Wow. This is really stupid from MS.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Got a replacement 1020 and when I tried to set it up, I got the error "You're already using your Microsoft account on the maximum number of devices. Sign in on windowsphone.com to see the phones allowed to this account". I logged in and saw two other phones I've had in the past (Lumia 925 and Lumia 928) there. I deleted the 925 and 928 since I don't have those any more, but still having same error.

Next, I deleted my Lumia 1020 from there, did a hard reset, ran setup; still same error.

I contact MS support and they say "well, it can take 72 hours for your phone to be deleted, so you have to wait" - talk about a huge WTF moment. I can't install any apps or restore from backup because once it tries to download any app, it gives that error and MS says they can't really do anything until I've waited at least 72 hours. Needless to say, my iPhone 5s is out of the drawer and my 1020 is in.

Last edited:

ArthJar

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I reckon this is annoying, but it's just security features.
Try to lock your iDevice and you will get the same security bs.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
That does suck. Not sure why MS has this restriction. It only puts you in a bad spot, no 1020 for 72 hours and you have to use an iPhone instead, ick!

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I reckon this is annoying, but it's just security features.
Try to lock your iDevice and you will get the same security bs.

What security feature exactly and what purpose does this serve? It's not like there's any sort of validation step. And I'm not sure what you mean by "try to lock your iDevice...", but I can't think of any scenario where I'll be going through this on my iPhone or iPad, unless I don't know my iTunes password (assuming you're somehow referring to the activation lock feature)

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Just do some maintenance on your account and delete old devices and you'll never run into this "issue".

And yes, this restriction is necessary. Otherwise many people would share one account and apps would only be purchased once.

jimkraz

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just checked on windowsphone.com, I had four phone registered, I deleted the ones I no longer have and kept the two I did have, but it did let me have four. DennisvdG, hover over you name after sign in, pop out will show your phones registered, click on the ones you no longer have, remove option will show, there you have it. Jim

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What security feature exactly and what purpose does this serve? It's not like there's any sort of validation step. And I'm not sure what you mean by "try to lock your iDevice...", but I can't think of any scenario where I'll be going through this on my iPhone or iPad, unless I don't know my iTunes password (assuming you're somehow referring to the activation lock feature)
No, its not for security reason.
Its for that you can share apps to 5 devices at a time. Although this feature itself has not up to the promise since day 1.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just do some maintenance on your account and delete old devices and you'll never run into this "issue".

And yes, this restriction is necessary. Otherwise many people would share one account and apps would only be purchased once.
Put down the MS kookaid for a minute. It's an issue, especially if I have to wait 72 hours, and read a few posts above yours, you'll see someone who had to deal with this for over a month. I'm sure that's still not an issue to you.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

That really isn't a good solution at all. Nobody actually KNOWS about that limitation until this exact thing happens, and then it's too late.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
That really isn't a good solution at all. Nobody actually KNOWS about that limitation until this exact thing happens, and then it's too late.

That information is all spelled out quite clearly. Can't blame MSFT or Nokia for an individual not reading what they signing up for. For those it does happen to they quickly find out. Also, given the number of people this would happen to is quite small. Take the OP as example. It looks as if they are getting a new phone every three to four months.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
What? I had Omnia 7, HTC 7 Pro, Titan, L920 and Ativ-S on my account without any problems. Some of them multiple times. Since I have deleted all old ones, but I never got any notifications about maximum number of devices.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That information is all spelled out quite clearly. Can't blame MSFT or Nokia for an individual not reading what they signing up for. For those it does happen to they quickly find out. Also, given the number of people this would happen to is quite small. Take the OP as example. It looks as if they are getting a new phone every three to four months.

Come on. I'm a huge Microsoft ****** but doesn't mean I lack the ability to call somethig out as flawed. There is no way you can say a user should know better... no way. I'm not saying the policy of only having 5 devices on an account is flawed... it's the technical implimentation of that policy that is bunk. There is no way that somebody setting up a new phone should have to browse to some clunky website to remove an old device and potentially have to wait 72 hours to use their phone.

That process should be seemless and should take place on the device during setup. I ran into the exact same thing with XBox Music. I cracked my 928 but had a spare 928 which I fired up and setup. The live account worked fine but i was at my Zune/XBox music limit which I had to go to a clunky website on my phone to remove my old device and then I had to wipe my phone and set it up again to get it to work right away. (I think it said I could have waited 24 hours and it would just have magically worked but I was heading to the airport and needed tunes on my phone for the plane.)

It was no big deal for me because I do this stuff all the time because I'm always swithing platforms for my job, but I cringe at the prospect of normies running into this stuff down the road.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I just checked on windowsphone.com, I had four phone registered, I deleted the ones I no longer have and kept the two I did have, but it did let me have four. DennisvdG, hover over you name after sign in, pop out will show your phones registered, click on the ones you no longer have, remove option will show, there you have it. Jim

Thanks , it doesn't work on ie from my 920, need to use desktop... ( why does ie have to blow so much :'()

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb