Wow. This is really stupid from MS.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Sorry explosive but both microsoft people are wrong, this happens immediately has i have ran out of space on mine and fixed it immediately and yes this is your fault for not clearing it out ahead of time, but no it does not take 72 hrs or 30 days either. Is your phone updated? If not this could be a problem, try plugging into your computer and updating it manually to newest firmware and software and then reset phone and retry.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have gone thru many phones on my Microsoft account sometimes not deleting old ones, I did receive this msg once in the last 3 years, but after removing the device I was able to add the new one right away, so I wiould imagine its just a website update thing with your account that it could take upto 72 hours to propagate.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I really find it hard to believe that you had to wait 30 days, like I have said once you delete devices from your Microsoft account you can add a new device right away. the only place where you would have to wait 30 days to add a new device is thru one of the services like xbox music or something.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What you've gotten from Microsoft so far just seems totally unacceptable to me, and I would definitely escalate any way that you can find. Twitter, Facebook, and any direct contacts that you may have.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really find it hard to believe that you had to wait 30 days, like I have said once you delete devices from your Microsoft account you can add a new device right away. the only place where you would have to wait 30 days to add a new device is thru one of the services like xbox music or something.
Still find it hard to believe?

msft1.PNG

msft2.PNG

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is a real PITA. I've known about this since day 1 but every now and then, I forget. Nothing says dumbass like a month-long reminder to keep up with your devices.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I've done this multiple times there is no wait that agent has no idea what their talking about I have 5 devices right now on there and I buy new ones all the time and switch them. Wrong info. Agents may be dumb but most likely you got caught in a glitch.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've done this multiple times there is no wait that agent has no idea what their talking about I have 5 devices right now on there and I buy new ones all the time and switch them. Wrong info. Agents may be dumb but most likely you got caught in a glitch.
Apparently not. This is the response I got after escalating the case:
Hello Doug,

My name is Tom with Microsoft Support and I am contacting you regarding your issue of reaching the maximum number of devices associated with your Microsoft Account. Your service request number for this case is 122XXXXXXX. I understand how concerning issues like this can be and will work with you in order to get this issue resolve.

I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated. You will need to wait the 30 days before you will be able to add your replacement phone to your account.

Since there are no additional steps we can take at this time, we will go ahead and archive this case. If you have any additional questions, you can reply to this email and re-open the case and we will answer your questions as quickly as possible. Have a wonderful day.

Regards,
Tom B.
Microsoft Support
I give up officially on Windows Phone. Will probably try again in another year. I'll still lurk around the forums though.

5150 Joker

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
What a stupid policy. MS will never win the war against Apple and Google with policies like this.

Sent from my RM-937_apac_hong_kong_222 using Tapatalk

planoman

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
Just deleted a 1020 from a few months ago. At least MSFT lets you delete them I do not think android lets you delete them but I think they fall off after a while.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Question, and I'm being 100% serious:

How many of you who are commenting and complaining about this have actually verified that what explosive0 is accurate or normal? By that I mean you've personally experienced this "72 hour waiting policy"?

I change phones all the time. Just added a Lumia 1320 to my account and another phone I'm testing, in addition to my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520. Took off my Ativ S Neo and Lumia 920.

THERE WAS NO WAITING PERIOD.

In fact, I do this all the time and I have never had to wait 72 hours. It was always instant. And yes, I wait until I hit the limit and get the message "You're using too many devices...go to your Account...blah blah" and then I delete. So, before we get the pitchforks out, has anyone one else besides the OP experienced this? Because it is not routine nor Microsoft's policy. None of us on the WPCentral staff have had this problem either.

There's only one policy I'm aware of: 5 phones limited to the account, and 4 for Xbox Music Pass.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Question, and I'm being 100% serious:

How many of you who are commenting and complaining about this have actually verified that what explosive0 is accurate or normal?

I change phones all the time. Just added a Lumia 1320 to my account and another phone I'm testing, in addition to my Lumia 1020 and Lumia 1520. Took off my Ativ S Neo and Lumia 920.

THERE WAS NO WAITING PERIOD.

In fact, I do this all the time and I have never had to wait 72 hours. It was always instant. So, before we get the pitchforks out, has anyone one else besides the OP experienced this? Because it is not routine nor Microsoft's policy. None of us on the WPCentral staff have had this problem either.
Daniel,
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here by asking if anyone has verified if what I'm experiencing is "accurate...". If you read through the tread, you'll see someone has had the same issue in the past:
I had this issue last year too. It took me a month and an email to Steve Ballmer in order to get it fixed.

I'm just posting what Microsoft is telling me. Instead of taking your rage out at me with all CAPS, you should be pissed at Microsoft. If in fact this is unusual and I'm getting subpar customer service and wrong information from numerous support reps (even after the case has been escalated), then they have bigger issues to worry about.

Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 2.23.07 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 2.23.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-01 at 2.23.07 PM.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 3

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Daniel,
I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate here by asking if anyone has verified if what I'm experiencing is "accurate...". If you read through the tread, you'll see someone has had the same issue in the past:

I'm just posting what Microsoft is telling me. Instead of taking your rage out at me with all CAPS, you should be pissed at Microsoft. If in fact this is unusual and I'm getting subpar customer service and wrong information from numerous support reps (even after the case has been escalated), then they have bigger issues to worry about.
Not doubting your claim nor your complaint about Microsoft service. Simply stating that this "72 hour waiting period" is not normal or routine, which is what IS being insinuated here or what others are taking away.

Yes, customer service can suck. I'm not apologizing for that as I'm not Microsoft. But there isn't a single company in tech that hasn't had an issue or two that has effected users. My concern is how widespread it is and the general impact. As far as I can tell, this is a very rare and isolated incident.

Also, now I'm seeing this: "I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated."

Are you trying to use Xbox Music Pass or download apps? Because the Music Pass always has had a limit of switching out only 2 devices every 30 days. That's due to copyright requirements and the record companies, though you can do it dynamically by using the new Xbox Music App.

"If you want to change the computers or devices that are associated with your Xbox Music Pass (for example, say you replace your home computer), you can swap out two computers or devices every 30 days."

So which is it that you are trying to use?

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not doubting your claim nor your complaint about Microsoft service. Simply stating that this "72 hour waiting period" is not normal or routine, which is what IS being insinuated here or what others are taking away.

Yes, customer service can suck. I'm not apologizing for that as I'm not Microsoft. But there isn't a single company in tech that hasn't had an issue or two that has effected users. My concern is how widespread it is and the general impact. As far as I can tell, this is a very rare and isolated incident.

Also, now I'm seeing this: "I am afraid that the 30 day delay in changing devices associated with a Microsoft Account is not something that can be accelerated."

Are you trying to use Xbox Music Pass or download apps? Because the Music Pass always has had a limit of switching out only 2 devices every 30 days. That's due to copyright requirements and the record companies, though you can do it dynamically by using the new Xbox Music App.

So which is it that you are trying to use?
I'm trying to install apps. I got a warranty replacement for my 1020, and started getting this error. I contacted MS Support and they first suggested I delete every phone from my account, and do a hard reset on my phone. Guess what that meant? Deleting all the phones from my profile deletes all associated backups, and I have a 1020 that I can only use to make calls since I can't install any apps. I've contacted MS support about 5 or 6 times since this issue came up. I waited the initial 72 hours (of course I was very upset, but I could do 3 days) but continued to have the same issue. I contacted support again and was told that in fact the previous rep provided wrong information, that I have to wait 30 days instead of 72 hours.

View attachment 52936

View attachment 52937

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05