2014, could it finally be...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
We will get quad core with 1080p, while android will have that but with even higher resolution than 1080p.

well the only thing higher is 2k and 4k on a 5in or 6in screen but than again why would we need those type of resolutions on a small screen o.o and anything higher than a quad core in a phone is sorta ridiculous . I have a quad core in my computer and I don't need a hexa core or even octa core but its understandable in a computer but on a cellphone ? oh I know just for bragging rights but the battery life isn't there :p not attacking you just adding to what you said :p

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
The saying an enemy of my enemy is my friend... WP will gain traction, that's a given. How much I don't know. It's when iOS or Google making overtures to WP, that is the point when the mobile industry will change... More eggnog and fruitcake, bishop??

dropofdreams

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
It should be noted perhaps that there are already android devices with higher than 1080 resolutions and other with 8 cores...The predicted future above has existed for many months now.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I'll buy a wp this year, hell maybe two, or even three, when the os allows me to do everything android does.
Why not stick to android? Since it caters to your needs? Why are you forcing yourself to want a WP, when it "do everything android does". When you know WP will never be like android nor "do everything android does"?

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1 Why not stick to android? Since it caters to your needs?
2 Why are you forcing yourself to want a WP, when it "do everything android does".
3 When you know WP will never be like android nor "do everything android does"?

1Right now I am
2i like competition
3ive learned to not say 'never' as much

osoalex

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd really love to see "Download in the Windows Phone Store" logo beside the two giants in every app ad in 2014. When that moment reaches we can assume that the app gap is finally closed.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Put it this way, the new features coming to the OS will give people less reason to moan and complain about the OS, but like already mentioned - you can have the most polished and up together OS, people will still complain about it and find "problems". That goes with anything in life. There will always be people who go against the grain and have something to say about something so they feel like the smartest person in the room.

But yeah, 2014 is shippi up to be very good for MS.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes its completely possible.

I'll buy a wp this year, hell maybe two, or even three, when the os allows me to do everything android does.

I love competition in Mobile software, and want more of it. Right now, Android doesn't have competition. Apple doesn't care. They both have their cake and nothing to worry about. I want that to change, and make all the platforms WORK for the prize.
WP absolutely destroys android in its current state and it will only get better in the future. You may want to make the jump on board like the rest of us have.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd really love to see "Download in the Windows Phone Store" logo beside the two giants in every app ad in 2014. When that moment reaches we can assume that the app gap is finally closed.
That is absolutely key. Not only will we have the ear of all developers, but the consumer's mindset will change when it sees the Windows logo beside the robot and the fruit.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Catch up in 2014? No. Vastly continue market share? Let's hope so.

Let's be realistic. It's taken a couple years for WP to get where it's at now. It isn't going to envelop an additional 10-15% market share in the next twelve months. Android continues to pull out all the stops and Apple is sitting on TONS of cash. They know they didn't impress with the iPhone 5s/c and are going to get back into fighting shape, especially after being rewarded with some spiffy patents over the past couple months and growth for their overpriced tablets/laptops. The paid off media will cream their pants and iSheep everywhere will rejoice. And let's face it, the iPhone is still the "it" thing to have for tweens and teens. Looking around, it's easy to notice that if you're a kid and don't have an iPhone the peer pressure is pretty astounding, at least in the USA. If you have something else you might as well just recede back into the corner and sing Subdivisions by Rush. Ah, to be young, dumb, and naive.

It's all up to Microsoft. Many people outside of the U.S. have WP because of Nokia. With the handset division bought out, Microsoft has to give Nokia sheep a reason to stay on board. After that, they just have to continue to appease everyone. They must market smartly, cannot have haplessly incompetent PR, and continue to give reasons for developers and companies to port their apps over to WP. Yeah, I know, not Microsoft's strong suit. Obviously I want MS and WP to grow and succeed, but MS does dumb things, like improves their own products on other platforms before their own, and then remove things like Flickr/Facebook photo integration from the Photo Hub on Windows 8.1. GGGAAAHHH!!! It makes me pull my f**cking hair out. It always seems like one step forward one step back with those guys.

There are three major things MS needs to do to get MS on same market share as the others:

• Continue to get good quality first party apps
  • Change perceptions. WP must work to continue to change the mindset of the media, the carriers, and the people selling these phones
  • Offer people options that are missing from the other platforms and then market them so (please stop the pointless, zero content ads)

ALL consumers, WP users or not, should want WP to grow. More options = more competition = better / more inexpensive options for the consumer

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"The year that WP catches up with iOS and Android."

Do you realize how much of a step that would be? This platform, nor MSFT is ready for such a move. looking at the other end of the spectrum. Do you realize how much of a fall that would mean for AAPL and Sammy? Neither would allow such a move to happen. Such a move either way would put the entire industry in complete chaos.

mike13ftw

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone realize that quad core phones are really dumb? Most of the time, only 2 cores are being used.

in wp8 and IOS only because they freeze background apps. Android run a lot of apps at a time so that's why it needs more ram and CPU power . Look note 3 . I saw a YouTube video which was running 10 apps at the same time in the Same screen . Wp8 and IOS can't do that .

Sent from my Lumia 820 using Tapatalk

masterchief1984

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Its possible for this to happen. I really cant wait to see how Microsoft is going to incorporate their digital assistant. I respect them for keeping it at home by naming it "Cortana". That scores them a point. Hopefully the integration with WP8 and Windows RT will be something spectacular.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
WP absolutely destroys android in its current state and it will only get better in the future. You may want to make the jump on board like the rest of us have.

A nice opinion, but I'll wait for the features that I use everyday in android to make it before I do any jumping.

Thanks to forums like this, I can see the things still missing in each release.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

Well put. App numbers on either side are meaningless unless the developers themselves see the three platforms on a significant enough footing to make simultaneous releases, or at the very least simultaneous announcements.

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
With GDR3 and 8.1 coming in the next few months, there is definitely the potential for a lot of catching up. Certainly they seem to have crossed off a lot of the missing feature punch list, but questions will remain as to how well the fixes were implemented. Things like rotation lock, discrete volume control, and text ringtones are basics that should never have been left out, and if they aren't done right it will hurt the brand.

Fixing live tiles and notifications is a big part of catching up. The live tile system is pretty much broken, most 3rd party tiles are unreliable, and even some 1st party and partner ones can't be trusted. If I can't trust bing weather to have recent data, then the system is a joke. Given how good notifications are iphone and android, we really need a system with similar power. We also need developers on board to actually take advantage of the potential live tiles offer, too many of them are stuck in the iphone mentality of static icons.

There are still gaping holes in the app library too. We still don't have HBO Go, WatchESPN, NBC Live Extra, or Xfinity TV Go. There are lots of "official apps" that haven't made their way to Windows Phone. Even if their functionality is questionable, the more times consumers hear "download on iphone or android", the more they think Windows Phone isn't a contender.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077