Watch the June 24Windows 11 event right here

12-29-2013 11:23 AM
62 123
tools
    The year that WP catches up with iOS and Android. The year when reviews stop pointing out whats missing with the OS or the devices?

I mean 8.1 update expected pretty soon with much anticipated features, apps like IG finally here and many coming all the time and official FB app finally making progress (the updates need to keep coming). Not to mention new devices with quadcore processors, hd screens etc...

I know the other two are moving forward too, but I havent seen anything really inspiring lately. New things that came with iPhone 5s and GS4 like fingerprint reader or sensors that (try to) follow your eye movement are gimiggy or technology that does not function properly yet.

WP is really the only platform that offers something different and fresh. Im not thinking 2014 is the year WP will outsell either of the two, but the year when the complaining could stop (I have complained too and will keep doing so until Im satisfied).
    12-26-2013 01:26 PM
    I hope so, but I think the complaining will still happen. Unless WP can come out with something really unique to the platform that draws everyone to it, I think we will be hard-pressed to have the complaining stop.
    anon(123856) and snowmutt like this.
    12-26-2013 01:39 PM
    The complaining will never stop. So I wouldn't get my hopes up about that part.

Even iPhone and Android owners complain.

Complaining is like a highly popular international pastime.
    12-26-2013 01:40 PM
    We will get quad core with 1080p, while android will have that but with even higher resolution than 1080p.
    12-26-2013 01:46 PM
    The year that WP catches up with iOS and Android. The year when reviews stop pointing out whats missing with the OS or the devices?

I mean 8.1 update expected pretty soon with much anticipated features, apps like IG finally here and many coming all the time and official FB app finally making progress (the updates need to keep coming). Not to mention new devices with quadcore processors, hd screens etc...

I know the other two are moving forward too, but I havent seen anything really inspiring lately. New things that came with iPhone 5s and GS4 like fingerprint reader or sensors that (try to) follow your eye movement are gimiggy or technology that does not function properly yet.

WP is really the only platform that offers something different and fresh. Im not thinking 2014 is the year WP will outsell either of the two, but the year when the complaining could stop (I have complained too and will keep doing so until Im satisfied).
    Yes its completely possible.

I'll buy a wp this year, hell maybe two, or even three, when the os allows me to do everything android does.

I love competition in Mobile software, and want more of it. Right now, Android doesn't have competition. Apple doesn't care. They both have their cake and nothing to worry about. I want that to change, and make all the platforms WORK for the prize.
    Ek-Balam likes this.
    12-26-2013 01:46 PM
    Stop complaining ?? Nahhh even if peopel don't have anything, they will complain about the back button being on the left side

2014, will see nokia's Rise from the Ashes, i am expecting its market share to increase to atleast 3 times !! Let's hope for the best :D
    Loco5150 and snowmutt like this.
    12-26-2013 01:53 PM
    Android doesn't have competition.
    I don't think so :D
    12-26-2013 01:56 PM
    Soon Samsung will have 2k screens and 8 core CPUs. Probably before the damn 929 shows up and even when it does it will be sorely lagging behind. CES should be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12-26-2013 02:00 PM
    Android doesn't have competition. Apple doesn't care. They both have their cake and nothing to worry about.
    I think they both worry. Not because of WP, but the nature of the mobile industry. Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia, all have fallen very quickly. What has changed so that this will not happen again? Ecosystem? Might change things little, but I think when people start to move they will move very quickly.

Im sure Samsung knows that the numbers game of "100 cores" and whatnot cant last. Unless of course there is real function for it. (Photoshop on the phone? :D) Some random game running marginally faster is not real reason to raise manufacturing costs etc all the time. So for Samsung: enter Tizen?

Will see can Apple come up with something that is considered a real WOW factor. After Jobs they have not succeeded on doing so I think.
    ohgood and tgp like this.
    12-26-2013 02:41 PM
    I think they both worry. Not because of WP, but the nature of the mobile industry. Ericsson, Motorola and Nokia, all have fallen very quickly. What has changed so that this will not happen again? Ecosystem? Might change things little, but I think when people start to move they will move very quickly.

Im sure Samsung knows that the numbers game of "100 cores" and whatnot cant last. Unless of course there is real function for it. (Photoshop on the phone? :D) Some random game running marginally faster is not real reason to raise manufacturing costs etc all the time. So for Samsung: enter Tizen?

Will see can Apple come up with something that is considered a real WOW factor. After Jobs they have not succeeded on doing so I think.
    Very good points.
    12-26-2013 02:51 PM

I do think that Tizen is Android's biggest threat.

In devices, Samsung's name may actually be bigger, than Google's. If they choose to do their own thing, that will be a massive hit to Android.
    12-26-2013 02:51 PM
    I'm sure the development team will have some cool tricks up its sleeve in WP8.1. I'm so excited!
    snowmutt likes this.
    12-26-2013 02:56 PM
    I'm predicting 2015 Q3 will be when Microsoft really shines.
    12-26-2013 03:04 PM
    I'm predicting 2015 Q3 will be when Microsoft really shines.
    They predicted in 2015 awhile back, that Windows Phone will be #2. Maybe. :)
    12-26-2013 03:06 PM
    I think they both worry. Not because of WP,
    I agree. In opposition to the popular feeling on this forum, I do not believe that Google is holding back WP apps because they're scared of WP specifically. Google goes all out for iOS, which is a much bigger threat. I believe we'll see Google apps on WP if US market share hits 10 - 20%. Of course it's advantageous to Google if WP never takes off and potential WP users are using Android, but Google's primary industry is collecting user data, not providing an OS. Get a large enough market share to make the effort worthwhile, and the apps will be released.

but the nature of the mobile industry.
    The tech industry, and especially mobile, is fast moving to the degree of few other industries. Everybody involved needs to remain in high gear just to survive.

I do think that Tizen is Android's biggest threat.

In devices, Samsung's name may actually be bigger, than Google's. If they choose to do their own thing, that will be a massive hit to Android.
    Excellent point! Samsung is a large part of Android's current success. If Tizen succeeds, Google will need to do something drastic, and fast!
    12-26-2013 03:17 PM
    I hope so. I like WP, its a good OS with a lot more potential even. Heck, Im writing this from an Ativ S thats been running without hard reset 8 months and it still runs as fast, without lag like it was just booted for the first time.

Tizen might actually be a small problem for Samsung. I think they would need to start converting people to it before decline in Galaxy sales start. When that decline starts, most likely it will be too late. People are already moving and chainging the direction will be harder than making the initial push for the movement, that dictates the direction. Now Galaxy is still a milking cow, starting to push Tizen hard now could kill that without any guarantees of anything. Not to mention, Google will be pissed off like crazy. If WP is not getting any official Google apps, imagine if Samsung basically kills Android for Tizen :D hahaha.
    12-26-2013 03:23 PM
    In Europe it could be #2 in 2014, maybe even in Q2 2014. It is just under 10% marketshare in Europe. Few % behind iOS in France, not far behind in Germany and UK and some % infront of iOS in Italy. 2014 will be the year for WP in Europe and maybe in US if Verzion starts selling its 929 soon. About Android cores and resolutions, why would you need a QHD display on a phone ? I has sense on Tablet but not on a 5" phone. Ih you can live with FHD in your livingroom you can also live with FHD in your pocket ;).
    12-26-2013 03:25 PM
    I agree. In opposition to the popular feeling on this forum, I do not believe that Google is holding back WP apps because they're scared of WP specifically. Google goes all out for iOS, which is a much bigger threat. I believe we'll see Google apps on WP if US market share hits 10 - 20%. Of course it's advantageous to Google if WP never takes off and potential WP users are using Android, but Google's primary industry is collecting user data, not providing an OS. Get a large enough market share to make the effort worthwhile, and the apps will be released.

The tech industry, and especially mobile, is fast moving to the degree of few other industries. Everybody involved needs to remain in high gear just to survive.

Excellent point! Samsung is a large part of Android's current success. If Tizen succeeds, Google will need to do something drastic, and fast!
    Personally I think it is about the fear.

Google probably does not see Apple as a threat, not to a huge extent. Apple only goes after the high end customer. Google goes after every customers information :D its a different game. Only real threat for Google is someone that potentially can take people away from them in every pricepoint etc. Not to mention Apple is not on the search engine segment. MS is present in everyplace, thus posing at least a potential threat of putting Google out of business.

As for Samsung Im also sure they are fine with Apple. Yes, they would like to have that money too :D, but still,people want options. Always. So there is always room for Sammy too, no matter what Apple does.
    12-26-2013 03:40 PM
    All the smart watches, Google glasses and whatever, are only gimmigs. They will never gain any real traction. Glasses? Yes when it can be implemented on any glasses at your local optics. Before that, no one exept the geekiest guy from your campus will wear that crap. Or it has to bring REAL functionality. Give me teleporting and everyone will put that on their head no matter what they look like.

But Im sure Google for example knows this. Its not about them thinking everyone will buy this. Its about pushing the boundries, testing things, being on the road on finding the next big thing that is on its way. That way trying to secure the position in the mobile communications industry.

It seems at this moment that its something wearable. As a Finnish person the recent news about Nokia focusing on that segment makes me happy. Maybe Nokia will be a big name again in something we use daily ;)

Edit: this post being maybe little off topic, but still its about who comes up with something that will be big. Before that appears the companies need to be able innovate in the existing space. Samsung seem to be playing the numbers game, and Apple hasnt been able to do anything new basically in a little while. Like everyone here probably knows, WP truly is the freshest thing on the table. If MS finally could catch up in the obvious lags who knows?
    Last edited by Loco5150; 12-26-2013 at 04:18 PM.
    Rem97 likes this.
    12-26-2013 03:49 PM
    I imagine that Samsung is hoping to get Tizen to be at a point where it's almost like Kindle in a way. It will be something similar to Android, but unlike Kindle it is not built on Android.

Instead, Tizen will have a lot of things that look and feel familiar. It may even run Android apps. But there will also be a Samsung store where Samsung will hope to make a bunch of money.

If Samsung controlled their own app store, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a big impression by taking a whole bunch of high-end Tizen handsets and selling them at or below cost.
    12-26-2013 06:42 PM
    We will get quad core with 1080p, while android will have that but with even higher resolution than 1080p.
    well the only thing higher is 2k and 4k on a 5in or 6in screen but than again why would we need those type of resolutions on a small screen o.o and anything higher than a quad core in a phone is sorta ridiculous . I have a quad core in my computer and I don't need a hexa core or even octa core but its understandable in a computer but on a cellphone ? oh I know just for bragging rights but the battery life isn't there :P not attacking you just adding to what you said :P
    Deutscher2 likes this.
    12-26-2013 10:06 PM
    The saying an enemy of my enemy is my friend... WP will gain traction, that's a given. How much I don't know. It's when iOS or Google making overtures to WP, that is the point when the mobile industry will change... More eggnog and fruitcake, bishop??
    12-27-2013 02:52 AM
    It should be noted perhaps that there are already android devices with higher than 1080 resolutions and other with 8 cores...The predicted future above has existed for many months now.
    12-27-2013 03:21 AM
    I'll buy a wp this year, hell maybe two, or even three, when the os allows me to do everything android does.
    Why not stick to android? Since it caters to your needs? Why are you forcing yourself to want a WP, when it "do everything android does". When you know WP will never be like android nor "do everything android does"?
    12-27-2013 04:30 AM
    1 Why not stick to android? Since it caters to your needs?
    2 Why are you forcing yourself to want a WP, when it "do everything android does".
    3 When you know WP will never be like android nor "do everything android does"?
    1Right now I am
    2i like competition
    3ive learned to not say 'never' as much
    12-27-2013 04:36 AM
62 123