Wow. This is really stupid from MS.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on windowsphone.com, I had four phone registered, I deleted the ones I no longer have and kept the two I did have, but it did let me have four. DennisvdG, hover over you name after sign in, pop out will show your phones registered, click on the ones you no longer have, remove option will show, there you have it. Jim

Guess what I just did as well.....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the limitation of using your account on 4 phones is too much of a problem.

The problem is that the lay person won't discover it until they've reached the limit, and they have to wait 72 hours to fix it.

MS has to know that regular people don't read through the TOS. They just don't.

When they hit this problem, most people will be perfectly fine accepting that they can't use it on more than 4 devices. They don't even own their old devices anymore.

But when they're told it takes 72 hours to fix itself... well, that becomes a problem. At that point, to the consumer it's not about the TOS, it's about customer service.

When MS gets a call from a customer on this issue, they need to have a way to get this fixed. You don't want your customer service reps telling people that they'll have to wait 72 hours. Instead, the rep should say, "Hold on while I fix that for you. There. Done. You're good to go. Thank you SOOOO MUCH for being a loyal Microsoft customer."

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
There's a sticky note on the databases server:

"Reboot every 72 hours, if unsure, reboot!"

And homer presses the button when he remembers?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
If you haven't purchased any apps with your current account, i recommend you simply create a new account and start enjoying your new device.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If you haven't purchased any apps with your current account, i recommend you simply create a new account and start enjoying your new device.
I have probably over $50 worth of apps on this account and over 200GB of space on SkyDrive. Creating a new account will be a major pain

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
A little over 48 hours. Still can't download apps.

Since it's been 48 hours, have you wiped the phone and tried to set it up one more time? Also just a general question, do you have any Windows 8 PCs/Tablets? I have no idea if those count against your 5 device limit, but maybe there is a glitch there too?

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
yikes...given how often i change phones due to boredom and wanting a new colow(an 810, 2 8xs back in early 2013, 2 Lumia 920s, 2 lumias 1020s, and now the 1520)
i hope i don't run into this issue. I better go check and see what phones I have registered lol

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Got a replacement 1020 and when I tried to set it up, I got the error "You're already using your Microsoft account on the maximum number of devices. Sign in on windowsphone.com to see the phones allowed to this account". I logged in and saw two other phones I've had in the past (Lumia 925 and Lumia 928) there. I deleted the 925 and 928 since I don't have those any more, but still having same error.

Next, I deleted my Lumia 1020 from there, did a hard reset, ran setup; still same error.

I contact MS support and they say "well, it can take 72 hours for your phone to be deleted, so you have to wait" - talk about a huge WTF moment. I can't install any apps or restore from backup because once it tries to download any app, it gives that error and MS says they can't really do anything until I've waited at least 72 hours. Needless to say, my iPhone 5s is out of the drawer and my 1020 is in.

Hey there, just give me the 928, and all your problems will disappear

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Since it's been 48 hours, have you wiped the phone and tried to set it up one more time? Also just a general question, do you have any Windows 8 PCs/Tablets? I have no idea if those count against your 5 device limit, but maybe there is a glitch there too?
Reset a couple times; still nothing. Venue 8 Pro, but that's it. I'm currently chatting with MS support. This is one gift that keeps on giving.
All right. I can totally understand your frustration about this but phone registration resets take up to 30 days to apply to account
I mention that I was told I had to wait 72 hours; she says "sorry, you were misinformed by the previous agent". Where are those saying this is somehow my fault?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Reset a couple times; still nothing. Venue 8 Pro, but that's it. I'm currently chatting with MS support. This is one gift that keeps on giving.

I mention that I was told I had to wait 72 hours; she says "sorry, you were misinformed by the previous agent". Where are those saying this is somehow my fault?

Escalate! Escalate! Escalate!

This is unacceptable.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
They aren't -- they're saying that they messed up by giving you bad information and they're apologizing for having done so.

To the best of my memory, removing a device from your account via the website should immediately let you add the new phone. However, I deal with four different types of phone linkages (for email sync, for apps, for developer unlocking, and for Xbox Music) and may by confused about this.

Good luck with the new agent and getting fully setup.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
They aren't -- they're saying that they messed up by giving you bad information and they're apologizing for having done so.

To the best of my memory, removing a device from your account via the website should immediately let you add the new phone. However, I deal with four different types of phone linkages (for email sync, for apps, for developer unlocking, and for Xbox Music) and may by confused about this.

Good luck with the new agent and getting fully setup.
I meant people on here. When I created the thread, there were some guys saying "it's your fault for not deleting phones from your account; this is a security feature etc"

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
yea this seems pretty dumb. I mean, are they srsly limiting the amount of WP you can own? don't they want to sell more phones??

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
This is something mandatory, and not really dumb at all. Not limiting the amount of windows phones allows rampant piracy. I could buy an app, and then use my Microsoft account to install it on all my friends phones. This would result in a heavy loss for the developers, wouldn't it?

With this in place, you can only link your ms account to a limited number of windows phones, thereby limiting piracy.

mrappbrain

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
My post was a reply to the above comment. I really have not given your original post a long read as yet. I just came across the post above mine in the recent tab in the wpcentral app so i was replying to him. I guess i should have used a quote.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This is something mandatory, and not really dumb at all. Not limiting the amount of windows phones allows rampant piracy. I could buy an app, and then use my Microsoft account to install it on all my friends phones. This would result in a heavy loss for the developers, wouldn't it?

With this in place, you can only link your ms account to a limited number of windows phones, thereby limiting piracy.

As the OP said, that's not really what the issue is about.

The issue is that even if he removes the other devices, he still has to wait 72 hours to have his current phone be active.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon