12-29-2013 11:23 AM
62 123
tools
    I'd really love to see "Download in the Windows Phone Store" logo beside the two giants in every app ad in 2014. When that moment reaches we can assume that the app gap is finally closed.
    12-27-2013 04:45 AM
    I'd really love to see "Download in the Windows Phone Store" logo beside the two giants in every app ad in 2014. When that moment reaches we can assume that the app gap is finally closed.
    Yeah.. True..
    12-27-2013 05:00 AM
    Put it this way, the new features coming to the OS will give people less reason to moan and complain about the OS, but like already mentioned - you can have the most polished and up together OS, people will still complain about it and find "problems". That goes with anything in life. There will always be people who go against the grain and have something to say about something so they feel like the smartest person in the room.

But yeah, 2014 is shippi up to be very good for MS.
    12-27-2013 05:36 AM
    Google is afraid of WP that's why he doesn't release google apps to wp8 and that means a lot .

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk
    12-27-2013 05:45 AM
    Yes its completely possible.

I'll buy a wp this year, hell maybe two, or even three, when the os allows me to do everything android does.

I love competition in Mobile software, and want more of it. Right now, Android doesn't have competition. Apple doesn't care. They both have their cake and nothing to worry about. I want that to change, and make all the platforms WORK for the prize.
    WP absolutely destroys android in its current state and it will only get better in the future. You may want to make the jump on board like the rest of us have.
    12-27-2013 06:45 AM
    That is absolutely key. Not only will we have the ear of all developers, but the consumer's mindset will change when it sees the Windows logo beside the robot and the fruit.
    12-27-2013 07:01 AM
    The 2nd half of 2013 was the year that WP caught up. 2014 is the year we push on ahead.
    12-27-2013 07:49 AM
    We will get quad core with 1080p, while android will have that but with even higher resolution than 1080p.
    Does anyone realize that quad core phones are really dumb? Most of the time, only 2 cores are being used.
    12-27-2013 08:35 AM
    Catch up in 2014? No. Vastly continue market share? Let's hope so.

Let's be realistic. It's taken a couple years for WP to get where it's at now. It isn't going to envelop an additional 10-15% market share in the next twelve months. Android continues to pull out all the stops and Apple is sitting on TONS of cash. They know they didn't impress with the iPhone 5s/c and are going to get back into fighting shape, especially after being rewarded with some spiffy patents over the past couple months and growth for their overpriced tablets/laptops. The paid off media will cream their pants and iSheep everywhere will rejoice. And let's face it, the iPhone is still the "it" thing to have for tweens and teens. Looking around, it's easy to notice that if you're a kid and don't have an iPhone the peer pressure is pretty astounding, at least in the USA. If you have something else you might as well just recede back into the corner and sing Subdivisions by Rush. Ah, to be young, dumb, and naive.

It's all up to Microsoft. Many people outside of the U.S. have WP because of Nokia. With the handset division bought out, Microsoft has to give Nokia sheep a reason to stay on board. After that, they just have to continue to appease everyone. They must market smartly, cannot have haplessly incompetent PR, and continue to give reasons for developers and companies to port their apps over to WP. Yeah, I know, not Microsoft's strong suit. Obviously I want MS and WP to grow and succeed, but MS does dumb things, like improves their own products on other platforms before their own, and then remove things like Flickr/Facebook photo integration from the Photo Hub on Windows 8.1. GGGAAAHHH!!! It makes me pull my f**cking hair out. It always seems like one step forward one step back with those guys.

There are three major things MS needs to do to get MS on same market share as the others:

• Continue to get good quality first party apps
    • Change perceptions. WP must work to continue to change the mindset of the media, the carriers, and the people selling these phones
    • Offer people options that are missing from the other platforms and then market them so (please stop the pointless, zero content ads)

ALL consumers, WP users or not, should want WP to grow. More options = more competition = better / more inexpensive options for the consumer
    12-27-2013 08:37 AM
    "The year that WP catches up with iOS and Android."

Do you realize how much of a step that would be? This platform, nor MSFT is ready for such a move. looking at the other end of the spectrum. Do you realize how much of a fall that would mean for AAPL and Sammy? Neither would allow such a move to happen. Such a move either way would put the entire industry in complete chaos.
    12-27-2013 08:40 AM
    Does anyone realize that quad core phones are really dumb? Most of the time, only 2 cores are being used.

in wp8 and IOS only because they freeze background apps. Android run a lot of apps at a time so that's why it needs more ram and CPU power . Look note 3 . I saw a YouTube video which was running 10 apps at the same time in the Same screen . Wp8 and IOS can't do that .

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk
    12-27-2013 08:50 AM
    Its possible for this to happen. I really cant wait to see how Microsoft is going to incorporate their digital assistant. I respect them for keeping it at home by naming it "Cortana". That scores them a point. Hopefully the integration with WP8 and Windows RT will be something spectacular.
    12-27-2013 08:52 AM
    WP absolutely destroys android in its current state and it will only get better in the future. You may want to make the jump on board like the rest of us have.
    A nice opinion, but I'll wait for the features that I use everyday in android to make it before I do any jumping.

Thanks to forums like this, I can see the things still missing in each release.
    12-27-2013 09:17 AM
    Well put. App numbers on either side are meaningless unless the developers themselves see the three platforms on a significant enough footing to make simultaneous releases, or at the very least simultaneous announcements.
    12-27-2013 09:26 AM
    With GDR3 and 8.1 coming in the next few months, there is definitely the potential for a lot of catching up. Certainly they seem to have crossed off a lot of the missing feature punch list, but questions will remain as to how well the fixes were implemented. Things like rotation lock, discrete volume control, and text ringtones are basics that should never have been left out, and if they aren't done right it will hurt the brand.

Fixing live tiles and notifications is a big part of catching up. The live tile system is pretty much broken, most 3rd party tiles are unreliable, and even some 1st party and partner ones can't be trusted. If I can't trust bing weather to have recent data, then the system is a joke. Given how good notifications are iphone and android, we really need a system with similar power. We also need developers on board to actually take advantage of the potential live tiles offer, too many of them are stuck in the iphone mentality of static icons.

There are still gaping holes in the app library too. We still don't have HBO Go, WatchESPN, NBC Live Extra, or Xfinity TV Go. There are lots of "official apps" that haven't made their way to Windows Phone. Even if their functionality is questionable, the more times consumers hear "download on iphone or android", the more they think Windows Phone isn't a contender.
    12-27-2013 10:51 AM
    Im sure Samsung knows that the numbers game of "100 cores" and whatnot cant last. Unless of course there is real function for it. (Photoshop on the phone? :D)
    The strategy of adding more and more cores DOES have a function. Its function is to brute force eliminate the lag and slow downs due to a combination of terrible Android code and probably worse Samsung code. My concern is that by the time they finally succeed in getting a Galaxy device to operate as smoothly as a Windows Phone, the Galaxy device will be the size of a desktop computer.
    12-27-2013 11:10 AM
    Fixing live tiles and notifications is a big part of catching up. The live tile system is pretty much broken, most 3rd party tiles are unreliable, and even some 1st party and partner ones can't be trusted.
    Warning: Long, rambling, semi-off-topic rant about Background Tasks follows.

I'm not convinced that the system is broken, but it certainly doesn't convey information to users about why things aren't working. Since many tiles are updated by tasks on the phone itself (rather than server-side pushes), the whole "background task" issue needs to be addressed.

One of my big complaints with it is the term "background tasks" itself (in the Settings app) to refer to tasks that are scheduled to run every once in a while. The general public already has a different understanding of that term (i.e., tasks that are in memory and doing things while not currently displaying on screen). Given that the term already has a meaning, Microsoft should not have tried to redefine it. They recognized this from the developer's perspective and called the things "periodic tasks," which is what they are (started periodically and then shut down -- all independent of the main app that contains such "applets").

The second complaint is that the periodic task system itself isn't well understood by users and that the UI, in the interest of being simple and approachable to regular users, seems to intentionally hide too much information. The UI shows only "allowed" and "blocked" for tasks. However, the term "blocked' is used for three different things: 1) tasks that the user manually blocked by tapping the button labeled "block", 2) tasks that the OS has unscheduled because the task had repeated run-time errors, and 3) tasks that the OS has unscheduled because the user stopped using the app containing the task. Worse, the app doesn't even show the fourth category: apps that CAN do periodic updates, but haven't yet requested so.

Here's a quick mock-up of a better Settings page that calls the tasks what they are, shows what they do, and explain when and I some aren't working.
    periodictasks.png
    12-27-2013 11:58 AM
    I think Tizen will be a large problem for Samsung, if their Sense UI is anything to go by.
    12-27-2013 12:16 PM
    ^go put that on uservoice.windowsphone.com :D
    12-27-2013 12:24 PM
    If they unify all RT, Mobile, 8 and xbox they will have a complete ecosystem. That is unique to the windows brand. Also Office 365 can't be passed up easily at least I don't think so. I can't go a day without loading up my excel files because I have a strict financial plan. I'm sure there are great apps that do this as well but to have this file pretty much on all your devices is just too good.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-27-2013 12:31 PM
    A nice opinion, but I'll wait for the features that I use everyday in android to make it before I do any jumping.

Thanks to forums like this, I can see the things still missing in each release.
    I like you, you nice guy,but if you hear radder than at android central that may indicate android not so goood. C'mon over brother, then you can cry and cheer with the rest of us.
    12-27-2013 01:01 PM
    For me, there are many. One main thing matters with the whole Windows brand. It was a tough road for WPs and its amazing to see them still rising from the ashes (of Windows Mobiles) even today in between tough OS battles. But there is something Windows represents. The fact of people. PCs were crazy those days and it was mainly possible thanks to Windows. I know there's piracy and stuff but all of that was Windows and just Windows.

Today, when I tell someone about Windows Phones, they definitely get excited (except for creepy anti-WP fans who know about WP) because its Windows. But they trust that the phones can do nearly everything the PC could do. But we all know that that's not true, sadly.

What I would want would be for MS to take an ambitious step. I know they are already onto integrating Windows into WPs but that motive is not exactly what we think and its a slow process. What I would want is for MS to take the leap of faith and bring Windows to Windows Phones. It could be possible as we are at the micro and nano age. Anything's possible. If people could use their WPs as normal WPs and as Windows PCs, it'd make the Windows platform unbeatable. For that, they need to ditch everything and start from scratch.

I know its crazy and I know it won't happen in 2014 but image that. Its better to say this than to tell individual points like "we want Windows 8.1 like customization", or "we want multiple home screens" or even "we want more functions like the ones in android" and even "we want it be customizable till its core". If this happens, I can most proudly recommend WPs to anyone without having to hear an Android or iOS comment back.

MS can do this. I really dream for that day.
    12-27-2013 01:34 PM
    That type of menu would be good for troubleshooting purposes, but the average user only cares that the tiles aren't working as advertised. When I see that my Bing weather is still showing me the last manual update I did, days ago, it doesn't really matter why it's wrong, it matters that it can't be trusted. It never showed up as blocked except when I manually blocked it.

It seems like developers have really struggled to take advantage of live tiles, and I tend to think of that as a flaw in Windows phone itself
    12-27-2013 02:28 PM
    That type of menu would be good for troubleshooting purposes, but the average user only cares that the tiles aren't working as advertised. When I see that my Bing weather is still showing me the last manual update I did, days ago, it doesn't really matter why it's wrong, it matters that it can't be trusted. It never showed up as blocked except when I manually blocked it.

It seems like developers have really struggled to take advantage of live tiles, and I tend to think of that as a flaw in Windows phone itself
    I'm willing to agree with all of what you said. The only difference in what I showed and what's there now is the name of the page and the inclusion of a reason for why the tile didn't update. (This might help induce users to beat up on the developers to debug more before rolling out updates.)

In our app, we check the periodic task status each time the app starts. If it looks like the task is dead when the user asked for it to be alive, we own up to the fact that the tiles weren't updating because our code didn't work as expected and let them know that we have rescheduled the task so that tiles update in the future. If we can't reschedule the task, we let the user know why (i.e., they blocked the app, there are too many periodic tasks already scheduled, etc.). It may be overkill, but the language on the page is fairly non-technical and we don't want users to have to create a mythology around how the app works (and sometimes fails).
    12-27-2013 02:38 PM
    Makes sense. It's especially frustrating because live tiles were supposed to be one of the killer features of the platform, but turned out to be such a liability. Every time i see a weather tile that's clearly from a different day, or a scoreboard that hasn't been updated, it makes me regret my choice to move to windows phone.
    12-27-2013 03:01 PM
62 123