft ID. There is no waiting period for adding phones to your WP account. And unless you had 5 other Windows Phones registered and you wanted to add a sixth, there should be no limit/error messages at all. Yet you only had the 1020, 928 and 925 on there (three devices), which means you should never have hit that wall in the first place.

So something is very wrong here. Frankly, I don't know what will even happen past 30 days as that should not be a factor at all in this situation. You are using just one primary login for Live/Microsoft ID, right?
    01-01-2014 02:58 PM
    Someone is getting confused here on MS's end. For adding/removing phones from your Windows Phone account, there are no waiting periods at all. There is only a 5-device limit. Before I jumped in this thread, I deleted 2 phones and added one new one (which was giving me the "limit" error). I didn't even have to soft reset the phone, it just started downloading my apps. Hard resets are never required or needed (unless you're changing your Live ID, of course). I do this a few times a month with no issues. Always have.

For Xbox Music, there is 30 day limit with only 2 devices being swapped out. THAT is what it sounds like they are talking about, erroneously, in this situation. It's also true that they can't bypass it. They used to be able to on Windows Phone 7.x days, but once Zune became Xbox Music, they lost that functionality. Even I can't get them to bypass that, (but the new Xbox Music app works around this, somehow).

Regarding your specific situation, honestly I have no idea. Something is wrong with your provisioned account or Microsoft ID. There is no waiting period for adding phones to your WP account. And unless you had 5 other Windows Phones registered and you wanted to add a sixth, there should be no limit/error messages at all. Yet you only had the 1020, 928 and 925 on there (three devices), which means you should never have hit that wall in the first place.

So something is very wrong here. Frankly, I don't know what will even happen past 30 days as that should not be a factor at all in this situation. You are using just one primary login for Live/Microsoft ID, right?
    Yes, I'm using just one Live/Microsoft ID. I tried explaining to the reps I contacted but they all seemed to respond with the 30 day wait. It's just really frustrating. O well...
    01-01-2014 03:13 PM
    Yes, I'm using just one Live/Microsoft ID. I tried explaining to the reps I contacted but they all seemed to respond with the 30 day wait. It's just really frustrating. O well...
    One last, admittedly dumb question: did you put a SIM in and set the time/date correctly? Because that can cause lots of Account errors too.
    01-01-2014 03:21 PM
    This happened to me few times in the beginning when messing around with WP7 devices. If the sim-card is not in, it cant get correct time/date from the network. I didnt think about that and tried to setup my device but couldnt log in, only getting an error. This also seems to confuse people from time to time, they come and say that you need to have a card in to activate your device. Thats not true, you can setup any WP device just using wlan without a sim-card, just make sure you have set the corect time and date.
    Last edited by Loco5150; 01-01-2014 at 04:52 PM.
    01-01-2014 03:29 PM
    Hmm this is weird, but for some reason I can't seem to find the option to remove a device anymore.

Update: Never mind, found it under "Account Settings".
    Last edited by thinkdan; 01-01-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Update
    01-01-2014 04:08 PM
65 123